How to Theme your iPhone Without Winterboard

Soldato
OP
Ive added my custom SMS background folder to /var/stash/Themes, however when I go into Winterboard, it does not display it in the list. Any ideas?

Did you call the folder SMSBackground.theme? The .theme needs to be on the end of every theme folder!
Did you insert the png in the root of that folder?
Did you call the file SMSBackground?

It needs to be the correct size

Soldato
OP
That ugly Apple banner taken care of.....

19549969.png

You need an app from Cydia called ColorBanner.
(the black theme you see is my own)

Soldato
OP
noob question, but what do you mean by the correct size ?

Changing SMS conversation Wallpaper

Unfortunately, there is no image file on the iOS which contains this and its hidden in code in some file. No one has found it yet.

So we must use Winterboard for this.

Create a folder called

- SMSBackground.theme

Inside the root of that folder put your chosen background image in PNG format. The file must be 640 x 640 pixels. Call this file SMSBackground.

Now take your SMSBackground.theme folder and put it in /var/stash/Themes. Go into Winterboard and select the theme and respring.

Job Done.

Associate
you have convinced me to jailbreak but i just can't justify it! i dont want to mess my ipod up, i get to redsn0w and i dont have the bottle to press the button

There is literally no chance of you "messing you're ipod up". A simple restore removes any element of the jailbreak and restores it back to Apple software if you ever ran in to any problem.

Associate
There is literally no chance of you "messing you're ipod up". A simple restore removes any element of the jailbreak and restores it back to Apple software if you ever ran in to any problem.
Yeah I understand that, the warranty is gone anyway, i really want to do it, simple things, little things will make it perfect :)

I will have a think whilst walking the dog :)

Soldato
Yeah I understand that, the warranty is gone anyway, i really want to do it, simple things, little things will make it perfect :)

I will have a think whilst walking the dog :)
What does warranty have to do with it? It voids the warranty but a restore and it's all good again.

Last edited:
Soldato
I heard things months ago about them putting something in the OS which could tell them. But never heard anything since. But my iPhones which I got replaced had been jailbroken, restored and taken into a Apple store...

Just do it ;)

Associate
once i thought i bricked my phone, it wouldn't restore i was like, wtf a paper weight, then i figured out it was because i disabled a service which wouldn't let me restore, apart from that, I've not heard of someone bricking a iPhone from a jail break, GO FOR IT!

How to Theme Status Bar Objects

Unfortunately, for this part, we must use Winterboard :(
The reason is because there are no image files in the iOS which deal with the status bar objects.
Everything is kept in one file and that file is "SharedArtwork@2x". This contains pretty much the user UI elements and the status bar elements. In-order to edit the the files, you must extract this file which isn't an easy procedure. If you manage to do that then you must repackage it with your chosen themes files. BUT, the new files must be the same dimensions, the same file size and the same file names. If they are not then you will not be able to package it back up! This is something i haven't done because its complicated and time consuming. Its all about running scripts.

So, go get around this i have managed to get hold of a SharedArtwork file which someone has done to change the UI to black. Its "BLACK UI" and its available as a free download from Macthemes Forum. Direct link to teh thread is:

http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16809912

Download it from there and put it in:

/System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework

Make sure you back up your existing SharedArtwork@2x file!!

Now, most of you guys will be happy with the UI in the Black UI. I however wasn't happy with the battery, the %, the Signal and wifi bars so i changed them to suit the ones i wanted.

For this i had to use winterboard for reasons explained above.
I simply created a folder called....

User Images.theme and in there put a UIImages folder which contained all my images for the battery, the %, the signals and the wifi stuff. Then simply choose in winterboard and respring.
The only good news about using winterboard for this is that the status images are cached so once they are loaded they are not eating up resources.

The stuff im using is available at Macthemes along with tons of other status bar items.

LockInfo Status Bar Objects

These can be found in:

System/Library/Frameworks/UIKit.framework

Take the ones from the BLACK UI theme and insert them at the above location overwriting the existing files.

After doing this step how come my status bar isn't black. Just the elements at the top of apps is black..?

Back
Top Bottom