***HTC Magic Thread***

Ta will have to update :)

Also Cyanogen has updated again:

---- v4.2.4
* "Lock Home in Memory" is OFF by default!! Enable in Spare Parts
* Added toggle for enabling Compcache in Spare Parts
* Eclair icons and wallpapers
* Updated BetterBrowser from Loccy
* Updated Phone Mod from Cytown (blacklist ***!)
* Updated Superuser from ChainsDD/Zinx
* Fixed "Home + Sleep" behavior
* Tons and tons of tweaks and bugfixes from AOSP and CodeAurora
* BT OBEX fixes
* Build zipalign (zipalign-on-install will be in the next release)
* Other happy stuff I can't remember

IF ANYONE WAS TO FOLLOW THIS INFO THEN I TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO THEIR PHONE. I MEAN IT, I REALLY DO TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.

Right. Read through this and the guide webpage multiple times and ask questions if you are unsure before commencing.

Download these files.

http://zenthought.org/system/files/asset/2/flashrec-1.1.3-20091107-2.apk

http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=enomther/ROM/&file=HTC_ADP_1.6_DRC83_rooted_base.zip

http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-4.2.4-signed.zip

copy these from your computer to the root of your sd card.

then from this guide (the one you posted a few posts back)

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_MT3G/Magic_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod

start from step 10

"10. Start up your phone or mount the SD card, then run App Installer and install FlashRec from its APK."

at this point you either need to have the "App Installer" app or the "Linda File Manager" app installed so you can access "flashrec" on your sdcard whilst the phone is running. Once you've done step 14, carry on past the file download part, as the link's I posted are the files you need along with the most recent Cyanogenmod.

Jump past the file download bit to the next lot of steps

Flash Android 1.6 & CyanogenMod 4.2.x/4.1.99+

and since you would already be in the recovery screen ignore step 1 & 2.

However. Before doing step 3

DO A NANDROID BACKUP
DO A NANDROID BACKUP
DO A NANDROID BACKUP

3. Select "wipe data/factory reset"

then carry on till the end of that section

10. Wait. This will take a couple of minutes. Be patient!
Some last questions before I go ahead and do this!

Does this root my phone for me? If not, how do I do that?

DO A NANDROID BACKUP
DO A NANDROID BACKUP
DO A NANDROID BACKUP
How do I do a NANDROID backup?

If I download the audio resources zip from here, how can I install them? Place them in the root of my SD card? Then what do I do with them?

Basically steps 10 through 14 is rooting your phone and installing Cyanogen's 1.4 recovery image.

When you reboot your phone into the recovery screen you'll see nandroid 2.2 backup

recovery.png

This screen is where you do the nandroid backup, wipe data/factory reset, then use apply any zip from sd to install the HTC recovery image (not the same as this recovery) and then the latest CyanogenMod 4.2.4.

After a reboot it will take some 20 years to load up to the phone proper but once the Vodafone red screen clears you should see a modified animated Android loading screen. Be patient.

And yes, just unzip the audio resources zip to the root of your sdcard and then all the extra ringtones etc will be available to you.

Oh and one other thing. Unless you are rich, or have no emotions, you'll be crapping yourself all the way through this untill CyanogenMod 4.2.4 loads up. I know I was the first time I rooted and installed 4.0.4 :D

Last edited:
Cyanogen's more recent mods haven't been including any Google apps as Google told him they are not open source and thus he cannot, legally, distribute them in his mods.

The way he keeps legal is to use the HTC_ADP_1.6_DRC83_rooted_base.zip file which is from HTC and for the Magic and includes the Google apps. This is flashed before you would flash CyanogenMod 4.2.4 and so gives your phone, legally, the Google apps your phone is entitled to whilst then flashing Cyanogen's mods give you his goodness.

And yes, just unzip the audio resources zip to the root of your sdcard and then all the extra ringtones etc will be available to you.
Do I need to place the zip file in root or unzip the contents of the zip file to root? I assume its the same as with the cyanogen mod file. Just put the zip there? Then when the cyanogen installs it takes care of the audio files for me?

Oh and one other thing. Unless you are rich, or have no emotions, you'll be crapping yourself all the way through this untill CyanogenMod 4.2.4 loads up. I know I was the first time I rooted and installed 4.0.4 :D
I'm not rich and I have many emotions. :D

All 3 files, thats

Flashrec
HTC_ADP_1.6_DRC83_rooted_base.zip
CyanogenMod 4.2.4

have to as they are, zipped or as an .apk file, in the root of your sdcard.

Just follow the instructions from Step 10

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_MT3G/Magic_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod

ignoring the download files part after step 14 and then ignoring steps 1 and 2 (since you're already in recovery mode) in the

Flash Android 1.6 & CyanogenMod 4.2.x/4.1.99+

section. Obviously this heading lists an older CyanogenMod as you will be using 4.2.4. Then do a nandroid backup before going to step 3 which says about wiping data. Then continue.

Flashrec is run whilst you are running android on your phone and this program does a backup (not the nandroid one I'm on about) and then it will download CyanogenMod 1.4 recovery which you then flash from flashrec.

Then you reboot your phone into this 1.4 recovery, the image posted in my post above, where you can do a nandroid backup, wipe data, then apply

HTC_ADP_1.6_DRC83_rooted_base.zip

which is a file that puts the Google apps onto the phone and once thats installed you then apply

CyanogenMod 4.2.4

it really is simple once you've done it but getting the courage to do it, well it was for me originally, somewhat hard ;)

You probably could download it first and then put it on your sdcard as thats the way you used to do it before this version of flashrec. You'd have to know the command line to type into the box to get the 1.4 recovery flashed.

Though it is easy to run flashrec and download the file as that's the way I did it originally.

one other thing. At this stage, runing flashrec, using it to do a backup and then downloading 1.4 recovery, is not going to do anything to your phone that's going to cause you any trouble.

Last edited:
You'd have to know the command line to type into the box to get the 1.4 recovery flashed.
That's all you had to say for me to download the file. :D

I totally understand your hesitance as I had all the files on my sdcard for about a week before I just said "**** it" and did it.
Lol. So as long as I do this before Friday I'm ahead of you? ;):p

Might do this after tea and either before or during Top Gear. :cool:

Oh yes. When you try and install flashrec on you phone you'll most likely get a box up saying "oi what are you up to trying to install something that isn't from the market?". What you need to do is follow the pop up box that pops up and in the menu screen check "unknown sources". This allows you to install .apk files you get from places that are not the market.

Oh yes. When you try and install flashrec on you phone you'll most likely get a box up saying "oi what are you up to trying to install something that isn't from the market?". What you need to do is follow the pop up box that pops up and in the menu screen check "unknown sources". This allows you to install .apk files you get from places that are not the market.
Yeah I saw that somewhere. Here I think.

Before I do this, probably tomorrow now, how on earth do I change wallpapers? I tried that World Tour app and got a crappy picture from some webcam that I couldn't change. So I went on the market and found an Aston Martin Vantage wallpaper app. That's nice btw. :cool:

But how could I get the original wallpaper back or put new ones on?

Back
Top Bottom