***HTC Magic Thread***

I'm seriously considering buying the HTC Magic as opposed to the I Phone, I would be interested in the opinion of current owners on the phone? Is the battery life really a big issue?

Should I opt for the HTC Hero instead?

The deal I've been offered is:

HTC Magic on Vodafone - FREE!
Your Plan 100 + Mobile Internet (24 Months)
With 100 mins & 500 texts + Unlimited data per month
Your monthly line rental will be £25.00
Gadget Phone Support - first month FREE, cancel at any time, £2.99/month.
PhoneCare Insurance - first month FREE, cancel at any time, £7.99/month.

Thats over 24 months with £40.00 incentive cash back. I've never owned a contract phone before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If I were choosing now i would go for the hero. I doubt you will find a deal that cheap on the hero though and I have found T-mob and orange to have poor signal.

It all depends on what you want to do with your phone. If you're doing this sort of thing http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=14765702&postcount=1816 you will be happy to charge your phone every night. If not, get a phone with better battery life cus it aint great.

You could always keep a spare battery in your pocket/wallet/car - they're not thick :D

Also if you got a dock then you'd be inclined to charge it every day anyway and on top of that it acts as a USB station so you can tinker with your phone's SD card or firmware or whatever while it's charging away at the same time and looking like a sexy piece of gadgetry on your desk :p

For me when I'm home the phone stays docked, if I get a call I put it on speaker phone, the touchscreen is sensitive enough to use while docked so this is good and on top of that the dock has a headset port at the back so you can still talk while it's docked if you want privacy or something.

I keep a spare USB cable in the car as I can then charge from my car stereo or 12v socket if I run out of juice but to be honest virtually anywhere you go there will be a USB socket to charge from and charging doesn't take that long (I posted times some xx pages ago!).

Last edited:
CyanogenMod 4.0.3.x out!

Changes in v4.0.3.1
* Fixed kernel misconfiguration that broke the camera and prevented booting on some devices

Changes in v4.0.3
* More Donut guts: Bluetooth and audio updates
* Fixed swap-free-notify for compcache
* Tweaked kernel (trying out SLQB)
* Lots of small stuff recently added to AOSP
* Possible fix for the phone number parsing issue
* And of course more stuff I forgot..

Updating in a min :p

Can never have too many Donut guts!

Ok well nearly 2 weeks have gone and i still cant get into my Magic as my niece locked it out and it wont accept my gmail password...so i guess the only way to get it back is to do a hard reset...if i do that i lose all the apps i have downloaded and installed right??...i havent backed them up to the sd card so thats gonna be a pain in the arse.

Question is that once i get back into the phone...can i re-download and install the apps i had on there...will they be tied to my gmail account or phone?? or is it a case of having to remember which apps i had??.

Seriously just thinking of calling it quits with the stupid phone and ending my contract although its going to cost me £400 to do so but i just cant be bothered anymore...the novelty of the phone has worn off tbqh.

But before i do that id like to know the answer to my question above.

It's not the phone's fault your family member locked it out!

Have you tried entering recovery mode by pressing HOME + POWER and holding until it loads up (when off) ?

If you paid for apps then they will show up under your account, just redownload them and it will auth with your account, like STEAM does with games.

If you're connected to Wifi :p 3G is too slow for 50MB of rommage!

Last edited:
Can I use this to move to Cyanogen from 1.5 rooted?

No you still need the recovery image (1.4) to get into recovery mode in order to flash the rom (zip file).

The app simply checks and downloads the rom to SD card ready for you to reboot and flash in recovery mode.

So you need to have both CM updater app and the one click recovery image app posted not long ago then flash the recovery image using that app, download the rom through the app (or just download and send to sd card from USB transfer from your pc) and reboot then flash the zip file.

No you still need the recovery image (1.4) to get into recovery mode in order to flash the rom (zip file).

The app simply checks and downloads the rom to SD card ready for you to reboot and flash in recovery mode.

So you need to have both CM updater app and the one click recovery image app posted not long ago then flash the recovery image using that app, download the rom through the app (or just download and send to sd card from USB transfer from your pc) and reboot then flash the zip file.
Ah okay thanks that's a shame. I'm a bit lazy plus I find it like flashing bios - a few scary moments where I hold my breath!

Well the recovery mode exists for a reason hehe, if it fails just boot into recovery mode and flash back (you must create a nandroid backup in rec mode first LOL else you're stuffed as far as old firmware goes anyway).

Back
Top Bottom