***HTC Magic Thread***

All your questions are solved by use of widgets and apps :p Venture into the Market on the phone and browse away!

As for the bluetooth, I too could not get my SE k800i to send stuff to the phone but it wasn't a major issue and I admit I forgot about that! - I think it's to do with the new Bluetooth spec used in the Magic, only compatible devices can transfer data to it?

I paired my Samsung bluetooth earpiece for car use with it perfectly though, it's a Samsung WEP-150 and it works flawlessly.

Play around with apps and settings, there's a wealth of stuff to change around, every messaging app style has it's own sound notification for example (gmail, txt, email, default notification for system sounds etc) - I would recommend ringtones extended as the first app to install then just bung sounds onto the SD and customise away!

MSN, Skype, Facebook all have apps, I use fBook for mobile facebook browsing :p

All your questions are solved by use of widgets and apps :p Venture into the Market on the phone and browse away!

As for the bluetooth, I too could not get my SE k800i to send stuff to the phone but it wasn't a major issue and I admit I forgot about that! - I think it's to do with the new Bluetooth spec used in the Magic, only compatible devices can transfer data to it?

I paired my Samsung bluetooth earpiece for car use with it perfectly though, it's a Samsung WEP-150 and it works flawlessly.

Play around with apps and settings, there's a wealth of stuff to change around, every messaging app style has it's own sound notification for example (gmail, txt, email, default notification for system sounds etc) - I would recommend ringtones extended as the first app to install then just bung sounds onto the SD and customise away!

MSN, Skype, Facebook all have apps, I use fBook for mobile facebook browsing :p

Cheers mrk...one thing i also forgot to ask...i have all my contacts stored on my outlook email program on my laptop...when i connect my Magic to the laptop....i imagine that it will give me the option to synch through there??.

Ive already got my ringtone set as the crank ringtone:p:D...but need to set up my sms and email ringtones so ill have to figure out a way of doing that.

Now media cards??..it only takes SD cards??...shame that Voda couldnt be bothered to stick a 1gb card in there...well i didnt get one..am thinkinbg of ringing them up and having a moan about it:p...not that i expect them to give me one but no harm in trying lol.

Ill have a look at fbook...skype is interesting...does the Magic support skype??. Ive seen a msn client but its not an official one...i was hoping there would be an official windows messenger client but doesnt matter.

It should have come with a 2GB card! mine did!

Go into a Voda shop and ask about it, they'll usually bung you a free 4GB card~ if you express concern and have "lots of music" :D

I'll get an 8GB one soon as the USB mounting is so easy I might as well use the phone as a USB pendrive at the same time which also double sit up as a USB charger LOL - two birds, one stone etc.

I don't think there is an official client out yet but I imagine there will be, it's a Google system and many big names will be looking to get their stuff on it once the marketplace opens up. Just need to wait for the other carriers to get the next batch of Android phones!

Gotta repeat though, Android OS is really nice, it feels so polished and smooth, everything looks like it uses AA and is nicely rounded, no odd colours anywhere, no odd cuts or wipes in transitions, there's blurring and transparency and an overall feel of a modern computer OS - not something you get on most smartphones (iPhone excluded of course :p).

Last edited:
It should have come with a 2GB card! mine did!

Go into a Voda shop and ask about it, they'll usually bung you a free 4GB card~ if you express concern and have "lots of music" :D

I'll get an 8GB one soon as the USB mounting is so easy I might as well use the phone as a USB pendrive at the same time which also double sit up as a USB charger LOL - two birds, one stone etc.

I don't think there is an official client out yet but I imagine there will be, it's a Google system and many big names will be looking to get their stuff on it once the marketplace opens up. Just need to wait for the other carriers to get the next batch of Android phones!

Gotta repeat though, Android OS is really nice, it feels so polished and smooth, everything looks like it uses AA and is nicely rounded, no odd colours anywhere, no odd cuts or wipes in transitions, there's blurring and transparency and an overall feel of a modern computer OS - not something you get on most smartphones (iPhone excluded of course :p).

Ok cool ill pop into my local voda shop and see what they say...i should have asked but didnt.

I gotta agree with you Android is something else...forget the iphone as i was looking at picking up the new one later this yr but this new andriod phone has blown me away really and its a real pleasure to use...i dont like touchscreen phones but one i do like was the iphone but this one is just as good if not as good as the iphone touch screen and the screen is gorgeous...very vivid and bright.

Off to find some themes and other stuff:p

There is a Skype app. :)

edit---------->

Oh and evil glare at Spawn. Making me want this phone even more now.

LOL seriously id recommend anyone to get one and thats saying something from me as im a BB man all the way but the Magic just looks the part and acts it very well. Im very impressed with the performance of it...its pretty quick and snappy and is pretty nice imho.

I would have had the G1 if it wasnt so damn pig ugly:p...but after having a look at the Magic at the voda shop i was very very impressed with the build quality of it.

Already downloaded quite a few apps:p...

Someone asked about themes - I've only seen themes for the non-default home apps i.e. I've seen loads of themes for ahome and openhome but none for the default home (don't know if they exist?). So to get themes you can download ahome lite or openhome lite from the app store and then search for themes for them. There's also Sweeter home and dxtop. Actually ahome seems by far the most popular and has the most themes followed by dxtop which has no free version. Otherwise you could try making them yourself...

