*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I happened across these posts when revisiting an old, persistent problem for me, i.e. I've always suffered from the issue described here, whereby the only way to get the sound working in my HP Reverb G2 is to repeatedly switch if off-and-on-again until something mysterious changes. When it isn't working Windows lists the Reverb G2 sound output as "Headphones" and when it does as "Speakers". Did anyone find a definitive solution to this please?
I've tried different BIOS versions, completely expunged the Realtek drivers from my PC and reinstalled them, removed USB drivers and have them reinstall again and in terms of hardware I've tried both powered USB hubs and two different PCIe USB cards... and nothing works! I've also tried both the "old" (v1) cable and "new" (v2) cable.

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI (PCIe 3)
i9-10900KF
RTX 3090 FE
64 Gb RAM
Windows 10 64-bit 21H2

In case it is related I should also mention that whenever the sound on my Reverb G2 does work, I use it, then I close WMR (and disconnect the G2) I do not get any sound through my conventional speakers until I restart my PC!

Never resolved for me despite v2 cable, bios updates etc. Does seem to be temperature related imo - happens less in the summer and would explain why leaving it plugged in for a bit first to warm up "fixes" it on the next power cycle.

Associate
Another weird thing I get with the G2 is extra jitter until I minimise the game window being rendered on the monitor. Only some games though like After The Fall.
I don’t mean the WMR preview window.

Associate
Did some testing with G2 and yes still getting steamVR crashing. Starts to judder then crashes out.
Also tried open composite, which looks like you replace the openvr_api.dll file fromGitHub site in the game folder (32bit and 64bit versions). On Assetto Corsa open composite just gives a “Failed to create libOVR session: -1007” error straight away.

Maybe it’s a Windows 11 thing. Will try steamVR and use quest 2

Associate
Never resolved for me despite v2 cable, bios updates etc. Does seem to be temperature related imo - happens less in the summer and would explain why leaving it plugged in for a bit first to warm up "fixes" it on the next power cycle.
That is very interesting! I'm encouraged that I'm not the only one still suffering this issue. I also thought I had fewer issues during warmer months, but couldn't be sure and wondered if I could just be losing my mind! I think I might experiment by placing my headset near a heater (not too hot!) before plugging it in...

EDIT: Does anyone know any way of having the Reverb G2 report its temperature please???

Last edited:
Associate
Been trying everything to resolve the steam vr crash problem now, seems to be getting worse. Happens just in the menu in Project Cars 2 now which was fine before.
Tried uninstalling + reinstalling steamVR & steamVR for mixed reality
Have a new power supply on the way to try, and will also try old V1 cable too.
Again no problem at all using quest 2.
GPU and CPU temps fine

Last edited:
Associate
Reinstalled, but windows 10 rather than 11. Back to being smooth as butter. Haven’t installed chipset drivers from my mobo site either. So far so good

[Edit] Yep, installed all other drivers and usual setup…Fanatec shifter & handbrake, Simhub Arduino for pedal and buttkicker rumble, Simucube wheel stuff. All still working great, no stuttering and no crashes.
So seems like was a Windows 11 issue for my setup so will stick with 10

Last edited:
Soldato
Reinstalled, but windows 10 rather than 11. Back to being smooth as butter. Haven’t installed chipset drivers from my mobo site either. So far so good

[Edit] Yep, installed all other drivers and usual setup…Fanatec shifter & handbrake, Simhub Arduino for pedal and buttkicker rumble, Simucube wheel stuff. All still working great, no stuttering and no crashes.
So seems like was a Windows 11 issue for my setup so will stick with 10

Probably the holographic shell issue? causes a load of stuttering and I saw some reporting crashes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone with a G2 play Il-2 and if so what’s the experience like?

It would be paired with a 3080 initially but if I enjoy it and the 3080 isn’t enough I’m quite happy to upgrade.

Associate
Anyone with a G2 play Il-2 and if so what’s the experience like?

It would be paired with a 3080 initially but if I enjoy it and the 3080 isn’t enough I’m quite happy to upgrade.
i haven't played recently, life n stuff, but I had a 6800XT and playing il-2 was scary realistic, felt like i was actually crashing in the plane, its good :), I have all the il-2 great battles now apart from Normandy, and just recently upgraded to a FE 3090 ti, so looking forwarding to playing it properly, especially as i have my hotas installed on my chair,!

not sure how the 3080 will do in iL-2, its plenty capable, but depends on how much Vram you'll need i guess, it was one of the reasons i went with AMD, but dont know how demeanding il-2 is on Vram, i guess like you say you can try it and upgrade if not,

Soldato
i haven't played recently, life n stuff, but I had a 6800XT and playing il-2 was scary realistic, felt like i was actually crashing in the plane, its good :), I have all the il-2 great battles now apart from Normandy, and just recently upgraded to a FE 3090 ti, so looking forwarding to playing it properly, especially as i have my hotas installed on my chair,!

not sure how the 3080 will do in iL-2, its plenty capable, but depends on how much Vram you'll need i guess, it was one of the reasons i went with AMD, but dont know how demeanding il-2 is on Vram, i guess like you say you can try it and upgrade if not,
Thankyou. I’m-2 has laughably low vram requirements I barely use 4 with everything maxed in pancake so a 3080 should be fine.

Associate
That is very interesting! I'm encouraged that I'm not the only one still suffering this issue. I also thought I had fewer issues during warmer months, but couldn't be sure and wondered if I could just be losing my mind! I think I might experiment by placing my headset near a heater (not too hot!) before plugging it in...

EDIT: Does anyone know any way of having the Reverb G2 report its temperature please???

Since my last post I've found a more reliable sequence for getting my Reverb G2 to "start-up" correctly with WMR in the cooler winter months. I definitely need to pre-warm it! I do this by placing it on the vents on the top of my PC case, so the heat rises through it. I also find I need to plug it in (USB and power) so it warms up electrically too. Even doing this it won't start-up correctly in WMR first time.... instead I need to switch off (using the button on the v2 cable power supply) and remove the USB from my PC. I count to 10, then plug in and power up again. I can then fire up WMR and it all works correctly! The longer I pre-warm it the greater the chance of success.

Does anyone else go through a similar pre-warming routine?

An additional benefit of pre-warming is it reduces fogging of the lenses.

Associate
I’m looking to get G2 V2 faceplate for my G2 V1

Could someone with G2 V2 go to https://parts.hp.com/
and type in their serial number?
I wonder whether the latest face gasket part number come up as an available replacement part.
For my G2 V1 serial, i get the following for the face plate:
M09578-000
SPS-FABRIC FACE MASK & HEADPAD

Could anyone with version 2 (two piece face gasket) check?

Back
Top Bottom