HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
When SSH'ing into your box do it as user "root" and the password as your admin password. That should give you the permissions to modify the files.

Tried that and am getting access denied, even though i can gain access using admin account & same password :mad:

So I can get in via Putty, but no idea how to edit the file from there. Can't get in via FileZilla or winSCP :/

ncct3s.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I don't really know XPEnology, but it's certainly Linux based.

Use the search engine of your choice to lookup 'chmod', to change the permissions on a file.

There are various text editors available in Linux, but I couldn't say which XPEnology might have. If all else fails it'll have 'vi'.

If you've never used vi before I'd advise turning the lights down, playing some relaxing music, maybe light a scented candle, perhaps meditate a little first.
I use vi very occasionally and it's usually a pretty harrowing experience, so take a copy of the file you're editing first...

Associate
Hi guys gonna venture into my 1st NAS and have a N36L on its way to me.
I have read the whole thread and it seems the installation of xpenology will go easy.
But i have 3 questions.

1. is updating the bios the same as a PC .. as in you enter the bios ...then update the bios from the file you downloaded and put on the usb stick that you have inserted into the server. ??

2. What raid config is best for media files .. and how many drives do i need for that raid,, and must the drives be the same size ??

3. must i wipe my hard drives before they can be used in the server ??

Soldato
Hi guys gonna venture into my 1st NAS and have a N36L on its way to me.
I have read the whole thread and it seems the installation of xpenology will go easy.
But i have 3 questions.

1. is updating the bios the same as a PC .. as in you enter the bios ...then update the bios from the file you downloaded and put on the usb stick that you have inserted into the server. ??
I think you have to boot to command prompt and do it the old fashion way

2. What raid config is best for media files .. and how many drives do i need for that raid,, and must the drives be the same size ??
I just use the standard Synology one, with 4 drives, no performance issues

3. must i wipe my hard drives before they can be used in the server ??
No Synology will do this when it builds the raid

Associate
i realized something else today.... i will be putting a graphics card into my system ,, how to i install a driver for it ? , as in all my previous work with pc's involved windows . the operating system ,, then you install the relevant drivers for the relevant devices ,, or is it possible to install drivers with xpenology.

Associate
Why are you installing a GPU? Xpenology/DSM is designed to be a headless unit; well all the output will be is the boot screen and root login for DSM; unlike other NAS units DSM doesn't do virtualisation.
I was gonna install Xpenology onto my N36L when it comes and use it as a NAS ,, with a small media center connected to it,, since then i thought i would try it with a cheap 2nd hand GPU and tune it into a media center.
So i take it for me to do it that way Xpenology will be no use ??
What OS would anyone recommend if i was to try it as a media center ?

Soldato
No, Xpenology cannot be used as a media centre bare metal... What you could do is do a little all in one system... Use vSphere hypervisor on the N36L (I presume the server supports vd-x & vd-t?), run one small hard drive as the hypervisor storage and have one vm for the media centre with GPU pass through and then another VM as the Xpenology with the rest of the drive slots passed through using Raw Drive Mappings to the Xpenology VM.

As Xpenology only actually requires a tiny install footprint to boot, if you can find a way to run a VM off a USB drive you might even be able to do this:

N36L > vSphere Hypervisor USB boot > Xpenology VM running of USB pendrive (4gb) > DSM boots and shares via NFS/iSCSI to vSphere Hypervisor the shared drives > VM for media centre running off DSM.

Slightly complicated and I'm not sure whether they've removed the USB workaround that I read about but if you can, you can effectively have a dedicated storage system running virtualised that then has the storage for a virtualised media centre.

Soldato
Right

Screwed up a bit and need some advice, I added a 2TB drive to gen8 system. Found it ok etc etc, now I only wanted to be able to use the space on the drive. I am not concerned about raid, the things I need back ups for I already have.

So I followed my on screen prompts via the storage panel. It seems that I have SHR (hybrid raid) now, and it only shows 2TB available over both disks. How do I remove the raid without killing my data, and then add the disk in as usable space?

Cheers

Associate
No, Xpenology cannot be used as a media centre bare metal... What you could do is do a little all in one system... Use vSphere hypervisor on the N36L (I presume the server supports vd-x & vd-t?), run one small hard drive as the hypervisor storage and have one vm for the media centre with GPU pass through and then another VM as the Xpenology with the rest of the drive slots passed through using Raw Drive Mappings to the Xpenology VM.

As Xpenology only actually requires a tiny install footprint to boot, if you can find a way to run a VM off a USB drive you might even be able to do this:

N36L > vSphere Hypervisor USB boot > Xpenology VM running of USB pendrive (4gb) > DSM boots and shares via NFS/iSCSI to vSphere Hypervisor the shared drives > VM for media centre running off DSM.

Slightly complicated and I'm not sure whether they've removed the USB workaround that I read about but if you can, you can effectively have a dedicated storage system running virtualised that then has the storage for a virtualised media centre.

woooowoooooo slow down man ,, i got lost after you said DSM , in other words its all foreign to me :) lol , Thanks anyways BlizzardX

Soldato
haha sorry, I've been using virtualisation for a quite some time now so it just comes out!

The all in one is kinda like a virtualised storage platform that boots the storage system first and then once loaded and the shared drives are available boots other virtualised os's; its a neat way of creating a system without having to have lots of drives lost to the main hypervisor; it is also putting all your eggs in one basket and could go a bit awry.

Back
Top Bottom