***HTC Magic Thread***

Do you mean to make a new tone? RingDroid is what i've used before... Or am I missing the point?
No, the magic doesn't allow custom text message ringtones to be selected, so it requires a separate app. Ringo has been fine for me until now, but aFirewall seems to cut the ringtone off after about 0.1 secs, meaning i'm unlikely to hear it.

It's silly that you can't use custom text message ringtones by default, it's such a basic thing.

I'm not a fan of Chomp really, slower than stock messaging app but Rings Extended adds ringtone sections to all messaging notification apps.
Replace Ringo with it.

You can select different ringtones/alerts for txt, or at least i can.

I use Handcent SMS, chomp is good, handcent is better imo. :)

Well...my Magic went for a swim in a glass of water last night and sunk. I'm going to leave it a few days to dry out, but I'm not hopeful.

With that in mind, what do insurance companies usually do about replacing phones? Will I have to send it off to them to prove it's broken, or will they just send me a cheque?

Bit hacked off really - I've had seven phones and I've never broken or even lost a single one :(
You could also try this...

http://www.bitterwallet.com/a-rice-and-easy-way-to-resurrect-water-damaged-mobiles/22751

now then ocuk, apart from the initial buzz of me getting the magic ive not really done much to it in the past months its getting slow and sluggish often crashes and force closes looking to sort it out and bring it up to date any new decent things that are a must have ?

Have you rooted?

> If not then Root
> Enable Navigation (install Nav Launcher and follow instructions to get patched maps app in it)
> Install other cool apps like Glympse and have a play
> Play with Google Goggles app

4.2.8 out today.

Cyanogen said:
---- v4.2.8
* Updated kernel with many fixes
* Updated Compcache module
* Updated APN list
* Automatic zipalign of applications at install time
* Eclair dialer backport from ChainsDD
* Various bugfixes from CodeAurora
* Updated phone app from Cytown
* Enabled precise GC for Dalvik
* Some ported visual elements from Eclair
* New launcher tray (from Moonspoon)
* Fix for Android bug 2719

This may be my imagination but it actually seems faster than 4.2.7.1

Is it or am I imagining it?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, so I put my Magic back together after a couple of days on the radiator....and it works. Perfectly! :D :D :D Except that when it's switched off, the backlight randomly flashes on and off. Which is a bit of a major pain when I'm trying to sleep.

Still, pretty trivial fault considering everything else works fine! :D

Does anyone have a link to a guide showing you how to root the magic from start to finish? I've checked XDA Devs and not found anything that tells me exactly what to do!

Cheers :)
There are several mega posts in this thread, mainly mine. :D Have a look for them because I hassled EllioR a lot and linked to loads of XDA Devs threads and Cyanogen's site. ;)

Certainly faster here, amazing stuff. I quite liked the darker launcher tray BG though but this is also OK I guess.

I like the new dialler and window animations though, not bouncy any more but zoom/fade combination...nice!

[Posting from the bath ***!]

I'm sure a fix will emerge but I fear that might come too late since Bravo and other high spec HTC models are coming starting January and I fear the Magic popularity among the devs might fall in terms of making it rootable with 1.6 installed as stock?

Sad times if that is the case.

Also because of the speed increases from Cyanogen's roms it makes you wonder if Google released 1.5 as merely a feeler to see what interest among the public is like...I mean compare the speed between Cyan's rom and a stock rom and you realise just how slow the stock Android OS is - of course this change from Eclair onwards as 2.0+ are pretty fast from stock but then again these OSes came on better phones from stock too.

Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom