*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Soldato
Sounds sensible.
One thing I would warn about with doing intensive courses is how tiring training can be, part of the reason I failed my mod 1 first time was due to it being on the afternoon of the third day of training and just wasn't able to concentrate properly etc.

Soldato
Cheers.

Yes I definitely intend on keeping it for sure. Always wanted to gain bike licence. It will only be casual riding anyway, probably just nice days riding to days out.

The place I was looking at offer block hours so 8hrs worth of training up to like 20hrs or whatever. Are these the direct access courses where you just smash the whole thing within the week? If this is a possibility I could take a week or 2 weeks off work November/December and then do it all in one go. Minus cbt and theory which I want doing before October. I guess I’ll see what happens on cbt as to judge how many hrs I’ll need.
Depending on dates, if you are lucky you could possibly get your MOD1 and MOD2 in the same week but it's not very common, also remember that if you fail your MOD1 or MOD2, you have to wait 10 days before you can take it again.

I did my Theory first before even booking my DAS course as without it, you can't start training.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I booked the CBT, then immediately did the theory whilst I waited for some dates. Shortly after the theory I’d done the CBT and went straight to book the Mod 1.

Don’t make the mistake that some people do and wait until you’ve done the CBT. Get the theory done as soon as you can, it won’t hurt.

Soldato
Cheers.

Yes I definitely intend on keeping it for sure. Always wanted to gain bike licence. It will only be casual riding anyway, probably just nice days riding to days out.

The place I was looking at offer block hours so 8hrs worth of training up to like 20hrs or whatever. Are these the direct access courses where you just smash the whole thing within the week? If this is a possibility I could take a week or 2 weeks off work November/December and then do it all in one go. Minus cbt and theory which I want doing before October. I guess I’ll see what happens on cbt as to judge how many hrs I’ll need.

Good advice from others to get the theory sorted ASAP. That will save you a good deal of time.

It can take quite a bit longer than your standard car test as you have to do mod 1 and mod 2. Both are not particularly difficult. It just can take a while depending on if you fail, dates available, training etc. While you can do them both pretty quickly and inside of a week or two it’s the 10 day minimum wait if you fail.

You’re probably talking 20 hours of training I would guess depending on your skill level.

I passed my mod 1 first time and mod 2 second time and that took three months all included with I think 20ish hours of training.

Now I have to do it all over again just to get full A license as I am only on A2 at the minute. The joys... booked in now though :) :( :mad:

Soldato
Good advice from others to get the theory sorted ASAP. That will save you a good deal of time.

It can take quite a bit longer than your standard car test as you have to do mod 1 and mod 2. Both are not particularly difficult. It just can take a while depending on if you fail, dates available, training etc. While you can do them both pretty quickly and inside of a week or two it’s the 10 day minimum wait if you fail.

You’re probably talking 20 hours of training I would guess depending on your skill level.

I passed my mod 1 first time and mod 2 second time and that took three months all included with I think 20ish hours of training.

Now I have to do it all over again just to get full A license as I am only on A2 at the minute. The joys... booked in now though :) :( :mad:

Absolute madness that you have to do both full tests again to convert to full A license!

Soldato
Absolute madness that you have to do both full tests again to convert to full A license!

Yep :( :mad: Aaaannnddd I did have to cancel my mod1 aswell! Got the wrong dates and having to change it to sept now as I’m on holiday middle-end of August. Feeeeeeeerrrrrkkkkiinneeeeelll!!!

Part of me thinks keep going and just get it done again. Other part thinks why should I have to spend another £500+, and wait as I know the license is changing soon so you just have to do some training to upgrade.

I just don’t know what to do anymore. I blame my mate, he let me have a go on his fireblade the other month and made me want to upgrade more than ever :D :p

Good, someone needs to make those filthy yoofs suffer ;)

giphy.gif

I certainly would like to know which cabbage came up with the new changes :p :D

Commissario
So my CBT is booked for 31st August, I've asked the trainer about what to wear but they're just said they provide all necessary gear. I don't want to rock up in shorts and a tee so does anyone have any suggestions?

Also in people's experience, how long does the CBT take? I'm booked for for 8:30.

Soldato
So my CBT is booked for 31st August, I've asked the trainer about what to wear but they're just said they provide all necessary gear. I don't want to rock up in shorts and a tee so does anyone have any suggestions?

Also in people's experience, how long does the CBT take? I'm booked for for 8:30.

Ideally you want to be in full race one-piece leathers.

:p

It lasts all day, you will have training on the bike and road rules etc. and then taken out for an hour assessment whilst riding on the road.

Gear-wise, most centres do have jackets, helmets and gloves but they don't tend to have trousers or boots. I wore some normal jeans and borrowed some gloves + boots off a mate. I used the training centre's jacket (which smelt lovely...) and my own older helmet.
Don't wear shorts or trackies, they'd not protect you from anything in an off.

E: If you're serious about getting your license then I would advise buying some boots and gloves to be honest as they aren't an awful cost and you'll want them later on / when doing further training and tests.
I did the CBT to see if I'd like riding bikes so didn't want to spend on stuff I may never use, hence borrowing stuff and wearing jeans.

Soldato
Mine started at 0845 and lasted until around 1630 and two hours of that was on the road.

I actually couldn't recall if it was 1 or two hours on the road, thinking about it I recall them saying something like needing a minimum of 1 hour on the road and I'm sure I did have longer so that sounds about the same as mine. Mine started around 9 and finished around 4.30 too.

Back
Top Bottom