***HTC Magic Thread***

I've not done it on mine but I have been seeing some weird USB issues with the SD card lately, like the card automounting back to the phone when I mounted it for PC connection.

It only automounts back to the phone if I run any disk tools on it like disk management or format disk/scan disk for errors etc.

It's not a sd card issue as I have scanned it via a card reader and no problems were found.

Not that I've seen natively but IIRC there are apps that can be downloaded although I've not looked into it beyond that!

I've GParted my SD card now and the SD/Storage section on the phone shows a "secondary storage" now, just going to run for the day to see how things are.

Last edited:
Right for anyone interested Ive had a play last with some encode settings.

I firstly used Cyberlink Media Espresso (cost £30 ish..) and converted an episode of Red Dwarf..

Input size was 356mb - Espresso outputted it as 369mb..!!!

Quality was very very good when on the phone I must admit but the file was just too big for me as Ive only got a 16gb card.

So using SUPER (cost £0) I set the output as .mp4 encoded with .h264 codec.
Video bitrate was set to 480kbps.

Audio output was AAC codec, bitrate 64kbps.

Outputted file size was around 110mb. Quality is visibly different from the Cyberlink encode, but is still very good and each episode took around 20mins compared to 6mins on the Cyberlink software.

I think the difference in times is the Cyberlink software maxed out all four cores on my CPU and SUPER only used around 50%.

Right for anyone interested Ive had a play last with some encode settings.

I firstly used Cyberlink Media Espresso (cost £30 ish..) and converted an episode of Red Dwarf..

Input size was 356mb - Espresso outputted it as 369mb..!!!

Quality was very very good when on the phone I must admit but the file was just too big for me as Ive only got a 16gb card.

So using SUPER (cost £0) I set the output as .mp4 encoded with .h264 codec.
Video bitrate was set to 480kbps.

Audio output was AAC codec, bitrate 64kbps.

Outputted file size was around 110mb. Quality is visibly different from the Cyberlink encode, but is still very good and each episode took around 20mins compared to 6mins on the Cyberlink software.

I think the difference in times is the Cyberlink software maxed out all four cores on my CPU and SUPER only used around 50%.
Ah excellent thanks, I wanted to try super to compare ut you've saved me some time :p

Will DL anyway as it will be handy for non quality videos :D

I actually got the file size down to around 85mb using a video bitrate of 384kbps.

But things just (I mean just) started to pixelate on some fast moving scenes which is what I then set as my base bitrate and then worked up from there to get rid of the pixelation.

It was still very watchable though.

I would wait for Donut as it should be out this month... then see how you like it ten maybe try some other ROMs.

I guess you'd also have to wait for the appropriately customised version from your provider. Tbh Donut doesn't look like making a big difference to the UI, a lot of the Donut kernel parts are already being integrated into the Cyanogen ROMs, and as soon as Donut comes out they'll move to it.
Having done it rooting and flashing my phone was easier than unbranding/unlocking almost any other phone I've ever had, flash the Cyanogen ROM and use the CM updater tool to update when new versions come out (no need to wipe between releases either).

Have to say that although Ive only owned mine for 3 days, I aint desperate for any kind of firmware update.

Battery life seems very respectable (I haven't charged it yet..!!) and the speed of the UI is great and very responsive.

I'm struggling to sync mine with my PC. Ive downloaded the HTC sync manager thingy but it just will not find my phone...any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom