***HTC Magic Thread***

Rooting now :D

I'm not sure what rom to get really, I want the Hero rom but my Magic is 32b as are all UK voda handsets so won't run very nicely on it (as expected) but perhaps ION.....

Ahh I get that method now, have gone into recovery mode and can see all the info needed to flash to a custom rom and everything.

Now because this one click method only flashes the recovery partition this would mean “root” is only available in recovery mode so if you boot the phone normally then you’re not running root. I suppose the upshot of this is you can painlessly install custom roms from recovery mode then just reboot – job done.

But what about apps in normal mode that require root? Or have I missed something :p

Have been looking for a rom and lots of people are raving about this one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=537204

Looks to be well supported as there is an update every couple of days. Anyone out there running this? If so what are your thoughts?

Will probably try this one tonight, I'll report back when done.

mrk, there is a Hero skin available for this one if your interested.:D

I've applied 3.9 update (linked above from Hairymanly @ http://www.ryebrye.com/blog/2009/08/16/android-rooting-in-1-click-in-progress/ ) so far, not done 4.0 yet in the latest link.

Basically it's very very easy using the method above. Every time you want to *OOOH NICE NEW ANDROID BOOT ANIMATION!* - sorry, was watching phone whilst typing :p

Basically a case of Loading up Recovery Flasher app on the phone, clicking on Flash then booting into Recovery mode.

First boot after a flash takes ages so be patient is what the guides say, mine is still booting....I hope it's ok!

The flash said it was successful :p

Last edited:
Basically it's very very easy using the method above. Every time you want to *OOOH NICE NEW ANDROID BOOT ANIMATION!* - sorry, was watching phone whilst typing :p

First boot after a flash takes ages so be patient is what the guides say, mine is still booting....I hope it's ok!

This, right now!

Hmmm, I seem to have lost 3G after flashing Cyanogen's v4. You still got it mrk?

EDIT: Doh, just had to set the 'APN' up - I've build tons of PCs but phones are waaaaaayy more complicated, learn new stuff everyday I guess :)

This Cyanogen ROM seems an improvement over the stock version - you get a few preinstalled apps (for Office and PDFs), multi-touch zooming in the browser, a handy reboot button when holding the power button and a few other tweaks. Now I've fixed the 3G issue and got the Hero keyboard working properly, I'll have to have a bit more of a play! :D

Last edited:
Hmmm, I seem to have lost 3G after flashing Cyanogen's v4. You still got it mrk?

EDIT: Doh, just had to set the 'APN' up - I've build tons of PCs but phones are waaaaaayy more complicated, learn new stuff everyday I guess :)

This Cyanogen ROM seems an improvement over the stock version - you get a few preinstalled apps (for Office and PDFs), multi-touch zooming in the browser, a handy reboot button when holding the power button and a few other tweaks. Now I've fixed the 3G issue and got the Hero keyboard working properly, I'll have to have a bit more of a play! :D

I lost 3G and 2G too (but could make calls etc) - what APN settings did you use? I think it's because the rom used in 4.0 is a Tmobile rom so Vodafone won't work by default!

Edit*

Sorted,

APN user/pass is web/web and APN name is "internet".

Awesome stuff :D

I have noticed I need to manually reinstall all apps via the market in order for them to show up in "my downloads" in the market and thus receive auto update notifications for them. Simply restoring apps via MyBackup pro or Astro does not work as it does not sign it with the Market which is a bit crap if you've got lots of apps like me (31) but oh well!

Last edited:
VPN? :p

I like the added transparency in various bits now, the new transition animations are nice as are the inclusion of tweak settings here and there!

You can still enter the recovery mode and it still shows the modded infos in said mode which is nice - I guess I will stick with this version until official Donut is out now :p

Anyone with a magic, red/green colourblind? I am and am wondering if you can tell the difference between the different colours of the LED? It's LED's that cause me most grief in my colourblinedness. Not that I expect this to be much of an issue when I get mine in the morning, hopefully, or Monday (please post office bring it on Saturday morning).

Only time you'll see the Orange or Red LED is when it's charging or when battery is low so not really an issue to worry about :p

Edit*

Oh and also LANDSCAPE HOME SCREEN ORIENTATION YAY!

Last edited:
No idea having not tried donut from stock!

Also there's various new camera/camcorder settings too with a functional zoom and OSD which is neat.

Pretty much, this rom rocks ass :D

Back
Top Bottom