HP ML110 G7 32GB RAM - Cashback

OK, so I may be talking to myself here, but I now have it on good authority that 4x 8GB ECC unbuffered DIMMs work in the ML110 G7.

Has anyone tried non-ECC unbuffered DIMMs (of any size?)

Keeping an eye on your progress, but yet to see anything definitive. If someone wants to send me 4x8gb sticks I'll be happy to try it ;)

The answer I got this morning was: "We've tested 4GB and 8GB non-ECC dimms in the past and the system has refused to boot, so it's likely that this is the case."

Not definitive as I was hoping for confirmation that testing of 4GB or 8GB non-ECC *unbuffered* DIMM's had failed, but near enough to make me think ECC is mandatory.

I can't find evidence anywhere of anyone running any size of non-ECC DIMM in a ML110 G7.

I'm looking at either 4x 16GB or 3 or 4 32GB systems. I'd rather not have to fork out for 96GB/128GB of ECC DIMM's but it looks like I will have to.

I'm pretty sure ECC is mandatory.

Interestingly both Crucial and Kingston list memory specifically for the ML110.

I'm not sure if it's of any interest, but here's a dump from the HP Diag util:
Board 1
Card 1 Status
DIMM 1
Not Installed
DIMM 2 (DDR3)
4096 Mbytes
DIMM 3
Not Installed
DIMM 4 (DDR3)
4096 Mbytes
ECC memory installed
Yes

Serial presence detect (SPD) information - DIMM 2, Card 1
Memory type
DDR3
Memory DRAM type
UDIMM
Memory DRAM Speed
1333 Mbits
DDR3 Standard Voltage Capability
YES
DDR3 Low Voltage Capability
NO
DIMM Description
DIMM 4GB PC3-10600E 256Mx8 RoHS
Additional DIMM Description
HP 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600E-9 Kit
Spare Part Number
501541-001
Correctable Error Threshold Exceeded Status
No DIMM errors detected
Uncorrectable Error Status
No DIMM errors detected
Correctable Error Threshold Count
Uncorrectable Error Count

Serial presence detect (SPD) information - DIMM 4, Card 1
Memory type
DDR3
Memory DRAM type
UDIMM
Memory DRAM Speed
1333 Mbits
DDR3 Standard Voltage Capability
YES
DDR3 Low Voltage Capability
NO
DIMM Description
DIMM 4GB PC3-10600E 256Mx8 RoHS
Additional DIMM Description
HP 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600E-9 Kit
Spare Part Number
501541-001
Correctable Error Threshold Exceeded Status
No DIMM errors detected
Uncorrectable Error Status
No DIMM errors detected
Correctable Error Threshold Count
Uncorrectable Error Count

Last edited:
Just had an email about this from a competitor:

The ML110 G7 will take 32Gb using 4 x 8GB Crucial DDR3 ECC DIMMs.

The Microserver N40L will take 16Gb using 2 x 8GB Crucial DDR3 ECC DIMMs.

It will take it but will it work? :)

I've had servers in the past that will take more ram than the spec's suggest but it was far from stable.

I'd be interested to find out as the ML110 is at a very tempting price point!

Think i had the same email this morning and thought id let you's know.

They mentioned the test was carried out on a quad core g7. Would it make a difference if your processor wasnt quad core??

Looking to buy a couple of these for vSphere 5 lab so 32GB would be great if possible. Anyone had any success ?

Also, do they come with the HD carriers or are the 3 spare bays covered with a blank ?

cheers

can anyone who has one of these post some pictures up? Insides and drive bays etc? I'm thinking of upgrading my microserver and the added expandability of these are really tempting!

Don't say I didn't warn you about the quality ;)

front - with Icydock 4 port 2.5" HD bay and DVDROM
front.jpg

back - I've fitted an ESATA PCI riser (removed serial and ilo3 details)
back.jpg

io
backio.jpg

caddy - there are 4 of these
caddy.jpg

bays - screws for various mountings are bottom left
bays.jpg

layout - inside the side cover
layout.jpg

inside - is pretty tidy (or was before I got hold of it), note the screw tool is top right
inside.jpg

top compartment - psu looks standard?
insidetop.jpg

middle
middle.jpg

bay connectors - looks the same as the microserver
diskrear.jpg

pci-e layout - plastic baffle keeps it all sectioned off
pci-elayout.jpg

pci-e sockets - I've stuck a Dell H200 in mine (LSI firmware). Note that the x16 slot is at the bottom so only a single slot gfx card will fit.
pci-ecards.jpg

sockets - SD card, USB, SAS and 2xSATA sockets onboard
sas.jpg

Last edited:
Onboard NICs are Intel, but not the normal ones supported by the Proset drivers. I'll have to get back to you with the exact number but I think it's E1's. They do support ESXi and the HP app allows teaming/failover under Windows 2008R2.

A general brain dump:
One thing to keep in mind is that the onboard RAID controller handles the drive bays and the two SATA ports. However, it only supports two logical arrays, not including CD/DVD drives. So if, like me, you were planning on an OS drive on SATA and two RAID1 arrays in the bays, you can't. Limited to RAID 0/1 and AFAIK hotplug requires both an additional license and a replacement bay.

Write caching is enabled through the HP RAID manager software, so I'm not sure how you would enable it under ESXi. The RAID controller (in RAID mode at least) isn't part of the standard Windows 2008R2 driver set, so you'll either need to have them on a USB stick or use the HP prep tool to install.

iLO3 remote power/remote is limited without purchasing an additional license, but it will allow control until Windows boots (so you can get into the BIOS OK).

Power usage was surprisingly low, around 80 watts under load with a single disk.

The onboard GFX are, as expected, pretty poor, over RDP it flys. The HP software is all very nice, there's a lot of it. I'd advise downloading and using the BIOS update service pack disk which will do the MB BIOS, RAID, NIC etc. for you.

It's pretty quiet out the box. Adding a PCI-E card seems to have turned up the lower bay fan, but still not bad at all.

I've not heard great things about the storage controller in these and that confirms it :)

My plan is / was, to put a PCIe 8-port SATA(SAS) expander card in there, and somehow fit 6 x 2.5" disks in there. Similar to what you've done with the H200.
By the looks of it I could unscrew the backplane of the 4-drive bay and stack them all in there happily.
The plan is to use ZFS with 4 x 160GB WD Scorpio Blacks in RAID10, with 2 x SSD (probably the Sandisk ones which are on offer) as L2ARC and ZIL.

On top of that, set up ESXi5 as the hypervisor. Set that up a storage VM using Nexentastor, then run a bunch of other VMs on there for tinkering and connecting to the iSCSI over the internal Virtual Network.

Should make a nice lab box!

We still haven't found out if this server takes 32GB or not for sure yet!!! :D

As far as onboard RAID controllers go, it's actually one of the better ones I've used. Certainly nicer than the ATI one on the Microserver. I have read it has some problems with SSD drives, so you'd do well to avoid using it.

The H200 is pretty shocking as well, certainly improved after flashing it with the LSI firmware.

You could always use an Icydock or Sharkoon 5.25" to 2.5" bay adaptor. The Sharkoon ones are a bit cheaper and plastic, but do offer both 4x and 6x bays. Might be easier than attacking the internal bays? There's two molex and two sata power connectors up top, but the distance between each molex and sata plug is very short if you plan to use both.

No idea on 32GB, but my offer to test is still open if someone wants to send me 4x8gb ECC DDR3 sticks ;)

Back
Top Bottom