• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Soldato
it was a bit longer if I remember correctly but its mostly a plastic shroud (actual cooler is no bigger) which felt quite flimsy plus the 6 pin power connector was a pita to get to which is why it comes with an extension on, if you want to use pre braided cables etc then it can be a little awkward other than that like you say it is down to personal preference but I think the MSI is the better card generally

Associate
Help guys. I have a HIS IceQ X 7850. The ASCI is 77.8%. In GPU Tweak I can change the voltage, but can't go past 1050mhz on the core clock or 1450mhz on the memory clock which I run stable at. Same thing for MSI Afterburner. In Sapphire Trixx, which is what I use now, I believe that I'm stable at 1124mhz on the core clock and 1396mhz on the memory clock at 1.138 stock volts. I can't change the volts in Trixx, but it gives me the option to go up to 1400mhz on the core clock and 1800mhz on the memory clock. I don't want to go that far lol, cause it won't be stable. But I want to see how far my card can go at a max voltage of 1.25. Help me? :confused:

unibench.png

Last edited:
Associate
Help guys. I have a HIS IceQ X 7850. The ASCI is 77.8%. In GPU Tweak I can change the voltage, but can't go past 1050mhz on the core clock or 1450mhz on the memory clock which I run stable at. Same thing for MSI Afterburner. In Sapphire Trixx, which is what I use now, I believe that I'm stable at 1124mhz on the core clock and 1396mhz on the memory clock at 1.138 stock volts. I can't change the volts in Trixx, but it gives me the option to go up to 1400mhz on the core clock and 1800mhz on the memory clock. I don't want to go that far lol, cause it won't be stable. But I want to see how far my card can go at a max voltage of 1.25. Help me? :confused:

unibench.png

Someone said something about the Asus GPU Tweak should be able to go over the 1050. See post http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21623164&postcount=11

Soldato
It seems that there are some who think that the decent overclocks the HD7850 shows,are a fluke and that if you want to play games at 1680X1050 at decent settings and framerates you need a £300+ CPU.

Maybe it is a good idea a list of the HD7850 cards in this thread is made,and the maximum overclock figures put into a table?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, I have an Asus DCII 7850 and I'm not sure of I have stress tested it enough. I was lazy and just jumped straight to 1050,1100,1150 all the while keeping my voltage at stock 1130mV (i think I'm not sure if its stock but its the lowest gputweak would go for volts)

I did 3 cycles of heaven and furmark no artifacting or crashing, temps of 75 in heaven and quite a hot 82C in furmark at 1100/4840.

Is that enough stress testing? I did 5 min of crysis 2 and bf3 respectively.

Most of you guys here English? this is the biggest 7850 overclocking thread outside of anandtech

Edit: I think I'm getting quite low scores on heaven and furmark, although my heaven settings r different from you guys, I have 1920 x1080 I basically maxed everything on the first screen of heaven and was getting 920 on 1100/4840 (I don't remember my scored when using your guys settings) also I'm getting 2615 on furmarks 1920x1080 burnin test. are those normal scores? my ASIC is 79.2% by the way

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi all, I have an Asus DCII 7850 and I'm not sure of I have stress tested it enough. I was lazy and just jumped straight to 1050,1100,1150 all the while keeping my voltage at stock 1130mV (i think I'm not sure if its stock but its the lowest gputweak would go for volts)

I did 3 cycles of heaven and furmark no artifacting or crashing, temps of 75 in heaven and quite a hot 82C in furmark at 1100/4840.

Most of you guys here English? this is the biggest 7850 overclocking thread outside of anandtech

Edit: I think I'm getting quite low scores on heaven and furmark, although my heaven settings r different from you guys, I have 1920 x1080 I basically maxed everything on the first screen of heaven and was getting 920 on 1100/4840 (I don't remember my scored when using your guys settings) also I'm getting 2615 on furmarks 1920x1080 burnin test. are those normal scores? my ASIC is 79.2% by the way

post a screen shot buddy. As for stability I did 3 passes in Heaven and just played BF3 for an hour. As long as your games don't grey screen or crash then consider your overclock stable.

There is no substitute for doing an overclock properly, it may be a long task and boring but at least you can analyse your own results and see where memory correction starts to kick in etc.

My card can clock much higher but then the results in Heaven make no difference and actually start to decrease. So whilst 1200/5800 at 1170V may produce good results for me for someone else it may cause a performance decrease.

Also, yes most of the people here are from the UK. Personally if my cards run at load over 70 degrees I will either use a custom fan profile, change TIM or reduce the voltage. Temps depend on a whole load of factors; for example someone living in a hot country 80+ would be normal as ambient temperatures are much higher.

