*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Man of Honour
You can ride a 50cc with no L plates if you have a driver's licence.

Once you have a CBT, it needs L plates (weird, I know). On a CBT you can ride up to 125cc on L plates apart from motorways or abroad and no pillion is allowed.

Only if you've had your licence since the late 90's iirc. That entitlement was removed sometime around then.

Soldato
I'm considering something like a Triumph Tiger 800. I quite like the upright seating position and I like the paniers and top box you can get with them. The screen gets a lot of abuse though.

Soldato
Worth giving a few bikes a go for riding position etc. as some can look the same as others but feel entirely different. I'm not sure what bike I'll get once I pass but I've been looking at SV650s, CBF600s, XJ6s / XJ6 Diversions but won't be set on any until I've passed and tested a few to see what fits me best. Chances are, initially I'll get a cheap SV as I'm bound to drop it, then something nicer / more expensive once I'm more experienced.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Will you drop it though? Lots of people say yes, but I can’t see how you could without doing something spectacularly silly.

Had mine for 5 months and never come close to dropping it.

Soldato
Will you drop it though? Lots of people say yes, but I can’t see how you could without doing something spectacularly silly.

Had mine for 5 months and never come close to dropping it.
Dropped the training bikes 3 times in 2 days... :D

I do agree, it's unlikely that I would drop it but if I did I'd be less fussed about dropping a cheaper bike. It's also partially a financial thing for me, it'll quicker to get onto a cheaper bike. But then I also do feel I want something fairly modern which means no cheaper bikes. I have plenty of time to actually decide what to do anyway really. :)

Man of Honour
thought about the SV, but dont really want that riding position,
Versys 650, maybe would prefer a honda though

anyone got a nc750x?
Have you tried the S and N models? They're two very different riding positions. The S has clip ons so is more sporty and hunched over whereas the N has normal bars and is much more upright.

Have you tried the S and N models? They're two very different riding positions. The S has clip ons so is more sporty and hunched over whereas the N has normal bars and is much more upright.

really have my heart set on a Honda, and wanting something really forgiving, dont want fast really just want something that will be easy and safe, well as safe as a bike can be
i think the cb500x tick all the boxes and great economy too, might have found one for £3k 15 plate with 5k on the clock will see, just a shame as its black which is not my first choice

Soldato
Mod 1 retest this morning, smashed it! :cool:

Not ridden since Nov 1st when I failed the mod 1 before and I had a 10:40 test today with a guy before me having a 10:10 test so didn't get much practice in at the training centre. We got in basically one run through each manoeuvre then off out to the test centre which isn't ideal but also didn't give me much time to worry about the stuff, just get on and do it basically.

No minors / rider faults or whatever they are called, U-turn was clean and I avoided the line also did 55 km/h on the avoidance and missed all the cones this time but my favourite number on the sheet is 68 km/h on the emergency stop. :D Felt the ABS kick in and stopped perfectly basically.

Next up, mod 2...going to have to be Jan due to work and other commitments in Dec but that's fine by me.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Awesome. I hated the fact that I had to do Mod 1 “cold”. What I mean is, I had zero time on the bike before the test and the only time I’d ridden the bike was some practice 4 days before.

It’s a bit like getting out of bed and someone challenging you to a 100M sprint. You start off shakey but it comes good, providing you can get over the initial adrenaline.

Back
Top Bottom