HP DM1

Soldato
299SAVE30 code is working, plus %6 cashback too from Top Cash Back. Very tempted to pick one of these up, but I dont NEED one :/

Can I ask what are you guys using your for?

Last edited:
Associate
With that code I will be picking one of these up when I sell my old ASUS 1005HA next week + payday.

Was umming and ahhing over whether to get this or the Lenovo S205 with the E450 as I've got some Amazon vouchers which would have made it cheaper than the £299 of the HP, but now that code makes it cheaper.

Apparently the code runs to the end of the month, so plenty of time to think about it before plunging right away.

Soldato
Once step closer to getting one.... however if I was to format the HD and put Windows 7 Pro on will that void the warranty? Also is there a way to make recovery DVDs?

Associate
I'm thinking about buying the DM1-4020sa or 27sa, what are the differences?Some say the gpu is different but i researched and that's the same, anything else?

4027sa has 320 GB HDD and 4020sa has 500 GB HDD; that's the only difference (confirmed when I looked in the official HP service manual). ***** then definitely go for the 4020sa model.

Coincidentally, I've found that my 4027sa has a 7200 rpm HDD (as does the 4020 judging by the service manual). This is different to what a lot of the specs on various retailers' websites had previously suggested (listed as 5400 rpm).

** The mentioning or hinting of competitors is strictly prohibited - Please read FAQs regarding rules **

Associate
Added to my last post, I've also found that the memory that came with the machine is 1.5 volt. crucial.com are listing their 2 x 4 GB 1.35 volt boards as compatible, which may offer a slight power saving improvement if you upgrade the memory.

[Please note: you can only use more than 4 GB memory if you changed to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 (requires a new windows install - see posts in pages 3-4 of this thread for details). The 32 bit version, that comes as standard with the DM1-4xxx notebooks, cannot use more than the 4 GB that the DM1 ships with.]

Last edited:
Associate
That's really silly to sell a laptop with 4gb ram and 32bit OS, any sensible reasoning behind that?

Also a question from me; is the laptop made well?I mean the housing and keyboard?I hate it when buttons wear off and paint chips, my old Pavilion has a lot of chips and tears even though i've only used it at home.

Associate
While I'm here. Does anybody know how well something like Tiberian Wars would play on a DM1? I'm worried the on board graphics will struggle.

Associate
While I'm here. Does anybody know how well something like Tiberian Wars would play on a DM1? I'm worried the on board graphics will struggle.

I don't know about Tiberian Wars, but I've had relatively high demand first person shooters like Crysis and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 working quite well on mine (resolution reduced to 1024 x 768).

Associate
I keep researching and reading reviews and come to the conclusion that it's a great piece of technology and I'm very likely to buy it!I think i'm also gonna whack an SSD into it later on, put x64 Win7 on it and it should be great for uni.

Back
Top Bottom