*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
This is what I did although I didn't do an intensive course. I booked my CBT last year in August to see if I actually would like riding bikes especially with the crazy car drivers around here (always wanted to, just never got round to trying), really enjoyed it so I then booked my theory and spoke to the training centre about doing my A license. I spread things out over about 6 months and had never ridden a bike before my CBT so for my mod 1 I had a few days training (and failed it first time :D) then a few months later had another couple of days training and did the mod 2 (passed first time). I only had practice on the training centre bikes, didn't bother with a 125 of my own or anything.

You certainly don't need to spread it out but I did it for a couple of reasons, mostly to spread the cost but also because I was new to it all I didn't fancy doing an intensive week of learning. I found that doing lots of training for the mod 1 really took a lot of energy and was quite drained by the time I did the test and I think that (along with dropping the bike in practice the day before :p ) was a large contributor to my failing the test. Unless you're used to riding a lot every day I'm not sure it's all that sensible to do an intensive course really, especially if you do end up failing the mod 1.

I'm still without a bike although I do want one but the main reason for getting the license is now it means I can get a bike whenever I like and not have to worry about doing the tests.

How much was your training? Was it per hour/day?

I'll probably try to not get a bike straight after my mod2, because it's the right financial decision, but yeah, I think i'm going to struggle...

Soldato
How much was your training? Was it per hour/day?

I'll probably try to not get a bike straight after my mod2, because it's the right financial decision, but yeah, I think i'm going to struggle...

I just grabbed this from another thread I posted in about it..

Training
CBT: £125
Theory: £23
Mod 1: £573.50 (Test is £15.50 x2 of that)
Mod 2: £467.50 (Test is £75 of that)
Total: £1189

...so I had a bit more cost due to extra training and a second mod 1 but the full cost (before gear) is around £1k in Bristol. The training centre I used cost £155pd inclusive of everything apart from test fees, although the CBT cost included everything.

If you've ridden before and the training centre you use is sensible they will be able to assess your level of competency when doing the CBT and advise how much mod 1 or mod 2 training you'll likely need to be comfortable on the bikes and then pass.

For me, getting a bike is hindered by safe space to store mostly due to living in an area known for motorcycle theft which I guess financially works well for me. :p

Soldato
Erm, Full A licence ;)
Typo :p

So to give another idea for costs, I did 6 months and about 7000 miles on a 125 doing my full test, I did it over 3 days (half days really) with the mod1 at 9am on the 3rd day, and mod2 at 12pm the same day. B padded both first time! Total cost was under £600 Inc the tests, and because I already had a decent amount of riding it was mainly just practicing the slow speed stuff and polishing up my road riding.

Associate
Obviously the riding experience you gain on a 125 would be good, but I don't really want to shell out for a 125 as it seems like you'd be looking at a minimum of 2k for something that isn't awful.

The riding experience is priceless, plus it will likely mean you will need less training and therefore cost you less for lessons. (I had my 125 for around 16 months and I think that helped massively because IIRC I had a lesson "to see where I was at" and was advised to go straight for Direct Access which I sailed through, unlike other tests).

I paid £1500 for a 2 year old YBR 125 with just under 1100 miles on it, traded it in at about 3.5 years old with 3000 miles on it against my R1 and got £1300 easily, they were still selling for more privately as there is a strong market for them as learner bikes.

That and i'm 6'3", 110kgs so can't help but think i'd look ridiculous on a 125.

Any thoughts?

Dont worry about looking ridiculous, just stay away from large glass buildings because I'm very similar size/weight and i absolutely looked ridiculous. :D

I’ve gone through years of saying I’m going to do it and never getting round to it, but a few years ago I was looking at the Varaderos and they looked nice! They hold a lot of value though, and as you say, with the lack of decent, cheap bikes around, you’re going to end up dropping a few grand on a 125 then take a hit on it six months later when you move to something bigger. That’s the way I see it anyway.
As above, I doubt you'd have trouble selling it on without losing hardly anything on it, so ends up cheap commuting for a few months.

Soldato
Read online they are thinking about revising the A2-A license with a basic training course it can be upgraded as long as the trainer is happy with your riding. Being looked at end of 2018/early 2019.

Likely I’ll be waiting until next year... Again. So frustrating I just want to pull my hair out.

Contacted a couple of schools about the mod1/mod 2 for A2-A license. None have had any tests available without booking multiple days off for training/tests of which I don’t have many left. Talking a few test days available per month. Couldn’t do it in June due to work, Nothing available in July, nothing available in August. Test dates for sept not available yet.

