*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
Cheers guys. :)

Awesome. I hated the fact that I had to do Mod 1 “cold”. What I mean is, I had zero time on the bike before the test and the only time I’d ridden the bike was some practice 4 days before.

It’s a bit like getting out of bed and someone challenging you to a 100M sprint. You start off shakey but it comes good, providing you can get over the initial adrenaline.

I get what you mean.
I had a completely new (to me) bike too which meant I was initially worried about that at the training centre but didn't have time to think about it, just get on with a little bit of practice. What was annoying though, was having to wait whilst the other guy from my training centre had his mod 1, allows nerves to build up sitting in the waiting room.

Happy though that it's done and pleased with myself for doing it cleanly (and the speeds too), just need to arrange the time off work for mod 2.

Soldato
y4mpXGcAM5rXqKyG2PatCQCGjXCja3Ump-jiXGUdFF8WxWUSow2iRCnd0nVgQ2O7o4nWjU4ZZ7Qn_jZt5ErIC2vnYANMaw0vb4LJ9NgLRMDDxGyF0JzG-VNXtOUoAKTTDuRvVmwkDxvIyp4WpbzNQ065I_9onsdRzScT-46kjDCBYUvAaM8nVmOmhpGj7cTr-kWxZfxdLjpQO_GBQ2pFopgHA

y4m0mSNrmPIfY0ftwEck-6gCaQ1mHqO3HKhd4d23EnKVRaEPMaDA2vAW353J1dJOk_O9m4g8nWAqoq4o_kEexJnkY5pPGtPFTe22TJ8qvRvk3HO-Kjlo_DfHVALExn129QHGuOb9Ewqy8yVzezY-gZEcGGk-It65zC6Y4AS8bjSWyTbNsJ3yLAJLr0dFBnJYXB4DBVLa-9BzQ_d-nHEQSPq2Q

Totally thought I'd fail to be honest given I didn't think I'd done enough life savers (the two 'change direction' ones). I indicated right on a roundabout where I didn't need to hence the signalling one and as for the traffic signs one...short section of 70mph dual which I ripped it up and then it goes to a 30 which I clocked but didn't slow quickly enough before it, silly mistake really.
So pleased with the result even if I don't have a bike and probably won't be getting one for 6-12 months.

I can't thank or recommend Bristol Motorcycle Training Centre enough, really good people who don't just push for money or numbers but want you to pass. I was chatting with one of the reception ladies after about doing a refresher day when I get a bike and she suggested I don't go to them but instead ride with the police as there are some advanced training courses that plain clothed police run which are cheaper.

Soldato
Totally thought I'd fail to be honest given I didn't think I'd done enough life savers (the two 'change direction' ones). I indicated right on a roundabout where I didn't need to hence the signalling one and as for the traffic signs one...short section of 70mph dual which I ripped it up and then it goes to a 30 which I clocked but didn't slow quickly enough before it, silly mistake really.
So pleased with the result even if I don't have a bike and probably won't be getting one for 6-12 months.

I can't thank or recommend Bristol Motorcycle Training Centre enough, really good people who don't just push for money or numbers but want you to pass. I was chatting with one of the reception ladies after about doing a refresher day when I get a bike and she suggested I don't go to them but instead ride with the police as there are some advanced training courses that plain clothed police run which are cheaper.

Congratulations mate!

If you were talking to Sally about it, we had the same chat and she dispensed me the same advice. Bikesafe course during the summer for me, when I've had a bit more of a chance to develop my own riding style.

I couldn't recommend them enough either actually, lovely bunch of people, and a great success rate.

Soldato
Finally going to pluck the courage and get the full A passed. Passed my A2 nearly 3 years ago which is essentially the exact same test, same mod 1 and 2. Only difference being on something like a 395cc rather than a 595cc :rolleyes:.

Something to get booked in for the next few weeks. Hopefully will just need a days refresher on both mod 1 and mod 2.

Such a pain though as i have my bike gsf650 which fits in with the test specifications but not sure if i can use it for my test as supposed to be restricted. But then cant be restricted for the test, very confusing :(

Wanting to do it to get a new bike as my bike getting on now and wanting something with a touch more torque and power.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Finally going to pluck the courage and get the full A passed. Passed my A2 nearly 3 years ago which is essentially the exact same test, same mod 1 and 2. Only difference being on something like a 395cc rather than a 595cc :rolleyes:.

