***HTC Magic Thread***

I'm loving mine so far. Already had a gmail account and google calendar - these synced without a problem. Web browser is nice. There isn't a version of flash player yet but it's supposed to be coming.
The battery isn't too great, especially if you're using Wifi + 3G + GPS a lot. These can be turned on and off as needed to conserve battery. Mine stays on the charge almost all the time. The recommendation is to keep it on a charger as much as possible and avoid full discharges and apparently this will improve the battery life.
Have installed a few apps. Would recommend advanced task manager lite for shutting stuff down, net counter for keeping an eye on what data you use. Record it is handy to remotely set your Sky+, there are several fart generators if you like that kinda thing. ;)

I've been toying with the idea of sending the phone back due to the crappy 500MB 'limit' imposed by Vodafone but really can't part with it now.

I'm loving mine so far. Already had a gmail account and google calendar - these synced without a problem. Web browser is nice. There isn't a version of flash player yet but it's supposed to be coming.
The battery isn't too great, especially if you're using Wifi + 3G + GPS a lot. These can be turned on and off as needed to conserve battery. Mine stays on the charge almost all the time. The recommendation is to keep it on a charger as much as possible and avoid full discharges and apparently this will improve the battery life.
Have installed a few apps. Would recommend advanced task manager lite for shutting stuff down, net counter for keeping an eye on what data you use. Record it is handy to remotely set your Sky+, there are several fart generators if you like that kinda thing. ;)

I've been toying with the idea of sending the phone back due to the crappy 500MB 'limit' imposed by Vodafone but really can't part with it now.

Same sort of opinion as me...loving mine and as much as i hate the 500mb limit i dont think i can part with this phone...its a good thing that ill be using WIFI with it for most of the internet browsing.

Battery life on mine isnt too bad...again it depends on how hard you use it but i have mine on charge every night anyways.

I heard letting a full charge once then let battery empty before charging to be best method. Anyone have opinion on this?

There was a debate about this on the vodaform forum here The general concensus was charge as much as possible.

Just out of interest. Anyone tempted by one of the desktop cradles? Have't seen one in stock anywhere yet though.

Hmm I may wait to hear what happens with the samsung i7500. Not too sure about the differences apart from the samsung bringing a oled screen.

Well i dont know what the differences will be but theres a chance that the screen on the samsung wont be as accurate as the Magic one is...its very responsive i find much like an iphone.

With the Magic im thinking whats the point of the iphone...i was thinking of getting one when the new one comes out but dont see any point in doing so...altho knowing me and how much i love my phones...ill probably get one:D

My niece loved the magic, she spent some time drawing in the Draw application hehe!

Everyone else liked it to in London yesterday too, one of my uncles has the iPod Touch and had a game on it where you fly a space ship around shooting things in 3d - you move around by moving the ipod around - anyone know of a similar Android game? looked cool!

Also, we shotgunned each other ¬_¬

I was using 3G all day yesterday, 100% charged in the morning and by the time I got home at around 1am I had 21% battery left. That's pretty impressive IMO for being used all day with 3G and some GPS showing everyone how the camera overlaid wikitude and google maps street view works!

Just out of interest. Anyone tempted by one of the desktop cradles? Have't seen one in stock anywhere yet though.

I would liek to know too, I like cradles and the Magic would look SICK in one on my desk :D

Anyone have any ideas on a decent in car holder?

mrk, what are you using or not...?

I don't use a car holder, my car has a cubby just the right size lol

Last edited:
Mine has been despatched. :D

Anyone know of a game like the ATC one on the iPhone. Where you have loads of planes that you need to line up for landing and not send them into a crash?

Edit: Called Flight control.

Last edited:
I've had a bit of a change of heart about the phone. I still love the phone but reading the replies from the Vodafone CS people in their forum it seems they have no intention of upping the data cap from 500MB. Considering what O2 provide for the iphone or even one of their web boltons this is really poor.
As I'm still within my 14 days I might just return the phone. :(

Unfortunately I wiped the original MP3s off the SD card. :rolleyes: Does anyone know if these are downloadable anywhere?

I really would not be concerned about the 500MB cap to the point of returning one of the finest phones out!

Most other phones iwll just feel limited and tame in comparison :p

Seems like i have a major issue with mine...the fact that i cant get a decent 3G signal here where i work in Canary Wharf and for me that could very well be a deal breaker...what good is the phone to me if it cant even hold onto a 3G signal...my Tmobile Bold gets full signal and doesnt drop...so in this instance Vodafone dont have a very good 3G signal here in Canary Wharf unless its the phone itself that cant hold onto the signal.
At home its perfectly fine although i use my wifi to browse the net...id hate to give the phone up but after spending most of last week on the phone to them...they havent been able to fix the problem im having.

Bonsai blaster is such a wicked game:p...almost missed my stop today because i was so immersed in the game.

I had a play with the HTC Hero the other night. The photos really don't do it justice. The hardware kicks sever shades of poop out of the Magic and the UI is stunning. Personally I'd hold fire on buying one of the Vodafone Magics and wait till you see what the Hero has to offer. It has a gorgeous touch screen and a 5MP camera.

Offer in the express today. HTC magic unlimited texts 300mins 24month contract for £20 a month on Vodafone. Is that a good deal? Will it still be a decent phone in two years time?

20 a month sounds good to me! it's in between my current one at £24 a month!

Nothing will be decent in 2 years time :p

It will still be a cool phone though no doubt! but mid way I'll likely get the then latest android phone and sell the magic, mainly in looking forward to more battery power, larger screen res, divx support, internal hd, higher quality camera (VGA resolution video at the least).

The magic was my first venture into a proper smartphone, I don't think the Nokia 5800 was because it didn't offer me anything I could make decent use of but the Magic does and I like it, lots :p

Won't be getting a non-Android powered phone ever again though. Unless Google go bust!

Back
Top Bottom