HTC touch diamond

Soldato
Does anyone here seem to be having issue with loosing their data connection.

I turned off the data connections in the communications manager and now i cant seem to turn it back on, the option has been disabled.

strange as it was working perfect few hours ago.

This phone is starting to get annoying. I am on T Mobile

Associate
Hi all, I got my Touch Diamond on Friday on Orange, and I've been having nothing but problems with it so it's probably going back this week. More than half of my calls are dropping and/or the other person cannot hear me, 9/10 times I try to dial a number I get no ringing tone and then the connection drops completely and I have to restart the entire phone, and also the reception is absolutely terrible compared to my K800i on O2. I put the Orange sim in my K800i and the reception is still absolutely awful.

I suspect a lot of these problems are caused by the fact I've chosen Orange (Big mistake I'm now thinking). It seems the coverage in my area "varies heavily" (According to an Orange Customer Service guy), so I'm out of luck I guess. The problem is I absolutely love the handset, so I'm thinking of returning this one for a refund since I should still be in my cool-off period, and replacing it with the o2 variant.

I'd like to know if anyone has the XDA Ignito on o2 and what their experiences have been with it? The o2 coverage in my area is absolutely fantastic on my K800i, but I'm wondering if some of the issue I'm having are down to the handset itself. I can live with my reception being so-so (The phone at 2 bars still seems to work fine), however what I cannot deal with is complete, random loss of signal even when at (seemingly) 4 bars signal strength and having to restart just so I can hear people during calls.

Associate
Just got mine (02 XDA Ignito) this morning, pretty impressed so far.

One quick question, do you have to install the sat nav software? I've found Google Maps but thats it. :confused:

Associate

One quick question, do you have to install the sat nav software? I've found Google Maps but thats it. :confused:

It doesn't come with sat-nav software so you'll need to buy some for it if you are wanting sat-nav. Co-Pilot 7 is my sat-nav of choice.

Associate
It doesn't come with sat-nav software so you'll need to buy some for it if you are wanting sat-nav. Co-Pilot 7 is my sat-nav of choice.

Do you have any GPS lag with Co-Pilot 7, and are you using the internal GPS device?

I'm finding with TomTom, there is a significant lag in updating the gps position, for example, you move 10 meters or so before any movement on the GPS is registered, which also means that the actual display is some distance behind your actual driving position. This is using the internal GPS device mind you, but its still annoying as TomTom shows you approaching a junction that you already passed 5 seconds ago!!

Associate
Sorry if i'm missing the obvious but how do you lock this keypad? Surely just putting it in your pocket results in it dialing numbers etc?

Associate
Do you have any GPS lag with Co-Pilot 7, and are you using the internal GPS device?

I'm finding with TomTom, there is a significant lag in updating the gps position, for example, you move 10 meters or so before any movement on the GPS is registered, which also means that the actual display is some distance behind your actual driving position. This is using the internal GPS device mind you, but its still annoying as TomTom shows you approaching a junction that you already passed 5 seconds ago!!

CoPilot is fine for me mate, as was TomTom when I tried it. There are a number of threads over at XDA Developers about GPS lag though and it seems a bit hit or miss whether the handset suffers from it. Possibly updating he ROM on your phone might solve it?

PS. And yeah, i'm just using the phones internal GPS

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry if i'm missing the obvious but how do you lock this keypad? Surely just putting it in your pocket results in it dialing numbers etc?

Hold down the 'End Call' key for a few seconds and it should lock (you may need to go into Settings -> System -> Long Press End Key and make sure its set to Lock Device.)

I never use that though and always just hit the power button on the top of the phone to turn the screen off.

Associate
What sort of reception do you get with that handset on O2? As I mentioned in my post above yours - I got the Touch Diamond on Orange but the signal was horrendous, so I'm sending it back this week.

I have an O2 pay and go phone, and the reception is fantastic everywhere I go, so I'm thinking of getting the same handset on O2 since I really like the handset. However, if it still suffers from signals dropping etc, I'm going to steer clear of the handset entirely.

The dilema I'm facing is I don't know whether the signal problems I had on Orange were due to Orange, the handset, or a combination of both.

Associate
Hold down the 'End Call' key for a few seconds and it should lock (you may need to go into Settings -> System -> Long Press End Key and make sure its set to Lock Device.)

I never use that though and always just hit the power button on the top of the phone to turn the screen off.

