***HTC Magic Thread***

So far I've not had to do anything except run Fix apk uid mismatches in Amon Ra's recovery (if anyone who's rooted doesn't have his recovery get it. It's a lot easier to use than the 1.4 Cyanogen that most people tend to get when they first root)

I've seen it, used a lot by G1 users as their memory is pants (the phones not them. Well saying that maybe they have bad memory themselves as well, how would I know? It's not like I know any of them.)

You could be the guinea pig on tis one ML ;)

Hey would anyone mind putting together the best way to back up your old memory card and install a new one with the before mentioned method of installing with a swap and ext4 ?

Would really help me out!

Thanks

It can all be done via Nandroid+EXT backup and restore in Amon RA's recovery version 1.5.2 quite easily then once backed up insert the new card, boot to recovery, partition+create ext on the new card, move the SD card's contents via PC from old card to new card, boot back into recovery using new card then Nandroid restore.

As far as I'm aware you have to be rooted to do this.

The way I did it.

I connected my Magic to my computer and went to the drop down notification bar and mounted the sdcard so it was a drive on my PC.

I copied the contents of my sdcard to my pc.

I then changed sdcards and used adb + sdparted to format my 8gb card. If you already know how to do this then thats fine but if not I am not going to type up a tutorial for this as using Amon Ra's recovery image is the easiest way to now do it.

Use Amon Ra's recovery to format your new clean sdcard

I, using the other more complicated method, formatted my 8gb card thus...

512mb ext4
96mb Linux swap
Fat32 the rest of the card

once my sdcard was as above I once again hooked up my phone to my PC and copied back the folders/files that I had copied from my old card earlier.

Ok, Just waiting on my micro sd card to arrive, will then get myself updated to Amon Ra recovery instead of the cyanogen one I have been using for a while now. It just worked so didn't want to change it hehe.

There's nothing you can do in Amon Ra's recovery that you can't do in Cyanogens, well Amon Ra's is based off of Cyanogen's, but in Amon Ra's it's just there for you in options. No adb needed.

Well thats a lie as Amon Ra has added things like selectable nandroid backups plus other useful stuff.

Has anyone worked out how I can downgrade mine from 1.6 to 1.5 so I can install Cyanogen? I am proper confused!

Tonyyeb - I've seen your thread on XDA, did you find a solution?

Last edited:
Oh that's changed, mine was the non R version for non Rogers (US network) but looks like G is for a 32B handset so you'd want G I guess as long as Amon has put that line in the right order in the description lol.

Back
Top Bottom