Something to get booked in for the next few weeks. Hopefully will just need a days refresher on both mod 1 and mod 2.

Such a pain though as i have my bike gsf650 which fits in with the test specifications but not sure if i can use it for my test as supposed to be restricted. But then cant be restricted for the test, very confusing :(

Wanting to do it to get a new bike as my bike getting on now and wanting something with a touch more torque and power.
Legally you won't be able to ride it to the test centre (if you've un-restricted it).

Of course, if you took the restriction off at the test centre then you can use it... but that probably won't be practical.

Soldato
I think insurance is the tricky bit. Riding an unrestricted bike in test conditions requires different insurance to your restricted bike.

Soldato
Legally you won't be able to ride it to the test centre (if you've un-restricted it).

Of course, if you took the restriction off at the test centre then you can use it... but that probably won't be practical.

Just have to get it passed and pay a little extra for rental of the bike at training centre. Going to get it booked in next week for some training. Been doing everything I can to help such as checks and different routes etc as ride it to work every shift.

Runs well for a 220kg 85ish hp bike but. Looking for something a bit nimble and a touch quicker. Thinking of mt09, hornet 900 something like that depending on price as next upgrade.

Soldato
Hey all,

Looking at getting my license.

Have only ever been on friends motorcross/enduro bikes around fields etc.

Got my theory booked, but was wondering if anyone would advise against doing my CBT then going straight into a DAS.

Obviously the riding experience you gain on a 125 would be good, but I don't really want to shell out for a 125 as it seems like you'd be looking at a minimum of 2k for something that isn't awful.

That and i'm 6'3", 110kgs so can't help but think i'd look ridiculous on a 125.

So my current plan is, theory, CBT & DAS within the space of a week or two, and for bikes im currently looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan SA.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
How good are you at stuff?

I appreciate, that sounds like a dumb question, but honestly, and be honest with yourself, are you generally good at stuff like this?

If so, why not, it'll be intense but if you get in to it why not? The bike control is only a part of the test, you only really need enough bike control, to well, control the bike, you dont need to be a "Street Rossi" for the test.

Do you drive a car also?

Soldato
Plenty of people I know did their CBT, MOD1/2 and theory test within 2 weeks but they got lucky with test dates.

Aim to do it all in one month, do your theory first before anything.

Soldato
How good are you at stuff?

I appreciate, that sounds like a dumb question, but honestly, and be honest with yourself, are you generally good at stuff like this?

If so, why not, it'll be intense but if you get in to it why not? The bike control is only a part of the test, you only really need enough bike control, to well, control the bike, you dont need to be a "Street Rossi" for the test.

Do you drive a car also?

Haha I do get the question, and yeah I like to think i'm pretty good at "stuff." Pick things up quickly and passed driving test first time with ease, and now drive 20-30k miles a year with work, exclusively in vans which is why I want a bike so I can enjoy getting our for a ride/drive again on these fine summer evenings.

I've done a lot of proper downhill mountain biking so have good "bike" control, i'm not sure if that transfers?

Yours was just the answer I need, think i'm nervous as it will be the first "test" i've taken since my driving test haha!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Vulcan S? I like the cruiser style bikes but don't really fancy the Harley lifestyle, that along with the cost of the things...

Soldato
I'm in the same position as you although, i'm 40 and don't drive at all.

I have my theory test on the 20th and my CBT booked for the 27th of this month and have just started to revise now, i don't want to get a 125 since the ones i would go for would cost around 2.5 - 3k and i might have trouble shifting it on to someone else + i want to be able to go on motorways.

I'm pretty tall also at 6'4" and i'll be going for a supermoto type of bike, i'll probably get my DAS booked for my next holiday in August if possible.

What kind of bikes have you been looking at?, if i got a 125 i would go for a Yamaha WR125R.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha I do get the question, and yeah I like to think i'm pretty good at "stuff." Pick things up quickly and passed driving test first time with ease, and now drive 20-30k miles a year with work, exclusively in vans which is why I want a bike so I can enjoy getting our for a ride/drive again on these fine summer evenings.

