***HTC Magic Thread***

Been having a play with these in store, and I'm very impressed. Much like the iphone, its not about what I can do when you get it out the box, its all about what you can do with it when you start adding applications, and generally messing about with it.

I've got an iphone myself, but this is the first phone that has really come close to tempting me away from it. Its much faster, easier to use, and overall, far far far better than the Blackberry Storm which was our old hero handset.

Have sold a bucket load of them so far, but havent had a single one back with issues, which is also a good sign.

Two thumbs up from me.

TBH i was gonna get the iphone as it would double up as a media/mp3 player which I sorely need (old 1st gen 2gb ipod nano doesnt cut it much anymore). However the guys on here highlighting the Magic, and already being on a vodafone contract made me take note of this handset and so far its looking a superb puncher.

Whats the oppinion of the music side of things, i know its not the iphone but so far its done great in all other areas?

Love the look of the magic....Had the original G1 which i loved ..well was a big fan of android not so much the HW.

Currently using a iphone but looking at getting a magic in the next few days.

What i love about android is its not locked down like the iphone OS where your in a sandbox and reminds me very much of win mobile where you can customize the OS how you wish.

Th0nt I've not really bothered to put music on there any more, I only have a 2GB card and over 4GB of music for portable use but I don't need music on the move!

Also, anyone wanting a stand to put the Magic on for watching iPlayer/youtube etc may want to look at the Nokia 5800 stand which is around £1something on eBay, I grabbed one spare when I had the 5800 and am using it on the HTC :p

htcmagic_nokiastand.jpg

The no keyboard puts me off. I was looking at getting a HTC as my contract with Three is coming to an end and I really liked the Tytn 2 for the keyboard. I think I need to go play with one of these in store and see how the on screen keyboard feels.

I have mine set to vibrate on keypresses instead of make clicking noises, gives better feedback that I've made a hit when typing fast.

I found the best way to type on it is to strike the key and lift off instead of keeping your finger planted for a few more milliseconds as you may swipe a neighbour key as well!

It's a very fast keyboard too.

The no keyboard puts me off. I was looking at getting a HTC as my contract with Three is coming to an end and I really liked the Tytn 2 for the keyboard. I think I need to go play with one of these in store and see how the on screen keyboard feels.

I had 3 full qwerty phones in a row and then got a touch diamond and really struggled with the on screen keyboard. it was small and a bit unresponsive. The Magic is totally different and I'm very happy typing on it. Have a bash on one.

TBH i was gonna get the iphone as it would double up as a media/mp3 player which I sorely need (old 1st gen 2gb ipod nano doesnt cut it much anymore). However the guys on here highlighting the Magic, and already being on a vodafone contract made me take note of this handset and so far its looking a superb puncher.

Whats the oppinion of the music side of things, i know its not the iphone but so far its done great in all other areas?

I use a zune as my main media player but put a 16gb card in the magic and have added a few gigs of music. The player is easy to use and the sound is good, the zune hasn't come out since getting the Magic. With iplayer, youtube and decent music, there is no reason this couldn't be your main media player (with headphone adapter so you can use decent headphones - quid or so from ebay)

Glad to see so many happy Magic owners :)

It definetly is the best device around at the moment! (suck on that RIM!! :p )

If you have trouble getting used to the on-screen keyboard you can start by using it sideways till you get used to it. Eventually it will be just as easy as typing on a full hardware keyboard. Or just get one of the customized ones with bigger "buttons".

Gogo Magic!!

The only thing I wish was available out the box was being able to set custom tones for notifications, you can do this for ring tones for calls but not emails, texts and google chat requests - anyone know a workaround?

Awesome,

I've been adding addresses for contacts in gmail and when you view them on the phone it loads the address in Google maps and you can then choose to view it in the usual Google maps views then directions to it or from it :D

Love it!

Just wanted to double check, is the only difference from the G1 and the Magic the keyboard ?

As the G1 is a lot cheaper if I were just to buy the handset.

Almost, magic has no keyboard so is much smaller/lighter/better looking. The battery is better and the phone has double the rom so you can store a lot more apps (although I don't think most g1 owners run out of space yet). Some people have suggested that the screen is more responsive but I don't know about that.

If you don't mind the size and looks then go for the g1.

I've solved the issue of not being able to assign a custom notification tone/message alrt tone!

Get App(s) called "Ringdroid" and "Rings Extended"

Ring Droid allows basic editing of sound files and saving as rings, tones, notifications etc so the Android UI sees them whereas Rings Extended allows complete integration of custom sounds selection on any dialogue where you choose sounds.

Excellent!

It's like firefox all over again (applications<>extensions).

The only thing I wish was available out the box was being able to set custom tones for notifications, you can do this for ring tones for calls but not emails, texts and google chat requests - anyone know a workaround?

I think what you need to do is create the following folders on your sdcard :
alarms
notifications
ringtones

Then copy the sound files which you want to use in the specific folder and select them from within the settings menu.

I use a zune as my main media player but put a 16gb card in the magic and have added a few gigs of music. The player is easy to use and the sound is good, the zune hasn't come out since getting the Magic. With iplayer, youtube and decent music, there is no reason this couldn't be your main media player (with headphone adapter so you can use decent headphones - quid or so from ebay)

Thanks skidder!

Mrk keep these invaluable finds coming!

(T minus 3 days for me)

I think what you need to do is create the following folders on your sdcard :
alarms
notifications
ringtones

Then copy the sound files which you want to use in the specific folder and select them from within the settings menu.

Thanks! but your post came a little too late dude as I found an integrated solution :D

Back
Top Bottom