Been wanting to upgrade my bike for nearly a year now and still not got anywhere.

Frustrated is an understatement as I have already paid £800-1000ish for mod1/mod2 on A2 and looking at atleast another £400 for mod1/2 again. All to test on a bike with something as low as 7bhp difference between A2 and full A tests. Talking 6 years riding experience at this point.

Tempted just to leave it to be fair and stick to car until it gets revised.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you able to travel a bit to do the tests? I guess most places might actually be busy due to being summer months and people thinking it's the best thing ever to get a bike but there was only ever roughly a month wait in Bristol for tests so I'm wondering it there is another local-ish to you city that has a test centre with better availability.

Soldato
Are you able to travel a bit to do the tests? I guess most places might actually be busy due to being summer months and people thinking it's the best thing ever to get a bike but there was only ever roughly a month wait in Bristol for tests so I'm wondering it there is another local-ish to you city that has a test centre with better availability.

This is what i'm talking about :rolleyes::confused::(:mad:. It has been pretty much this date for a good month or two now. Even on the actual website when you select and book a date. I could have had it at the end of july but was slap bang in the middle of my night shifts. Meaning 2-3nights to book off for test and training, sleep etc. Just don't have that many holidays left at this time of year.

QSrRiAq.jpg.png
I could get it slightly earlier but it means a 70mile round trip and i highly doubt the instructor would be willing to take me. Being 30miles away from the other testing centre and 30miles away from their training facility.

Such a pain to be honest. I'm guessing because everyone wants to do their tests like you say.

Going to have to keep my eye out for any decent dates (where i only have to book a single holiday or none) this year where i can do it and get it booked in but its highly likely its looking like next year now as i will have more holidays and hopefully more dates available.

Soldato
...snip...

Geeeezzz that's bad and super annoying. Do you have to book it all yourself then? One of the things I liked about the training centre I used is that they book it all. I assume they are assigned a bunch of dates & times they can book tests in by the test centre meaning there was generally no real wait. I think my mod 1 and mod 2 were both about 3 week wait at the shortest although I pushed them back to 4-6 weeks to ensure I had time off, pay day etc. I guess if they are given dates by the test centre then it does mean that someone trying to book it themselves would probably be unable to get anything within a sensible timeframe.

And yeah, being summer / sunny probably doesn't help either which is annoying, it could also just be that your area is a hot pot for people wanting to get their bike licenses.

I did my CBT at the end of August and then mod 1 & mod 2 were something like Nov - Jan, so likely less people out to get tests although both the training and test centres were busy. I actually wanted to do my training and tests over winter as it meant I'd get some experience in driving in adverse conditions...which I did when I had to basically ford a dual carriageway in the rain!
I didn't want to get my CBT and spend money on a 125 as I'm old enough to just do the full cat A, so no winter experience on a smaller bike.

Soldato
Geeeezzz that's bad and super annoying. Do you have to book it all yourself then? One of the things I liked about the training centre I used is that they book it all. I assume they are assigned a bunch of dates & times they can book tests in by the test centre meaning there was generally no real wait. I think my mod 1 and mod 2 were both about 3 week wait at the shortest although I pushed them back to 4-6 weeks to ensure I had time off, pay day etc. I guess if they are given dates by the test centre then it does mean that someone trying to book it themselves would probably be unable to get anything within a sensible timeframe.

And yeah, being summer / sunny probably doesn't help either which is annoying, it could also just be that your area is a hot pot for people wanting to get their bike licenses.

I did my CBT at the end of August and then mod 1 & mod 2 were something like Nov - Jan, so likely less people out to get tests although both the training and test centres were busy. I actually wanted to do my training and tests over winter as it meant I'd get some experience in driving in adverse conditions...which I did when I had to basically ford a dual carriageway in the rain!
I didn't want to get my CBT and spend money on a 125 as I'm old enough to just do the full cat A, so no winter experience on a smaller bike.

I was just looking at dates really. Also have contacted the training centre and they too are saying similar dates in September. So Yeah it must just be my centre is quite popular. All the training centres (3-4) around me are in 1 mile proximity so likely why. i’ve really been wanting to do it this year and after the really long/bad winter we’ve had it’s pushed everything way forward.

I’m still on A2 currently which is essentially the same tests as on the full A license both mod 1 and 2 I have taken and passed all be it a slightly smaller power for the tests. Can be as little as 7bhp, 395 minimum for A2 and 595cc minimum depending on the bikes in question.