I've done a lot of proper downhill mountain biking so have good "bike" control, i'm not sure if that transfers?

Yours was just the answer I need, think i'm nervous as it will be the first "test" i've taken since my driving test haha!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Vulcan S? I like the cruiser style bikes but don't really fancy the Harley lifestyle, that along with the cost of the things...
Get your CBT booked, and see if you like it to start. If you do, then get the theory test done and start shopping around for DAS courses.

I presume you're over 24, if so you get the full L licence straight away.

There are some big 125cc bikes, but at your weight they'll be slower than slow!! I'm 6ft 3in but only 80ish kg, but I had a honda varedero as my 125 a few years back.

MTB skills do transfer over, and they don't - if you do any riding in traffic you'll have some decent awareness skills, but a 14kg MTB is a very different beast to a 140-200kg motorbike :D

Soldato
Get your CBT booked, and see if you like it to start. If you do, then get the theory test done and start shopping around for DAS courses.

There are some big 125cc bikes, but at your weight they'll be slower than slow!! I'm 6ft 3in but only 80ish kg, but I had a honda varedero as my 125 a few years back.

MTB skills do transfer over, and they don't - if you do any riding in traffic you'll have some decent awareness skills, but a 14kg MTB is a very different beast to a 140-200kg motorbike :D
Erm, Full A licence ;)

Soldato
I'm in the same position as you although, i'm 40 and don't drive at all.

I have my theory test on the 20th and my CBT booked for the 27th of this month and have just started to revise now, i don't want to get a 125 since the ones i would go for would cost around 2.5 - 3k and i might have trouble shifting it on to someone else + i want to be able to go on motorways.

I'm pretty tall also at 6'4" and i'll be going for a supermoto type of bike, i'll probably get my DAS booked for my next holiday in August if possible.

What kind of bikes have you been looking at?, if i got a 125 i would go for a Yamaha WR125R.

I’ve gone through years of saying I’m going to do it and never getting round to it, but a few years ago I was looking at the Varaderos and they looked nice! They hold a lot of value though, and as you say, with the lack of decent, cheap bikes around, you’re going to end up dropping a few grand on a 125 then take a hit on it six months later when you move to something bigger. That’s the way I see it anyway.

As you do when getting into something like this I’ve spent countless hours looking at bikes and the Kawasaki Vulcan S really gripped me, has a Ninja engine in it tuned to be a bit more tourque-ey apparently, looks like a lightweight cruiser but has great handling as well!

Yeah what I’m going to do I imagine, booked my Theory first as it’s cheap and once I start the process I’ll have the motivation to follow it all through rather than just talking about it!

Yep over 24 so will go straight in.

And yeah I’m not a small person, the lightest I’ll ever realistically be is 100kg to be honest, hence my desire to just go straight on to something which can carry my fat arse haha!

Soldato

I presume you're over 24, if so you get the full A licence straight away.

This is what I did although I didn't do an intensive course. I booked my CBT last year in August to see if I actually would like riding bikes especially with the crazy car drivers around here (always wanted to, just never got round to trying), really enjoyed it so I then booked my theory and spoke to the training centre about doing my A license. I spread things out over about 6 months and had never ridden a bike before my CBT so for my mod 1 I had a few days training (and failed it first time :D) then a few months later had another couple of days training and did the mod 2 (passed first time). I only had practice on the training centre bikes, didn't bother with a 125 of my own or anything.

You certainly don't need to spread it out but I did it for a couple of reasons, mostly to spread the cost but also because I was new to it all I didn't fancy doing an intensive week of learning. I found that doing lots of training for the mod 1 really took a lot of energy and was quite drained by the time I did the test and I think that (along with dropping the bike in practice the day before :p ) was a large contributor to my failing the test. Unless you're used to riding a lot every day I'm not sure it's all that sensible to do an intensive course really, especially if you do end up failing the mod 1.

I'm still without a bike although I do want one but the main reason for getting the license is now it means I can get a bike whenever I like and not have to worry about doing the tests.

Back
Top Bottom