***HTC Magic Thread***

Yeah.........Kona, yours doesn't seem to be a u-bop, check the ubop site.

I know it differs to the advertised product (I prefer this to the one advertised) but it's definably a U-Bop, I have the purchase order to prove it;

UBopRcpt-1.jpg

UBopRcpt-2.jpg

Do you ever use the flash?

I had the K800i for 18months and not a single time did I use the flash!

Thats actually a good point! I suppose if I ever need to take good photos then I use my normal camera. Is it easy to email photos as attachments with this phone?

* Whats the sat nav like?
* Will it play divx easily?
* Why are people getting this and not waiting for the Samsung i7500?

(thanks for the video of sending a photo)
(EDIT - just cancelled my three contract so the hunt for a new phone is now official!)

Last edited:
Phones 4 U won't let me have the £30 a month special contract unless I take it as a new contract else it will cost me £35 a month to upgrade & keep my existing number

does this sound right? the guy in the shop was a bit of a tool

* Whats the sat nav like?
* Will it play divx easily?
* Why are people getting this and not waiting for the Samsung i7500?

(thanks for the video of sending a photo)
(EDIT - just cancelled my three contract so the hunt for a new phone is now official!)

Not used Satnav properly yet as I only intend to use it for footwork, the car has satnav already so no need for me :p

DIVX support is not out yet, It could be done via apps but someone needs to do it!

The Samsung doesn't look as modern as the HTC I suppose, it has a few more nice touches but ultimately You're buying a Google phone and people associate cool and funky with Google so the Magic appeals more - the Sammy looks like any other Samsung handset - it does not stand out from the crowd!

Phones 4 U won't let me have the £30 a month special contract unless I take it as a new contract else it will cost me £35 a month to upgrade & keep my existing number

does this sound right? the guy in the shop was a bit of a tool

Update

Phoned Vodafone and told them I fancied an upgrade to the HTC Magic
Gave them the sob story about Phones4U

Got 600mins, unlimited txt & internet for £29 a month

I'm happy :)

Not sure if anyone has noticed but new customers can get £105 off, using quidco and Dial a phone @ work scheme, here http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/youatwork/, so goto quidco follow the link, then paste http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/youatwork/ into the adress bar (when you have reached the link quidco provides). This gives you £60 via quidco after quidco typical payment time scale and £45 via Dial a phone after 28-40 days.

This works out £24.17 a month over the 18 month period.

EDIT: Dial a phone not Phones4u sorry.

Last edited:
The Samsung doesn't look as modern as the HTC I suppose, it has a few more nice touches but ultimately You're buying a Google phone and people associate cool and funky with Google so the Magic appeals more - the Sammy looks like any other Samsung handset - it does not stand out from the crowd!

Maybe true but from a techie perspective, i'm gonna wait for the Sammy.

*5 MP auto focus camera with flash.

*OLED screen, brighter/less power consumption

* 1500mAh battery compared to the 1340mAh battery in the G2. This should mean greater talk/standby times especially coupled with the better screen.

*Thinner/Lighter then the HTC magic

*Standard 3.5MM audio jack, for use with any headphones.

*8GB on board memory out of the box.

Ive always thought Samsung make good phones hardware wise. I just hate their own software, hopefully a Samsung phone with android will be a really good pairing :D

Maybe true but from a techie perspective, i'm gonna wait for the Sammy.

Ill use my DSLR for decent pictures

I run the Maguc on 12% brightness... so brighter isn't required

* 1500mAh battery compared to the 1340mAh battery in the G2. This should mean greater talk/standby times especially coupled with the better screen.

One area I will change when higher capacity batteries are available. Currently two days of heavy use is all it gives. That is wifi on all the time, gps used a lot, music playing etc...

Any thinner and lighter i'd lose it!

Can see why some people want to use different headphones. For me the ones supplied seem fine.

Might come in handy in the future. At the moment im using about 20% of the 2gb card.

I have been reading up on oled. Seems its not always the best option

And now we have the N85 with an OLED screen - how does it fare in the sunlight test? As you might expect, given the physics involved (pixels glowing for themselves), it doesn't do well. Here's the N85 snapped in the Autumn sun in the UK. Not good.
n85oled3.jpg

edit - more info here http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/blog/?p=2921 which balances the argument.

Last edited:

Ive always thought Samsung make good phones hardware wise. I just hate their own software, hopefully a Samsung phone with android will be a really good pairing :D

Out of all that only the battery point I would concede. Everything else is either personal choice or can be rectified right now. The good this is this phone is already out and the build is excellent negating the point about the samsung being 'thinner/lighter'. Not like some guys on here had the phone for a month already :rolleyes: !

The other thing to consider is the community support.

Being a HTC handset, I can't wait for the guys over at XDA Developers to start churning out custom ROMs.

I was going to wait for the Samsung too, but the above reason made me get the Magic.

Back
Top Bottom