Which means in theory I could book it and ride to the test centre myself as my current bike fits the testing standards, is 656cc. Only problem is it’s supposed ;) to be restricted and therefore only produce 47bhp. But if I took it there restricted it would be under the power requirements for the full A test. Meaning I couldn’t do the test on it without getting someone to ride it there unrestricted :rolleyes:.

So therefore I have no other option but to do the training and rent a bike for the tests there.

All a shambles if you ask me. I fully understand the 2yr restriction. But after that it’s just money grabbing IMO, or they don’t want bikes on the road. especially when you take into account the differences in possible power to upgrade licences. 7bhp in some cases.

Or you can do your full test at 24 on a 60hp bike then go out and buy a 200bhp+ race bike. Makes little sense to me.

I’ve ridden the last 5 winters lol including the last one which was pretty bad. Although I wouldn’t want to do the tests in it.

I’ve seen quite a few places online that end of 2018 early 2019 they are making some updates and changes to the motorcycle testing again. One of those changes proposed will be an upgrade from A2-full A license after 2 years then certain amount of hours training on a bigger bike with instructor.

So might just wait and see what’s happening there but will still keep my eye out for test dates this year/next year as knowing my luck (which is usually plain ****) will be 2029 when it’s next updated.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You may well find that training schools have secured big blocks of test dates, due to summer popularity. Give it to September when the weather turns and you'll be waiting a week or less.

Soldato
This was the exact reason why I had 4 - 6 week gaps between CBT, Mod 1 and Mod 2. It took me four months to get my full license, purely because of delays on training / tests because it's a nice summer, and mentally busy as a result.

Soldato
Passed my theory today no problems, i've got a week off at the end of August and one in September.

I'll speak to the guy next Friday when doing my CBT to see if i can get my DAS done then.

Soldato
:D :D

Just had a call from an instructor I’ve been chatting too about A2 to A training/tests and they have a date come free for mod 1 available on the 13th August. So got that booked in straight away. Luckily its on my first night shift so means got until 7pm when I’m needed at work to get it done.

Also means I have from 9th all the way to the 13th for any available training.

Might finally be starting to have some luck after all!

giphy.gif

Soldato
Hello I’ve recently booked up a CBT for September as I am starting the process to gain full bike licence. Would you guys recommend me starting to get my own gear now and even maybe turning up to CBT with own kit maybe not fully kitted our but some stuff like gloves boots etc. ?

Just to mention I don’t actually own a bike and prob won’t own a bike until next Easter time. But I aim to try get the full licence before end of the year really.

I’m basically a novice. So is this even realistic getting the full licence within a few month ?

I’m 31 with full car licence. I have rode trials bikes in the past but when I was very young :)

Also any recommendations on kit and security kit and tips for when I eventually own a bike.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Yes get your own kit if you know you're going to stick with it.
School kit is normally honking and you never know if it's actually going to fit.

Going from nothing to full licence is very achievable as long as you can get the test dates.

Soldato
Yes get your own kit if you know you're going to stick with it.
School kit is normally honking and you never know if it's actually going to fit.

Because I wasn't sure if I'd be sticking with it when I did my CBT I used my own helmet, some normal jeans, borrowed boots and gloves from a mate and used a jacket from the school. I can confirm that school jackets do indeed honk, so, so bad. :(

Once I decided though I bought gear then booked in to do my mod 1 and spaced everything out doing one item a month and aimed to get it done before the end of the year too.
So iirc I did: Aug - CBT, Sept - Gear, Oct - Theory, early Nov - mod 1, late Nov - mod 1 resit, Jan - mod 2.
I had never ridden before at all and didn't have a bike to practice on between the training for each part so I'm sure if you've had prior experience then you'll be fine to get through it quickly (I also wanted to space it to hurt the wallet less). As tom_e says it's down to available dates really but in autumn and winter there are less people doing tests.

Soldato
Cheers.

Yes I definitely intend on keeping it for sure. Always wanted to gain bike licence. It will only be casual riding anyway, probably just nice days riding to days out.

The place I was looking at offer block hours so 8hrs worth of training up to like 20hrs or whatever. Are these the direct access courses where you just smash the whole thing within the week? If this is a possibility I could take a week or 2 weeks off work November/December and then do it all in one go. Minus cbt and theory which I want doing before October. I guess I’ll see what happens on cbt as to judge how many hrs I’ll need.

Back
Top Bottom