***HTC Magic Thread***

Its only UK places it does right?

Yes for shopsavvy. I haven't tried all the other barcode scanning apps but shopsavvy gives me prices in pounds and links to british sites such as blackwells, waterstones etc.

I might put a texting vid up tomorrow, basically it's what you'd expect. Easiest to text in landscape mode as the keyboard is bigger. It has a bar with the most likely words as you type so you never have to finish a long word. It also auto corrects so if you type 'dont' or 'seperate' for example it will correct them automatically. Obviously basic functions such as cut and paste and text selection are all there unlike some other phones...:p

Good to hear. :) :)

Really tempted now.

I want to see it for myself but the only phone shop in Aber is The Carphone Warehouse and they don't have it yet.

have to say after the g1 i was really put off the whole android phone 'thing', but this looks mighty impressive.

Having never had a 'smartphone' before, what is it like for putting content such as dvd's etc on?

I would not use it for watching movies personally but you can convert them to H264 and play using the downloadable H264 player that's out for it or a phone compatible standard video encode - the stock player is fine for watching normal vids and everything but it's no media orientated player!

Search results in barcode scanner seem to be UK only though, can't imagine wanting to bus it to USA to buy stuff :D

Any chance of a video of texting please?

Texting using both v/h keyboards:

(Excuse my lack of speed, first touch phone I've ever used :p)

Just wondering are these unlocked? bibalasvegas or mrk can you try?

Locked to Vodafone yeah, exclusive to Vodafone for 4 months then other networks will get them.

Hmmm ok thanks mrk.

Will be waiting to see what comes up with the Omnia HD, then make my decision.

I do like the look of this though. Looks like its pretty fast aswell. You still only used WiFi and not tried the 3G for stuff?

I've used 3G a fair bit today and found it to be not slow or anything, in fact it seems to be similar speed to wifi - no problems to report at all!

Locked to Vodafone yeah, exclusive to Vodafone for 4 months then other networks will get them.
Ah interesting. So once the other networks can get the Magic, we could see better deals as a result of competition?

Oh and the wallpaper on your Magic, is that a pic you took? Looks as if it is quite a wide pic.

4 months is a long time.

Ive always been on O2, since I got my first phone when it was BT Cellnet back in yonder year when ever it was. Would just feel strange moving away.

Been looking around (AVForums) and people say its unlocked...?

Also

soon due on PAYG with an estimated price of £350.

Usuall call holding, forwarding features etc on it?

Hmmm that's interesting, I'm only going by what Vodafone said on the phone!

I'll try a different sim in a bit!

The only vodafone branding in the phone itself is a Vodafone icon in the main menu which takes you to their website and of course on the phone itse;f a Vodafone label.

Hmmm that's interesting, I'm only going by what Vodafone said on the phone!

I'll try a different sim in a bit!

The only vodafone branding in the phone itself is a Vodafone icon in the main menu which takes you to their website and of course on the phone itse;f a Vodafone label.

No Voda phones are locked now (certainly on contract). I'm pretty sure they made that policy sometime in 2008 or so and there was an announcement on their forum to this effect.

I had a play with one of these at the Vodafone shop yesterday.

Must say I'm extremely impressed with it. Pictures just don't do the device any justice.

Touch screen was great and the OS extremely responsive.

I'm not sure I can bare on another 4 months on my HTC Touch Dual, but I'm not keen on moving to Vodafone either :(

You could load Android onto your Touch Dual (aka Nike I believe) - http://it029000.massey.ac.nz/vogue/

It only requires files on your storage card and leaves windows mobile intact.

Here is the how to- http://www.androidonhtc.com/installing_android

I'm not trying to take over the thread, but its definitely worth doing if you want a hands on test with the OS.

Last edited:
My contracts up in a months time and I'll very tempted to get this handset.

After using Symbian and MS phone operating systems, I fancy giving Android a go.

Although I have seen some coverage of the Samsung I7500 that looks pretty impressive too.

Back
Top Bottom