HP Reverb

Associate
I'm having an issue with my reverb. After about 20 mins some times less the headset goes black. The game is still working and tracking as I can see it on my monitor but the headset goed black and I have to go into steam or restart windows portal. Driving me mad. As much as I love the display the software and controllers are trash

Associate
OP
could be the connector where it plugs in near the headset.had mine turn off when I rested my head back in my seat,put some tape around it and not done it since.

Associate
Well after around 1 hour of using the HP Reverb last night I was blown away, clarity is just stunning and the headset was a joy to use. I couldnt wait until today as I had a clear 6 hours to mess with Elite Dangerous!!

Well.... that didn't happen.... the screen is just black! The game loads, Steam VR picks the headset up, the headset is tracking, audio works, LCD backlight comes on but absolutely no image. In Windows Mixed Reality portal you can see headset tracking on my main monitor and the handsets appear to track perfectly, I just have no image other than a backlit black LCD.

5 hours of trying everything and no further forward uninstalled all related software, reinstalled it, updated everything that wasnt already, tried different USB ports and nothing. Its appearing in Device Manager with no issues also.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated as feeling fairly deflated right now

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Have you tried either rebooting the PC, or signing out from your account, then logging back in again?
Other potential issues include the USB power. Go into control panel, settings and find the USB power management. Disable the option for Windows to turn it off after 15 mins of whatever it does. That might help.

Soldato
I think there's an issue with SteamVR, today I started having the same blackscreen problem, and I've seen others reporting it too. That said it doesn't happen in seated games, only when bouncing about.

Associate
I'm not even opening up Steam VR, even the Windows MR Portal wont work... I see the LCD backlight come on but that's it, no image.

I've noticed if I place my hand on the front cloth area its warm to the touch.... is yours?

Soldato
Sounds like a hardware issue then. My first thoughts were the cable because of the nature of the problem, which I've now dismissed because mulling around I see multiple accounts of the same problem on the steamVR support forum and in game forums where active movement happens, and they've broke things before with updates.

Well.... that didn't happen.... the screen is just black! The game loads, Steam VR picks the headset up, the headset is tracking, audio works, LCD backlight comes on but absolutely no image.

I'm not even opening up Steam VR

Last edited:
Associate
Iv asked to return mine. 600 is too much for ***** Controllers and black out problems. Tbh after I reconnected the headset into a different display port and use a different usb3 slot I had the whole night with no black. I also changed the screen to 90htz from auto after a few minutes of use. Set the panal quality to auto too. I can't use the 60htz option as I find it give me eye strain and get a flickering display. I set my boundary up too so it never goes out of bounds too where as before it was set as sitting only. I'll try it again tonight on iracing and see if I get any blackouts

Associate
I'm not even opening up Steam VR, even the Windows MR Portal wont work... I see the LCD backlight come on but that's it, no image.

I've noticed if I place my hand on the front cloth area its warm to the touch.... is yours?
Yes mine get warm at the front

Associate
Yeah went black again for a min after a 2 hour session. The panels get really hot and I can feel the heat on my eyes. Defo going back unfortunately. Just got to wait for hp response. I'll get a Rift s

Associate
Mine will be collected Friday. Iv had a refund as its will be 3 weeks before any replacement. The screen is amazing but iv decided to go with the rift s as the software and controls are just so much better.

Soldato
Mine gets warm too, but I never have time to play for more than an hour tops. No blackouts so far, but I am worried none the less :| Going back to RiftS is out of the question as Reverb is just so much sharper in seated VR games like IL2 or Assetto.

Also, with regards to warranty: HP's site states 1 year limited warranty, but is it my imagination or is there some EU regulation that extends all electronics warranties to 2 years?

Associate
After having major display issues where no image would appear on my Reverb I contacted HP, their Global VR Quality Manager quickly organised a conference call for me along with several of his team.

We discussed all of the issues that I've had at length and they are organising over night shipping for my headset to get back to them for diagnostic checks. I've been promised a replacement quickly so fingers crossed no further issues from here! I was also promised an updated cable which keeps things much more secure.

In all the years I've been buying tech I can't think of even one time where any company went to such efforts to help me! I really am blown away by the level of customer service I've recieved!!! They have been superb :D

Soldato
HP's site states 1 year limited warranty
With regards to the warranty, yes, EU regulation for all consumer goods is to be covered for 2 years minimum:
When you sell a good or a service to a consumer online or via other means of distance communication (by telephone, mail order) or outside a shop (from a door-to-door salesperson), the consumer has the right to return the item or cancel the service within 14 days. This is sometimes referred to as the cooling-off period or the withdrawal period. No reason or justification has to be given by the consumer.

EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised.
https://europa.eu/youreurope/busine...s-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm
(What has EU ever done for us, leave now lol)
After having major display issues where no image would appear on my Reverb I contacted HP, their Global VR Quality Manager quickly organised a conference call for me along with several of his team.
no way! :D Wow
tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom