***HTC Magic Thread***

to root or not root then, that is the question. Im generally a complete cackhand when it comes to stuff like this.

Is a brick a potential outcome here or are we safe as houses?

You'd be pretty safe so long as you read the whole guide pages posted earlier above TBH! but as always take care when flashing anything, make sure battery is charged etc :p

Also if it hangs after flashing on the Android screen logo then simply boot into recovery mode and do a wipe of the phone which should solve it (happened to me).

I flashed mine with 3.9 earlier, no problems a fairly easy to do. However my only moan is that weather bug has stopped working:( anyone else having this problem? I know it's nothing big and the extras you get more than make up for this but, weather bug is the best of the weather apps out there.

I lost 3G and 2G too (but could make calls etc) - what APN settings did you use? I think it's because the rom used in 4.0 is a Tmobile rom so Vodafone won't work by default!

Edit*

Sorted,

APN user/pass is web/web and APN name is "internet".

Awesome stuff :D

I have noticed I need to manually reinstall all apps via the market in order for them to show up in "my downloads" in the market and thus receive auto update notifications for them. Simply restoring apps via MyBackup pro or Astro does not work as it does not sign it with the Market which is a bit crap if you've got lots of apps like me (31) but oh well!

I copied the APN settings from my wifes magic (she has one becuase it looks nice:D) and they are totally different from the ones the are on the Vodafone site. From the top they go as follow:

Name - Vodafone UK-Contract
APN - wap.vodafone.co.uk
Proxy - <Not Set>
Port - <Not Set>
Username - wap
Password - wap
Server - <Not Set>
MMSC - http://vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12
MMS Port - 8799
MCC - 234
MNC - 15
APN Type - <Not Set>

hope this is of some help.

Anyone with a magic, red/green colourblind? I am and am wondering if you can tell the difference between the different colours of the LED? It's LED's that cause me most grief in my colourblinedness. Not that I expect this to be much of an issue when I get mine in the morning, hopefully, or Monday (please post office bring it on Saturday morning).

I installed SMS popup and it allowed me to change the colour of the LED that flashes when you get a message. mine is now purple;)

Dramatic Unboxing video?!

Also, I got this in the mail today for 3.5mm adaptation, didn't quite anticipate how ridiculous it would look!

3.5mm.jpg

As for the new rom, anyone noticed lower 3G reception?

Last edited:
Right, I'm havign issues getting it to connect to my wifi. the security code is correct and everything, I've done this for my PSP, iTouch and laptop when I got this router but the Magic does not want to connect. I'll suss it eventually.

Right, I'm havign issues getting it to connect to my wifi. the security code is correct and everything, I've done this for my PSP, iTouch and laptop when I got this router but the Magic does not want to connect. I'll suss it eventually.

Hmmm. My exuse is I was woken early, glady, and wasn't quite with it. I forgot I had enabled MAC address filtering on my router :D

Now I have wifi and gprs up and running, I shall give my initial impression of the phone.

It's <rude word> sweet.

<edit> save being accuse of being a post count whore.

Just tried shopsavvy and the first thing I scanned in was PC Pro mag. It cam up as BB gun balls :D 2nd try was a book and that worked fine.

Last edited:
ARGH must resist urge to root phone again and install customized Hero rom.

But I am dissatisfied with the look of the stock interface.

No, just look at this thread and see how complicated it is!

*Puts it off for another few hours*

Right i feel like killing my niece lol..she was playing around with my Magic last night and managed to lock me out of my phone completely:(...anyhow ive tried signing in with my gmail account but FFS it doesnt recognise my password...what i mean is i put in my details but instead of signing in...it doesnt do anything.

So im at the end of my freakin tether with this phone...does anyone know how i can get back into my phone...ive done some reading on the net and it seems like i might have to do a hard reset...stupid thing is that i havent backed any of my apps to my sd card so i guess ill be losing those.

If anyone has any ideas as to how i get back into my phone please let me know...oh and the icing on the cake??..i dropped my Magic on the ground and its now got a few deep scratches and nicks in it...:mad:

Phone great.

Issues with T-Mobile. I had my sim card in someone else's Tocco for a few weeks whilst trying to find the Magic online from a company I was happy to trust.

The Tocco was the first phone I used that had 3g so I used it at work to look at the internet and stuff. I was just looking at my bill online and it had a charge of £13.86 for 2mb of data download, i.e. the web. I just spoke to a customer services rep and they apologised but said my tariff didn't cover internet usage so they charged me for it. The first thing she did for me was add, for an extra £5 a month, web & walk (no chance, I'll hurt myself) to my tariff. For that extra £5 I get the brilliant misnomer "unlimited" internet capped at 1gb a month :D

At least I can show off my new Magic away from my wireless network and not have to eat sawdust and cow manure for the rest of my life.

Ah well, such is life.

p.s my fingers aren't half greasy but they don't feel it :D

Last edited:
Right i feel like killing my niece lol..she was playing around with my Magic last night and managed to lock me out of my phone completely:(...anyhow ive tried signing in with my gmail account but FFS it doesnt recognise my password...what i mean is i put in my details but instead of signing in...it doesnt do anything.

So im at the end of my freakin tether with this phone...does anyone know how i can get back into my phone...ive done some reading on the net and it seems like i might have to do a hard reset...stupid thing is that i havent backed any of my apps to my sd card so i guess ill be losing those.

If anyone has any ideas as to how i get back into my phone please let me know...oh and the icing on the cake??..i dropped my Magic on the ground and its now got a few deep scratches and nicks in it...:mad:

I'm not sure about how to get your apps etc without booting into the phone but I certainly feel your pain when my first Magic gained a bruise from a dramatic fall :p

Back
Top Bottom