***HTC Magic Thread***

Well new screen arrived... but without the digitizer... which it turns out is the bit I need! Doh! So sending that back for a refund. Good news is the digitizer is only £30, saving £20 on the screen... bad news is it is only available from Hong Kong :(

Oh well, order placed, could still use my Magic just without the touch screen ability... tempted as the Nokia 3510i is starting to get annoying!

You should do a dramatic video reconstruction of how it got damaged :p

Well I'd need to go back to the driving range, trying to be clever, looking at my phone whilst holding a golf club under my arm, putting my glove on and talking to my mate all at the same time. Plus I had a plaster on my finger which made the case VERY slippy (as has already been said)!

Picture of screen and digitizer separate to follow.

If I dropped my Magic and smashed the screen like that, I'm sure I'd actually cry.

I did quite well... I certainly smashed some golf balls after I dropped it!!

I was quite calm, it still worked so I went straight to ebay to see how much a new screen would be. Once I saw it was £50 I felt a bit better. But as it will be at least another week until the digitizer arrives i'm a little but more upset now.

But at least it still works! I was thinking I might have to buy a new one... and @ £300 I wouldn't be happy then. Might as well go for a newer phone if I was going to do that.

Well get on with it then chop chop!

Here you go...

P1040021.jpg

Will need to make sure the screen is nice and clean before sealing the digitizer over the top. Noticed on ebay you can get brand new Magic shells for about £20, available in white and black.

Those fingerprints on your screen in that picture are doing my head in as no matter how hard I wipe my monitor I can't remove them. This is the one thing I hate about touch screens, I hate seeing fingerprints on anything. Except crime scenes.

Yarp. :)

Any tips on how to root? :p Going to try Cyanogen's mod later on. :cool:

I must say I've been impressed with how responsive the Magic feels on the stock ROM so if cyanogen's mod is faster/smoother then :eek:

My sister was impressed with mine and that's saying something because she was boasting about the Samsung Jet and how amazing it was until I shoved an Android in her clutches!

The best routing method should be in #1 post of Cyan's thread :)

Finally you got one. You were talking about getting one before I even knew OCUK had a mobile phone forum.

Is yours running 1.5 cupcake or 1.6 Donut? If 1.5 then the way I rooted mine, as I described some pages back, would still be valid. If it's 1.6 then it's not.

There are guides on how to take a 1.6 Magic back to 1.5 then root it (or something like that) on the XDA forums and once I wake up, and get over the shock of you finally getting this phone you were lusting after even before I knew I wanted to lust after it (and I've had mine some 4 months), I shall try and find them/it.

Welcome to the club.

Back
Top Bottom