*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
Hi,

just wanted to ask some questions as I am looking to buy a bike in the new year.

Am I right in thinking that you can ride a 125CC with L plates and no passenger after just a CBT

And to take off the l plates and carry a passenger you need to pass the theory test?

Please correct me if wrong as looking to book CBT in as early as today LoL

Man of Honour
Hi,

just wanted to ask some questions as I am looking to buy a bike in the new year.

Am I right in thinking that you can ride a 125CC with L plates and no passenger after just a CBT

And to take off the l plates and carry a passenger you need to pass the theory test?

Please correct me if wrong as looking to book CBT in as early as today LoL
Correct for the first bit, wrong for the 2nd bit.

If you want to ride just up to a 125 with pilly and no l plates you need to pass A1 test which means doing your theory and then your mod 1&2 practical.

If you're over 24 it's pointless might as well go for your full A licence as it's the same process just on a bigger bike, if you're over 17 again bit pointless going for your A1 might as well do your A2 which opens your choice up to slightly more powerful bikes.

Associate

If you want to ride just up to a 125 with pilly and no l plates you need to pass A1 test which means doing your theory and then your mod 1&2 practical.

If you're over 24 it's pointless might as well go for your full A licence as it's the same process just on a bigger bike, if you're over 17 again bit pointless going for your A1 might as well do your A2 which opens your choice up to slightly more powerful bikes.
Cheers for the info mate. I am 18. 19 in jan. I wanna get riding asap for commuting then work on my theory and practical to remove the l plates and get a bigger bike.

Can I ask what a pilly is?

Associate
Pilly - Pillion, carrying a passenger :)

Thanks for the advice. Went and bought a kawasaki ninja 125 2020. CBT on 22nd then hopefully can drive it home :D. Only went for a helmet and walked out with a new bike and full gear haha. will post pics end of month ;D

Transmission breaker
Don
Thanks for the advice. Went and bought a kawasaki ninja 125 2020. CBT on 22nd then hopefully can drive it home :D. Only went for a helmet and walked out with a new bike and full gear haha. will post pics end of month ;D

Haha! Good luck, in all honesty the CBT is a joke, so provided you don't fall over LOTs, and actually survive the day, you will get your certificate :D

Just remember the old saying, "The day you pass is the day you start learning" and you will be in a good position :)

Man of Honour
Nice, it's not the greatest time of year to have your first bike experience but it definitely means if you like it now you'll love it come the warm weather.
I did my CBT at the end of October 6 years ago and rode all through winter, including throwing it down sheet ice once or twice :o

Associate
Haha! Good luck, in all honesty the CBT is a joke, so provided you don't fall over LOTs, and actually survive the day, you will get your certificate :D

Just remember the old saying, "The day you pass is the day you start learning" and you will be in a good position :)

Thank you for the words. I am defo nervous lots of anxiety atm and probs will carry on until the day. Your statement has eased my nerves a little tho haha. What should i take to wear on my cbt? just take my helmet and gloves?

Associate
Nice, it's not the greatest time of year to have your first bike experience but it definitely means if you like it now you'll love it come the warm weather.
I did my CBT at the end of October 6 years ago and rode all through winter, including throwing it down sheet ice once or twice :o

Your right but the positive being that as it isnt the best weather+Christmas the roads will be pretty empty giving me some valuable time to practice before i go back to work :D

Transmission breaker
Don
Thank you for the words. I am defo nervous lots of anxiety atm and probs will carry on until the day. Your statement has eased my nerves a little tho haha. What should i take to wear on my cbt? just take my helmet and gloves?
Gloves and Helmet are essential. Including layers you can take off if needed.
If you have waterproofs they would be a good idea to take with you just to make the day more enjoyable if it's throwing it down.
At the least, wear sturdy footwear, boots if you have them, along with any other bike jacket/trousers.

They will put you on the bike, get you used to the controls in a safe space, and when they think you have basic controls down, and can follow directions, out on the road to get some practice.

You will be fine. I have seen halfwits with all the control of a slinky on a slope get through the CBT :D

Associate
Gloves and Helmet are essential. Including layers you can take off if needed.
If you have waterproofs they would be a good idea to take with you just to make the day more enjoyable if it's throwing it down.
At the least, wear sturdy footwear, boots if you have them, along with any other bike jacket/trousers.

They will put you on the bike, get you used to the controls in a safe space, and when they think you have basic controls down, and can follow directions, out on the road to get some practice.

You will be fine. I have seen halfwits with all the control of a slinky on a slope get through the CBT :D

Okay thank you :D. Im just worried about how long it will take me to pick up things like clutch control biting point and gear changes

Associate
I know I found there was a “eureka” moment. I’d mess up all the gear changes, forget to pull the clutch in on stops and stall. Every. Single. Time. Then there came a moment where it all clicked into place and it was like I’d been riding for ages. Put a huge smile on my face, that moment did :)

Soldato
Good luck all.

See you out there on big bikes soon :D
Cheers. My dad has a Yamaha FZ 750 Genesis (1989) which i've hankered or since I was like 8 years old...

He is giving it to me, but on my A2 license I can't ride it! So need to fix it. Just hope I pass it, because it is my birthday a week later and would love to ride it somewhere!

Back
Top Bottom