Thanks. I guess turning the screen off is just an extra power saver, calls etc will still come in?

Associate
CoPilot is fine for me mate, as was TomTom when I tried it. There are a number of threads over at XDA Developers about GPS lag though and it seems a bit hit or miss whether the handset suffers from it. Possibly updating he ROM on your phone might solve it?

PS. And yeah, i'm just using the phones internal GPS

Hmmmm, cheers. Guess I'm one of the unlucky ones! I did update to the latest 'official' orange rom, guess I could try one of the other ones.

Associate
Im seriously considering getting this phone on my next upgrade (Jan). One thing has been bugging me is that I am on a low monthly contract £15 p/m 100 mins, 50 text, no data (never use all my free mins). My worry is, am I going to incur a lot of data charges by using this phone?

The only web browsing I do is via wi-fi in the office or home, I have had this tariff for years and dont want to change really. Do all the flashy features pull data for updating purposes?

Thanks

Associate
Been using an ignito on Vodafone for the last week, been great so far. No call dropouts and pretty good reception overall. Only real issues so far are the battery life (improved by using advanced config tool from xda devs) and slightly iffy wifi (kinda sorted by changing the slider for wifi power mode to best performance).

Overall I'm very happy with the wee beasty :)

Associate
Reception is fine although i've noticed a definate drop in quality to my old K850. Seems a lot quieter too.
Well that's good to know. If I get good O2 coverage on my K800i, I'm guessing it should be ok if I get the XDA on O2 too. The call quality seemed great on my Orange HTC Diamond, it was just the reception that was horrible. I cannot deal with dropping signal when I move around because I tend to wander around the house when I talk and I am on the move a lot when out and about.

Im seriously considering getting this phone on my next upgrade (Jan). One thing has been bugging me is that I am on a low monthly contract £15 p/m 100 mins, 50 text, no data (never use all my free mins). My worry is, am I going to incur a lot of data charges by using this phone?

The only web browsing I do is via wi-fi in the office or home, I have had this tariff for years and dont want to change really. Do all the flashy features pull data for updating purposes?

Thanks
Just the stupid HTC weather app as far as I know, when I first switched mine on it started downloading forcasts over the Internet. It can be disabled, as can links to the browser if you are worried you might accidentaly launch them. Plus, if you are connected via WiFi, the browser and other features will use that instead of your provider which is nice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there anyway to find out how much of your monthly Data allowance you have used on T mobile?

just wondering what is the latest rom available? the device came reinstalled with Rom 1.93.401.2 is that the latest? I find it to be quite responsive and don't feel the need to update it.

one major problem i am having with the device is that the voice of the person you are talking to is very very low, even on full volume, is there anyway to fix this? anyone experiencing the same problem?

when i make a call the screen turn off, is there anyway to sort this out so that it comes back on with a touch of the screen again? Its quite annoying.

Last edited:
Associate
when i make a call the screen turn off, is there anyway to sort this out so that it comes back on with a touch of the screen again? Its quite annoying.

Head over to XDA Developers and do a search for Advanced Config in the Diamond forums. That gives you access to a load of other settings, one of which stops the screen turning off mid-call.

Caporegime
Head over to XDA Developers and do a search for Advanced Config in the Diamond forums. That gives you access to a load of other settings, one of which stops the screen turning off mid-call.

That tweak doesnt actually work, i have a sim free model and ive done all the tweaks related to that part ie the screen turning off whilst on a call and it doesnt work.

Not such a big problem as i just press the power button and the screen comes back on. Reason why it turns off is so that you dont accidentally press any of the on screen buttons with your face etc and its happened to me a few times.

Caporegime
Is there anyway to find out how much of your monthly Data allowance you have used on T mobile?

just wondering what is the latest rom available? the device came reinstalled with Rom 1.93.401.2 is that the latest? I find it to be quite responsive and don't feel the need to update it.

one major problem i am having with the device is that the voice of the person you are talking to is very very low, even on full volume, is there anyway to fix this? anyone experiencing the same problem?

Regarding the tmobile part you could log onto their website and check your bill through there. They no longer send out paper bills unless you specifically ask them for one etc. Or if you dont want to log on via their website, just ring them and ask them.

The latest official rom is 1.93....as for the speaker problem??, mine seems to be fine although it can be low in noisy conditions.

Back
Top Bottom