***HTC Magic Thread***

I've not really got a fav one at the moment but my family are already thinking I'm weird and giving me funny looks for randomly scanning household items LMAO!

I've been too busy just managing my Gmail contacts really, the preset groups in Gmail called Friends, Family and Colleagues do not show up on the Android for some reason so I created a new grouping schema by putting a "-" in front of my own contact groups so recreated those 3 groups called "- Friends" and so on and they show up fine.

Others will need to do this incase they wonder wtf the Family group doesn't show for example! - makes it easier to send birthday messages and seasonal stuff just to family or friends etc.

Haha. :D

Mum comes back from the shop with a loaf of bread ----> scan the barcode ----> "Mum you could have got this for 4p cheaper from Tesco instead of ASDA"

I would so annoy my parents doing that.

So in your Gmail you still have the Fiends, Family still aswell as "- friends", "- family" groups, but they are specifically for the phone?

Mum comes back from the shop with a loaf of bread ----> scan the barcode ----> "Mum you could have got this for 4p cheaper from Tesco instead of ASDA"

I would so annoy my parents doing that.

I've got to admit I would feel self-conscious going into Waitrose and scanning products lol.

People will think I'm defo weird I reckon if I did that.
Try Waterstones as I've already discussed. ;):p

So in your Gmail you still have the Fiends, Family still aswell as "- friends", "- family" groups, but they are specifically for the phone?

Yep the preset ones you cannot delete so I simply moved everyone from them into the new cloned ones which do show up on the phone and decided not to use the preset ones anymore. The group called "My Contacts" is a total of all your contacts in all groups so this is always visible on the phone.

For the barcodes?

Yep :p

Keep the info coming mrk, im editting my gmail account so its all ready for when I get the handset this week!

No probs!

Try Waterstones as I've already discussed. ;):p

Book/DVD/CD scanning is awesome with it as it remembers the history of scans so when you get home you can e-buy them :D

I've also found through some trialling that the default resolution to make your desktop wallpapers so they span correctly is around 640x480 then just span the view to max on the phone

Last edited:
Pressing down the home key shows recently used apps, not running apps!

Slide down the status bar to see running apps, they will be under "Ongoing" heading, open them up and hit the back key until it closes away and goes to the desktop again!

Yep the preset ones you cannot delete so I simply moved everyone from them into the new cloned ones which do show up on the phone and decided not to use the preset ones anymore. The group called "My Contacts" is a total of all your contacts in all groups so this is always visible on the phone.

Ah thats good. :)

Book/DVD/CD scanning is awesome with it as it remembers the history of scans so when you get home you can e-buy them :D

Robbie, you are doing it wrong mate.

Just buy the thing cheaper from else where while you inside the shop... :D

Go with a mate and shout it across the shop aswell.

Yeah same, the HTC just ooks more modern/futuristic - the Samsung looks like a current gen phone with a big screen.

Also when holding the HTC it feels like it's one piece, the buttons are very sturdy in place and do not move and lack of additional buttons helps this. I don't think the Samsung will feel as good but I will of course visit the shop of whoever gets the Samsung in first to compare :)

I do like the 4way motion sensor though!

Yer it looks a lot like the J600, G900, G600 or what ever they are all called. They are all same buttons and stuff just different shapes and that looks the same but with a bigger screen.

If this Onmina HD aint out next week then I will be getting this for sure. Looks brilliant.

I've gone through th App market completely now and have narrowed my favourite apps listing to this lot:

htcmagic_apps.JPG

One that isn't listed there as it doesn't back up due to protection is Wireless Helper which connects you to WPA Enterprise and networks with hidden SSID so you can specify them etc (nice!).

The app used to back up these apps is called AppManager and allows restoration too :)

The Sky map app and GPS are very handy for constellation spotting/planet gazing, the sky map one is like Google Sky but in your hand real time!

More videos of other stuff such as iPlayer live stream + previous show, LastFM

Last edited:
Google chat works flawlessly, I joined single and group convos, you can go off the record and everything. It pretty much keeps you on gmail so people see you online :D I'm not using 3G for this but 2G so battery life is not majorly affected and it's all text so uses little bandwidth :)

Back
Top Bottom