***HTC Magic Thread***

My sister was impressed with mine and that's saying something because she was boasting about the Samsung Jet and how amazing it was until I shoved an Android in her clutches!
I showed her Google Maps, Shazam and then later on the spirit level app (Bubble). She refused to believe it was also a phone. :D

The best routing method should be in #1 post of Cyan's thread :)
Thought so. I've downloaded all the stuff that I can see linked to. I was using the Magic yesterday with the supplied 2GB card. Will put the 8GB Class 6 one I bought in and then root.

Finally you got one. You were talking about getting one before I even knew OCUK had a mobile phone forum.
:D:o

Is yours running 1.5 cupcake or 1.6 Donut? If 1.5 then the way I rooted mine, as I described some pages back, would still be valid. If it's 1.6 then it's not.
1.5 Cupcake by the looks of things. :) Fancy digging it out for me? Just the post number. :)

once I wake up, and get over the shock of you finally getting this phone you were lusting after even before I knew I wanted to lust after it (and I've had mine some 4 months), I shall try and find them/it.
Hahaha. :D

Welcome to the club.
Ta. A very nice club to be a member of. :cool: And soon I shall be a member of the rooted Magic club. ;) And hopefully not a bricked Magic club. :p

Btw get Bedside app, it's a wicked clock app that activates when you plug in the power or dock the phone and turns off when you disconnect - great for the....bedside :p
I had a look for this yesterday but couldn't find it on the Android market. And how are the QR codes meant to work? I've got ScanLife and I can't get it to work. I also had another app called QR Code and that didn't work. Or is it me? :p

I had a look for this yesterday but couldn't find it on the Android market. And how are the QR codes meant to work? I've got ScanLife and I can't get it to work. I also had another app called QR Code and that didn't work. Or is it me? :p

The app is on there but it is a paid for app, it's called Bedside 3.0 (Night Clock) @ $1.49, and as for the QR codes, I've never got one to scan in though I admit I haven't tried many.

Looks a lot easier to assemble compared to when I used to do it in the SOny Ericsson days!

I was surprised how easy it was to take apart to be honest. Prising the shell apart was a tricky bit.

I want my Magic back!!!! Probably end of the week at least before the new digitizer arrives... sob sob.

The app is on there but it is a paid for app, it's called Bedside 3.0 (Night Clock) @ $1.49, and as for the QR codes, I've never got one to scan in though I admit I haven't tried many.
Thanks. Think I found something like it. Free as well. :p

Just been looking at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_MT3G/Magic_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod.

For step 1 where it says "Format your SD card to FAT32" and "Windows: Right-click on SD icon and select format", do I take the SD card and plug it into a card reader connected to the computer or use my USB cable that came with the Magic and connect the phone to the computer?

Then where it says "File Download" when do I put the HTC Android 1.6 base image and the CyanogenMod ROM onto the phone? Before I do step 1 earlier or after step 14?

all files you intend to flash need to be in the root of your sd card. Since the latest cyangogenmod's don't come with the google apps, ie market, maps et al, you need to download a special HTC recovery image that puts these apps on your phone before you flash cyanogen's mod.

I'm just having my dinner and once that's done I shall give you more links.

Don't forget you need to root the phone and install either cyanogen's recovery image or Amon Ra's recovery image before you can flash the HTC recovery image and then Cyanogen's mod.

IF ANYONE WAS TO FOLLOW THIS INFO THEN I TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO THEIR PHONE. I MEAN IT, I REALLY DO TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.

Right. Read through this and the guide webpage multiple times and ask questions if you are unsure before commencing.

Download these files.

http://zenthought.org/system/files/asset/2/flashrec-1.1.3-20091107-2.apk

http://www.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=enomther/ROM/&file=HTC_ADP_1.6_DRC83_rooted_base.zip

http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/update-cm-4.2.4-signed.zip

copy these from your computer to the root of your sd card.

then from this guide (the one you posted a few posts back)

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_MT3G/Magic_Firmware_to_CyanogenMod

start from step 10

"10. Start up your phone or mount the SD card, then run App Installer and install FlashRec from its APK."

at this point you either need to have the "App Installer" app or the "Linda File Manager" app installed so you can access "flashrec" on your sdcard whilst the phone is running. Once you've done step 14, carry on past the file download part, as the link's I posted are the files you need along with the most recent Cyanogenmod.

Jump past the file download bit to the next lot of steps

Flash Android 1.6 & CyanogenMod 4.2.x/4.1.99+

and since you would already be in the recovery screen ignore step 1 & 2.

However. Before doing step 3

DO A NANDROID BACKUP
DO A NANDROID BACKUP
DO A NANDROID BACKUP

3. Select "wipe data/factory reset"

then carry on till the end of that section

10. Wait. This will take a couple of minutes. Be patient!

Thanks ElliorR. So connect the phone to the PC with the USB cable yes? I don't need to take the SD card and put it into a card reader?

And is it OK to install either of the app apps at step 10 or is it better to do it before I start the whole process?

When connected to the PC via usb you can drag down the top bar, click on USB connected and then select mount. This then "disconnects" the sdcard from the phone and lets your PC see it as a drive so you can copy files to it. Once you have done, on the phone drag down the top bar again and select Turn off USB storage and select turn off from the box. The phone see's the card again.

Can anyone recommend a car cradle for the Magic? I'm interested in getting the co-pilot software for the wifey's phone but she'd be useless with it if it wasn't in a cradle :p

Android 2.0 is already out on a couple of phones in America. The SDK and source code has been released and 2.0 (Eclair) has been rejigged, by non Google coders such as Cyanogen, to run on the original Android phone the G1.

The official release? No idea.

The Cyanogen version that will run on a rooted phone and be better than Google's version (imo)? Before Google's official version and proabably before Xmas.

Back
Top Bottom