Someone asked about themes - I've only seen themes for the non-default home apps i.e. I've seen loads of themes for ahome and openhome but none for the default home (don't know if they exist?). So to get themes you can download ahome lite or openhome lite from the app store and then search for themes for them. There's also Sweeter home and dxtop. Actually ahome seems by far the most popular and has the most themes followed by dxtop which has no free version. Otherwise you could try making them yourself...

Cheers mate, ill have a look into that and download the ahome app. Does that also allow you to change the wallpapers etc??

Would have thought a phone running a new Bluetooth standard would be backwards compatible? Which Bluetooth version does the Magic run? I'll do some research on that.

Spawn - you should return the phone from the shop and get it online. It will cost less (£5 per month in fact). Exclusive online deal. Over 24 months that is £120 saved and further, you could get insurance for £6.95 instead. Just a thought. You are within the 14 days which *should* apply to instore deals... I think. The online deal is also an 18 month deal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/htc-magic?WT_ref=INT-Shphm-Hr-Pym-Phns-20

BLAST!!!

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22740&view=findpost&p=152668 :(

Last edited:
Spawn - you should return the phone from the shop and get it online. It will cost less (£5 per month in fact). Exclusive online deal. Over 24 months that is £120 saved and further, you could get insurance for £6.95 instead. Just a thought. You are within the 14 days which *should* apply to instore deals... I think. The online deal is also an 18 month deal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/htc-magic?WT_ref=INT-Shphm-Hr-Pym-Phns-20

BLAST!!!

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22740&view=findpost&p=152668 :(

Well thats the thing i did ask the guy if there was any sort of refund policy but he said because you have tried it instore he said they dont and wont take it back...whereas online or over the phone because you dont get a chance to play with it they give you 14 days to return in.

Im not really that fussed tbh mate...£35 over 24mths is nothing i cant afford...plus it will be used more for texting and internet useage rather than calls as i have a tmobile contract which gives me more than enough call time.

Bluetooth 2.0 if I remember right.

Does anyone have screenshots of aHome in action? does it remove existing desktop icons and stuff?

Well i just tried it...you have to buy it though £3.27 i think it works out...so i bought it no problem but the app wont download either through the 3G or wifi connection...just sits at authorising credit card...in the end i just cancelled the download and refunded my money back.

The bluetooth issue is a bit of a pain...im hoping it will be solved as i dont tend to connect and transfer my media through a laptop...i usually bluetooth tones etc from my laptop to the phone.

I havent tried from my laptop to the Magic so am gonna try again and see if that works out...fingers crossed it will.

I just have the USB cable plugged into my PC which I charge the phone with (and send data to/from).

Also anyone noticed that the search button in the browser uses google suggest/search as you type? makes searching a pinch!

Hmmm interesting...my laptop finds the Magic and pairs fine with it just like it does with my BB Bold but when i go to send a file...it just fails:(...so in a way thats kinda silly as whats the point of having a BT handset if you cant just send files to another BT handset...unless the Magic only allows headsets:confused:

Anyways ill just have to use the usb cable i suppose but im going to call voda tommorrow and see what they have to say about it. I have no issues regarding BT with my Bold and my laptop and they both are BT 2 standard.

Just keep an eye on xda dev forum, someone will be working on it no doubt

Interesting because having a look at the xda developers forums, where im a member due to my past dalliances with Winmo devices...it seems like Voda has left out quite a few bits...one of the reasons why i despise network branded phones but i didnt realise that voda has left out quite a few features from what others are saying on the xda forums:(.

Is it possible to de-brand the google phones like you can with nokia phones that come branded??.

Also seems like im not the only one who cant send stuff via BT...definitely going to ring Voda up tommorrow to see if they know about this issue and see if there is a fix...if not then im sorry its just not acceptable tbh and as much as i hate to say it...i will return the phone back as much as i dont want to.

The only things I've read that have been left out are voice activation and something else which I forgot but recall it being a small issue at best - neither of which I use or intend to ever use!

I assume most people don't use such features either and certainly not a reason to return over!! - you're not going to get a better phone than this at the moment until more Android phones start coming out on other networks which is 4 months away.

Network branding on this phone is minimal too compared to other vodafone handsets, only a boot screen logo, menu shortcut to Voda homepage and 2 missing features - rather that than £400 for a sim free one.

All Vodafone Magics are sim unlocked btw to which is nice.

Last edited:
The only things I've read that have been left out are voice activation and something else which I forgot but recall it being a small issue at best - neither of which I use or intend to ever use!

I assume most people don't use such features either and certainly not a reason to return over!! - you're not going to get a better phone than this at the moment until more Android phones start coming out on other networks which is 4 months away.

Network branding on this phone is minimal too compared to other vodafone handsets, only a boot screen logo, menu shortcut to Voda homepage and 2 missing features - rather that than £400 for a sim free one.

All Vodafone Magics are sim unlocked btw to which is nice.

Yeh i suppose you have a point...i copied over the tones i wanted via the usb cable.

Hmmm i was told that the Magic is locked to Voda as its an exclusive for them....ill have to try my tmobile sim in it to see if it works...

Oh by the way i did have a 2gb card in mine...just didnt realise it till i connected it to my laptop:D.

On the question with contacts...i have all my contacts synched with my outlook program but i guess theres no synch software for the Magic that allows it to synch with outlook so i can copy my contacts over??. From what i read of the minimal instruction booklet...it seems you can only do it via google..so i guess ill have to import all my contacts from outlook into google apps??

Edit: just shoved a tmobile sim in it and it works...altho i dont get the 3G signal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom