HP LP2475w, IPS 24" Official Thread! (Now Available from OcUK)

Associate
provides a persistent profile option that enforces your profile to prevent other programs from changing the color profile Windows uses. This is especially important to gamers as most games will change the color profile Windows uses. This not only gives you a uniform look throughout your games, but also keep the profile after you exit any program that changes the color profile used by Windows.

:)

I'm sure this is the one I found, I've no idea if it works.

http://www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp

Associate
Awesome thanks for finding that ecat, I'll definately give this one a try. Unfortunately I've just boxed the monitor up ready for taking away with me back to uni so it'll be a couple of days before I can test it out but I'll give some feedback after that.

Soldato
I got mine yesterday, thought it was very plasticy at first but I've gotten used to the aesthetics now. As people have said previously it is very industrial looking and not a patch on the Hazro cosmetically but I knew that from the outset.

I also noticed the text issue in XP , mucked about with cleartype but it didn't make much difference and I was worried I had made a bad choice for a moment.

I switched over to my main os, which happens to be Gentoo and more importantly the desktop environment XFCE. It has an option in the user interface for pixel-hinting and sub-pixel hinting, which are set to 'full' and 'RGB' respectively. ( in Gnome and KDE as it happens )

The difference was noticeable straight away, lot clearer and sharper text. So I'm quite happy with the monitor right now. Later on i'll install Vista on a spare HD and see if it manages to improve upon on the XP problems.

Associate
Earth[Tera].bin;12574203 said:
I got mine yesterday, thought it was very plasticy at first but I've gotten used to the aesthetics now. As people have said previously it is very industrial looking and not a patch on the Hazro cosmetically but I knew that from the outset.

I also noticed the text issue in XP , mucked about with cleartype but it didn't make much difference and I was worried I had made a bad choice for a moment.

I switched over to my main os, which happens to be Gentoo and more importantly the desktop environment XFCE. It has an option in the user interface for pixel-hinting and sub-pixel hinting, which are set to 'full' and 'RGB' respectively. ( in Gnome and KDE as it happens )

The difference was noticeable straight away, lot clearer and sharper text. So I'm quite happy with the monitor right now. Later on i'll install Vista on a spare HD and see if it manages to improve upon on the XP problems.

Hello from another GNU/Linux Gentoo user.

Could you try if text looks better with RGB or Vertical RGB subpixel hinting? Text quality is my main concern to get this monitor.

Also, have you checked color saturation in video playback? I don't know if loading a corrected profile with xcalib will be enough or we need to use a color aware player (I've been told that there is a patch for mplayer that can make color transformations).

Soldato
Why problems in XP and not in GENTOO per example?

I'm not sure to be honest , just relieved the picture was improved. As far as I'm aware both OS are using good AA fonts so maybe it is down to linux having a more flexible approach to anti-aliasing fonts as ecat said.

I'm aware from my FreeBSD days that you can really improve the appearance of fonts via an XML file ( font.conf ) , although in XFCE it was just a simple case of checking the pixel-hinting option in the menu.

I'll check the sub-pixel hinting when I get home to see if there is any noticable difference. As for the colour saturation
in video playback , I never gave it much thought. As I've mentioned previously in another post I'm not overlay pedantic about such things so I wouldn't call myself an expert, sorry.

----
Sorry pics are not very good and my camera isn't the best tbh, RGB subpixel hinting and VRGB subpixel hinting. The difference isn't too dramatic in my opinion.

RGB.png
vRGB.png

Last edited:
Associate
Hi!

I also decided to go for the HP LP2475W. Unfortunately I also have a difference in the color temperature across the screen. The thing that really annoys me though, is that the picture gets laggy every once in a while when playing for instance Counter-Strike Source but even when watching movies. The "lag" usually appears when I move around in the game or the camera moves. It doesn't have to be fast movements and the lag doesn't always appear just in some cases. I have a 9800GX2 E8400 etc so it's not about having a powerful computer enough. I hope that somebody could help me with this, problem. I have:
1) installed the display drivers
2) tested with different in-game settings

My display assistant doesn't work either, except the options function.
The text looks crisp and clear though on my monitor.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi!

I also decided to go for the HP LP2475W. Unfortunately I also have a difference in the color temperature across the screen.

I had this on my first one so sent it back for an exchange believing it to be an isolated incident (panel defects happen). The one I'm on now started to have the colour temp difference, but it seemed to peak at around 30 hours backlight usage and is now not visible at 100 hours - perhaps the monitor just needs to "settle in" as it where (CCFL do change over the course of their life-span, so I don't think that's too far fetched).

Associate
okay, well I've only 56 hrs atm. It feels as if it's getting worse, but I'm not sure. I can't really provide any videos as my digital camera only has 25 fps and you can't see the problem from that video. I'll get a colorimeter tomorrow, so I can measure the color temp difference. I'll also get a DELL 2407 to compare with.
I really don't know what the "laggy" video and gaming depends on, maybe the low refresh rate on a big screen causes this effect? It seems like borders starts to flicker a little bit. (An example where you can experience it would be Planet Earth 1080p From Pole to Pole @ 00:01:00 if somebody has access to it.) It definitely doesn't look smooth.
I'll try to call HP tomorrow and see if we can work something out.

Soldato
I'll try to call HP tomorrow and see if we can work something out.

Probably the best course of action TBH. The support is provided by the workstation team who are based in Ireland and seem very helpful (they rang me up yesterday to ask if the new monitor was ok, follow-ups are always a good sign in my book).

Associate
Hi all is my first post here! Unfortunately in my country this monitor is about 650.00 EUR=515.779 GBP :confused::mad: an my only choice is to buy it from somewhere else. But I think OverclokersUK don`t send monitors out of GB?

yes ordered it, distributor has it for appx 495€ :)

495.00 EUR=391.918 GBP :p

@kmetek can you tell me from which country you buy it?:) Or you can`t? :confused:

Associate
Sure Slovenija, got it straight from suplier without margain :)

Otherwise is appx 570€ here in stores.
Omg why here in Greece are so expensive :confused::mad: the less is 598€ to 697€ (well there only 3 online shops who sell it xD ) and online shops :confused: (474.516 GBP-553.073 GBP) !!? Thx @kmetek

Back
Top Bottom