HTC U11

Soldato
Well.. loving it so far only reservation is with the camera. Front facing camera is really not great (noticeably worse than 6p) and rear facing is no better than my 6P in low light. Will see how it fares in outdoors on the Moors tomorrow but given its amazing dxo score I was expecting better. It is damn fast though I'll give it that!

Soldato
Just had a go on a colleague's U11. Am seriously impressed boy does this thing fly. It's literally as fast as a Pixel phone. The screen is very impressive as well.

My U11 got delivered today but I won't be able to pick it up as I won't be home until tomorrow. I can't wait to have a go.

Congrats stoosh, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it now you had a play. How does the speed and screen compare to the 3T?

Soldato
the only thing I didn't like was the position of the fingerprint sensor, found it too hard to reach and kept smudging the camera lens, had it been below the camera it would have been fine

I figured that was the reason :( I'm considering the S8+ because the S8 is too narrow and the battery life isn't good enough, but I'm still drawn to the U11.

Soldato
Having spent nearly a week with mine I can confidently say I'm a happy camper.
Ended up getting the black one (which is far less green looking than some of the pictures suggest).
Design wise it's a mixed bag. Ergonomics are bang on and it feels great to use and hold however it's so rediculously slippery a case is a must and thankfully the one HTC include with it is decent enough. Do wish the back was a matte material rather than glass though.
The screen has left me pleasantly surprised as this is the first non amoled phone I've had for 5 years and frankly I do not miss anything. Everything looks clear and vibrant and there are no unnecessary distortions around the edges due to a form factor nobody asked for....

The camera left me cold initially but I've grown to appreciate it... but not blown away. Coming from my Nexus 6P I did really like Googles rather aggressive HDR+ mode and the U11 is far more dialled in which results in more "real" photos but there is definitely less detail in dark areas compared to the 6P. It is however FAR faster to use - focus and taking shots in general are blazing fast. I'd still call it a bit of a sidegrade over the 6P rather than a noticeable upgrade in terms of output though.

Sound quality and volume through headphones is as good as the reviews say. The is the first phone I've owned where I don't crank the volume up full with my mdr100's which says enough about volume levels and the included earbuds are surprisingly good. Yes it's crap they have removed the headphone jack and I really felt dirty buying a phone without one but the dongle does the job....

Battery life is decent. Better than the 6P and whatever wizardry HTC have conjured up for the game battery optimization really works. 30mins of clash royale and sw:goh uses far far less juice than my 6P.

Software and general useage experience is great. Virtually no bloat and a very very close to stock android experience means the phone flies and is buttery smooth. Occasionally chrome stutters a bit when scrolling through content heavy web pages but aside from that its great. No holding out much hope for timely software updates though but we'll see.
All in all its a great phone which values function over form. If usability is your key driver over how pretty it looks sat on your office desk then you'll likely be very satisfied with the U11.

*Edit* a few other things of note - signal strength is noticeably better and despite the same size screen as the 6P it feels considerably smaller in the hand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom