Poll: How would you vote in a referendum to abolish the monarchy?

Would you get rid of the monarchy?

• Abolish the monarchy

Votes: 326 30.5%
  • Keep the monarchy

Votes: 743 69.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
How to make yourself look like on idiot in on one sentence. I can't stand Corbyn, he was the worst thing to happen to Labour and I'm a million miles from hard left. You've really not done very well there have you.

Not really - all lefties deny being Corbyn fans now through extreme shame and embarrassment..

Swear on a bible that you never tearfully sung 'Oh Jeremy' whilst watching the 2019 election results.. lol.

Soldato
Not really - all lefties deny being Corbyn fans now through extreme shame and embarrassment..

Swear on a bible that you never tearfully sung 'Oh Jeremy' whilst watching the 2019 election results.. lol.

Find 1 post on here of me supporting Corbyn, you'll find plenty of me saying he was a disaster and I'd never vote for him. It was like 1970/80s Labour all over again.

I'd actually swing and could vote Tory if they moved back from the populist right wing on their party. If they got people like Ken Clark or Rory Stewart back in control and not these populist idiots I could be swayed in future election. Doesn't look likely though, they are doubling down on the populism, just the idiot Republicans in the US with MAGA. Oh well it looks like we'll have a Labour government again.

I'm an atheist so I'll just affirm.

edit: Nothing could make me vote Tory in the next election, the country needs a change of direction.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just because some particularly fragile right wingers are having a tantrum about it does not make something "political". Remembering those from Africa and elsewhere who died in global wars is not a political act.

Died fighting with the Allies. Amazing how people like to forget just how many people volunteered from our colonies to fight.

Caporegime
Died fighting with the Allies. Amazing how people like to forget just how many people volunteered from our colonies to fight.

AFAICT from the Black Poppy Rose website, they don't specify that. But, absolutely, the sheer number of soldiers from around the empire that died fighting alongside us is staggering. I was very struck, when I visited New Zealand, by the war memorials in every place we stopped. As a proportion of the population, almost as many New Zealanders died as Brits. I never knew that growing up.

Permabanned
You don’t need a poppy specifically for different races/peoples/nations.

The point of the poppy is it’s classless/raceless etc.

I think, in principle, you’re right and that’s what the poppy should signify. However, I think that meaning has largely been lost in this country and that a large number of people nowadays see the poppy and Remembrance Day as commemorating our war dead. That’s why so many are up in arms about there being a pro-Palestinian march on Sunday, right?

Perhaps a black poppy only exacerbate this issue though.

Soldato
Into the cremator with them all.

Though I'm not sure which I despise more. The royal family or the public who put them on a pedestal. Probably the latter, the former can't help where they were born but the public can realise that they're just normal people who came out of the 'right' set of testicles and vagina.

Man of Honour
I was happy to keep them while QE2 was alive, simply because she had been there my whole life. But as she's gone I see no point in them. I'm now on the abolish side.

Last edited:
Soldato
For those that would 'get rid' what would you replace the monarchy with, how would this be better and how would you recoup the lost revenue?

Associate
Members of the Royal Family have inherited billions of pounds (untaxed), power and influence simply because they are the descendants of the strongest robber barons in the middle ages. You cannot have a meritocracy when the talentless head of an obnoxious family is your head of state (and head of your national religion) and they all live like rock stars on our money.

“A hereditary monarch is as absurd a position as a hereditary doctor or mathematician.” ― Thomas Paine

The Royals also personify the class system in this country, which has facilitated injustice and inequality for centuries. Of course, they will never be removed as the establishment will continue to use the mass media to brainwash the public into supporting them.

Soldato
I don’t think about forgets. That’s the point of the poppy.

You don’t need a poppy specifically for different races/peoples/nations.

The point of the poppy is it’s classless/raceless etc.

I'm not sure a lot of people are even aware of the sacrifices made by men from our colonies. The British Raj gave us the largest volunteer army the world had ever seen. I know people who had no idea that was the case.

I'm not saying we need a black poppy or any other colour, I have little interest in it tbh, one colour should be fine. I don't think many people are aware that our armies were multicultural and just how multicultural they were.

Back
Top Bottom