Associate

Mine has a stock voltage of 1138mV 870/1210, and having it at 1200/1400 put the voltage up to 1220mV..
Stress your card using Heaven (like 3-5 bench's) and do some games bench's too.. And, stress it (if you can) with BF3 Online, in a big map..
So far, every attempt to increase my speeds were done using this combo, and despite it could pass any of them, it fails in others.. That gives me an idea how good/bad is my OC.. ;)
I think you can hit a bit more core/mem speeds.. to achieve that, you should rise your voltage..
How??.. Small steps.. Starting with your core speeds, do a 5-10 interval increments, and test it hard.. Once you achieved your highest OC under stock voltage, start rising it at 0.010V increments, and redo every step..
I use Trixx, and set a fan profile like a 45º line.. At max usage, never hitted 70ºC.. And I live in the Caribbean, so ambient temps here are really hot.. ;)

Best regards.. :)

Associate
post a screen shot buddy. As for stability I did 3 passes in Heaven and just played BF3 for an hour. As long as your games don't grey screen or crash then consider your overclock stable.

There is no substitute for doing an overclock properly, it may be a long task and boring but at least you can analyse your own results and see where memory correction starts to kick in etc.

My card can clock much higher but then the results in Heaven make no difference and actually start to decrease. So whilst 1200/5800 at 1170V may produce good results for me for someone else it may cause a performance decrease.

Also, yes most of the people here are from the UK. Personally if my cards run at load over 70 degrees I will either use a custom fan profile, change TIM or reduce the voltage. Temps depend on a whole load of factors; for example someone living in a hot country 80+ would be normal as ambient temperatures are much higher.

How do I post a picture from my hard drive? I don't know (noob here).
I just hit 1200/4840 on 1170mV (sorry for no screens), heaven score of 1395 and max temp of 73oC.

Using the Furmark burnin test 1920x1080 I net a score of 3373 and a max temp of 96oC with a custom fan profile, fans hitting 100% at 75oC.

I think its just a case of bad case airflow, see my other thread on case airflow
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22223438#post22223438

I'm in Canada, so ambient temperatures right now are about 20-26 degrees max, so ambients should be lowering my max gaming temps.

Completely off topic but 4 things I love about England:
1. Manchester United
2. Scones
3. English accent (sorry scottish, welsh and irish :))
4. Mind your Language, the greatest TV show on the planet!!

I also had to look up what "chuffed" meant, I knew it meant something along the lines of good but had to be sure.

Mine has a stock voltage of 1138mV 870/1210, and having it at 1200/1400 put the voltage up to 1220mV..
Stress your card using Heaven (like 3-5 bench's) and do some games bench's too.. And, stress it (if you can) with BF3 Online, in a big map..
So far, every attempt to increase my speeds were done using this combo, and despite it could pass any of them, it fails in others.. That gives me an idea how good/bad is my OC.. ;)
I think you can hit a bit more core/mem speeds.. to achieve that, you should rise your voltage..
How??.. Small steps.. Starting with your core speeds, do a 5-10 interval increments, and test it hard.. Once you achieved your highest OC under stock voltage, start rising it at 0.010V increments, and redo every step..
I use Trixx, and set a fan profile like a 45º line.. At max usage, never hitted 70ºC.. And I live in the Caribbean, so ambient temps here are really hot.. ;)

Best regards.. :)

Thanks, but I absolutely hate BF3 (I'm not sure why) so I only got BF3 to stress test my rig, so I don't have multiplayer (ahem ahem), but I also have Crysis 2.

I stress tested about 10 times in heaven and furmark at 1200/4840/1170, and the next day again about 4 times and it crashed once, so I bumped it up to 1180mV and then back down and no more crashes, strange, was that a fluke crash or is it not stable?

Associate
It wasn't stable..
See, OCing is tricky.. That's why I told you not to stress and test with only one program..
Using games bench's gives you a better aproach to see how stable your OC is..

I told you about BF3 MP because it's what I use, but can be any other you have.. I test with Dirt Showdown, Just Cause 2, Batman AC, Heaven, BF3 MP, among others..
But, never liked Crysis 1/2.. ;)

The important thing is to do the increments step by step.. Bump voltage, and start increasing core speed until it crashes.. Bump voltage again, and repeat steps..
Remember: no more than 1125-1128mV.. In my opinion, those are the limits for stock/air cooler..

Associate
It wasn't stable..
See, OCing is tricky.. That's why I told you not to stress and test with only one program..
Using games bench's gives you a better aproach to see how stable your OC is..

I told you about BF3 MP because it's what I use, but can be any other you have.. I test with Dirt Showdown, Just Cause 2, Batman AC, Heaven, BF3 MP, among others..
But, never liked Crysis 1/2.. ;)

The important thing is to do the increments step by step.. Bump voltage, and start increasing core speed until it crashes.. Bump voltage again, and repeat steps..
Remember: no more than 1125-1128mV.. In my opinion, those are the limits for stock/air cooler..

You said no more than 1128mV for stock air cooler? Thing is, my stock volts are 1138mV, and temps at stock 860/1210 are 65 max.

I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread you have an ASUS 7850 as well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you got 65oC max load temperature at 1150 core? See I got 75oC max load temperature at 1150 core. I'm trolling all the forums hoping that its my case airflow that's causing the massively high temperatures, because I only have 1 intake fan at the top and the DCII's fans are pointing downwards.

Permabanned
kombuster is unnecessary, it works the card too much for my liking. Running a few benches in heaven and playing a game is all I would do. The Heaven score will give an indication on how many fps increase you get over stock.

Back
Top Bottom