Huawei p30

Soldato
No new updates showing up, still 9.1.0 here.

EDIT: Checked the full name in settings and it's actually 9.1.0.124, guess you meant that :D

Apparently they rolled out an AR measurement tool patch in China so will be rolling out here soon, how are Huawei with updates and patch releases anyway compared to others?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well its official, the huawei camera is a bloody gimmick, and yes I got sucked in by all the hype . My p30 will be going back ASAP , camera on my sammy s7 is better and it has a better screen .

Lesson learned I reckon .

Associate
Well its official, the huawei camera is a bloody gimmick, and yes I got sucked in by all the hype . My p30 will be going back ASAP , camera on my sammy s7 is better and it has a better screen .

Lesson learned I reckon .

Yeah I got my return bag from EE today. Will be going back in the post tomorrow.

Soldato
Android Authority did a camera review and picked on the negatives that I feel are an issue which is the desaturated colours, overexposure and HDR can go overboard.

Night photography (both night mode and auto) are next to none but it can be a double edged sword. Been a few cases where I'm actually trying to get that dark moody shot and it captures too much detail and over sharpens it to make matters even worse. Had some images where it would throw some HDR in for good measure and turn a shot into a complete unnatural looking mess (alas bright and detailed). Also had a few issues where the exposure slider wouldn't actually make the image darker but simply change the colour temperature.

On the other hand I've taken some great images of the moon tonight at x50 zoom and handheld. Also when the camera works, it does work great but when it doesn't, I just don't feel fully in control.

I normally upgrade every two years and been very happy straight away, I'm just not feeling this one like I did all my previous phones. At best I can see myself keeping this a year max, until the big boys catch up with night capabilities and extra zoom.

Now that the S7 Edge is back from warranty with brand new battery and few others things, tempted to just 'slum' it out until at least Note 10 and Pixel 4 show us what they have in store.

Have until Friday to initiate the return so I'll take it for another forest hike tomorrow and see if it throws more wobblies with the colours.

Soldato
Well I'm pretty gutted as I wanted to like this phone but looks like I'm adding to the future "nearly new" pile, just going to the Post Office to send it off for a return.

If anyone fancies a barely two week old Spigen case for a P30 Pro, let me know.

Associate
I'm quite happy overall. Battery and day to day use has been great.

In regards to the camera...

I don't take loads of photos, but do like to when I'm out and about. I'm by no means anything more than your average person when it comes to photo taking skills/knowledge.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy. Can get some really nice shots out of it. However, I would agree that sometimes it can be some effort to get a nice shot. I'd say oversharpening, over exposure and not saturated enough photos are an issue.

The wide angle camera is great and can have better colours than the main camera. The zoom can be very good, even with shaky hands. I'd be interested in seeing what it can do with a tripod.

I've had just a couple of instances in forest based settings where the camera just seems to get confused and the photo is terrible, due to exposure/saturation issues.

I still don't think I've tested it enough and in various settings. However, I'm happy for now, but can see why some would have issues.

Soldato
Yeah I went back on my usual hike and exactly same problems happened in same spots, had trouble around Kielder Water as well so seems algorithm isn't up to scratch with strong sun and forest areas.

I also went to the beach this morning with the sun out in force and same issues with colour management, very muted. Wide angle on the other hand was going overboard and oversaturated. On a bright side (no pun intended) it will probably be fixed with a patch in the future but don't see the point of sticking around and paying flagship prices in the meantime.

If you like to record in 4k you will also be disappointed and not just because it can't record at 60fps.

Battery life on the other hand is fantastic as is the fast charger. Didn't have any issues with the fingerprint scanner accuracy. When the camera worked it was fantastic and versatile, night ability just looked like magic. Still can't believe I could zoom into the moon and take clear shots handheld.

If this had a screen closer to AMOLED vivid colours, I would maybe stick around for an update on the camera. With S10+ on the market (night sight update incoming) and Note 10, Pixel 4, OnePlus coming out in next 6 months I could just see myself getting rid of this anyway.

Soldato
I'm surprised at some of the comments regarding the camera

On my p20 pro admittedly different sensor I've been blown away by PQ so much so that Ive not used my gx80 or sony nex cameras since getting it a month or so ago. Ok occasionally in photo mode rather than pro mode phone gets it wrong and oversharpens/attempts hdr but most of time just fantastic :)

Soldato
Well it's not just comments, I've posted a few photos here and have quite a few more examples backed up to Google Photos I could post. I think it's just an issue with the RYYB sensor and software optimisation for it. I would get truly awful photos during harsh noon light in wooded areas for example and beach photos were poor too. Something in the sensor just didn't get the white balance right and colour reproduction was all over the place.

No doubt they will improve in the future with updates for the main camera/sensor as others were ok for most part. It just didn't feel like an upgrade when I could pull out for 3 year old S7 Edge and effortlessly take a better photo. Versatility of all the cameras was great though as was the night mode for most part.

Here is an interesting article in regard to the moon shots I liked so much. If honest I suspected the AI was doing a lot of heavy lifting and possibly superimposing a layer on top. Until AI mode recognised a moon, it would just look like a white blob and if you zoomed in into other bright object like a window at x50 result wouldn't be anywhere as good.

Associate
I am admittedly no photographer, just want to be able to quickly take pics of my kids, pets, scenery etc. So far the P30 pro has been blowing me away with the quality. I previously had an S8+ then LG V30 so it probably isn't hard to beat them.

Man of Honour
I sent mine back just didn't feel like a worthwhile upgrade over my Pixel 2 for the price, also it was an accident waiting to happen without wrapping it up in a case that gave it some grip.

Soldato
Don't think I'd bother, you gain ultra wide angle and more zoom with better night ability, however, iPhone will have a far superior video quality to the Huawei. Also I really wasn't happy with the colour reproduction on the camera and that's where other Android phones and iPhone have an advantage too.

Battery life is immense though but there's also a question of Android vs IOS and EMUI isn't the best Android experience to begin with. Didn't have many problems with it apart from some niggles but just isn't as slick as others.

Associate
OP
Ive Ben trying to send my p30 back but because I've taken the protective film of the phone they say I can't return the handset . How was I supposed to use the phone with it on it totally was wrapped around the phone Where do I stand on this guys .

Phone is on 02 from mobilesdirect

Soldato
Ive Ben trying to send my p30 back but because I've taken the protective film of the phone they say I can't return the handset . How was I supposed to use the phone with it on it totally was wrapped around the phone Where do I stand on this guys .

I don't get how your all able to return them anyway, are they broke?

Soldato

Sadly it's clear in the T&Cs :(

Please note that in order for us to accept your phone for a cancellation it must meet the following criteria:

• Must be in a resalable condition;
  • Must be In its original box and packaging which must remain undamaged;
  • The protective film must still be applied to the handset;
  • Must be returned with its original charger, leads and any other in box product it was delivered with;
  • Must be returned with any additional gift you may have received as a result of the phone contract (free cases, headphones etc.);
  • You must remove any pin lock or passcode personalisation and return the phone to factory settings.

Man of Honour

Did you not just wrap it back up before returning or had you binned the film?

Also they have a price list for damage/missing items for returns so I'm surprised they'd flat out refuse a return just for that rather than try and charge you a tenner or something to turn a blind eye.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom