Huel: The Future of Food ..

Permabanned
Huel sample has arrived, thoughts to follow:-

P1000090.jpg

P1000094.jpg

Soldato
So based partly off some positive reviews on here I ordered the £4 Huel trial pack.

Gave it a go for lunch today, mixed 100g with 500ml water. Gave it 60 seconds (so 3x the recommended 20 seconds shake) in a shaker, as I hate lumps in shakes and it still came out lumpy. So I then blended it for 30 seconds and consistency wise it was about there. Not pleasant, but doable. Flavourwise I found it probably worse than any protein shake I've tasted. Not horrible, but nothing close to pleasant.

So to try and help I did 2 things recommended to improve the flavour, I added a shot of coffee and put it in the fridge for an hour. It's a tiny bit better, but it really does taste like I'm drinking blended cardboard. I understand why it's like that, but I can't think that this will be ordering any more I don't think.

Permabanned
Have you added protein to it? If so thats quite a lot of protein...

No I just added a handful of Sainsbury's frozen Banana & Strawberry mix.

I went with 50g Huel, 80g Banana & Strawberry mix and 250ml water, in my blender it made a nice thick strawberry shake. Kept me full until lunch time!

It has a slight powdery / chalky taste but it was not bad, however I would not want it without the Strawberry & Banana mix...

To sum up I like it, if Huel make a few changes as detailed a couple of pages back I would buy the product.

Last edited:
Thug
Soldato
Sorry if it's been asked before, but is it filling?

Sad as it sounds I just don't have the time to be cooking. If this would replace meals for 6 months or so to allow me to lose a bit of weight and more importantly keep me feeling full during the day, then I'm sold!

Permabanned

Sad as it sounds I just don't have the time to be cooking. If this would replace meals for 6 months or so to allow me to lose a bit of weight and more importantly keep me feeling full during the day, then I'm sold!

It is filling, even 50g & 250ml Water @ around 200 kcal taken at 9:00am kept me going until 12:30.

I would only use Huel for breakfast or at a push 2 meals a day and a normal meal in the evening. I would never live off the stuff...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Super filling. In my experience, at least, it's more filling calorie for calorie than regular food.

And as always, blend and leave in the fridge for 4 or so hours. Thickens right up and gets nice and cold. Failing that, blend with ice. I know some ppl here are fine with shaking Huel, but I can't stomache it warm and lumpy (and i'm a massive Huel fan!)

Man of Honour
I find it the opposite - I feel more full after a meal of equivalent calories. But it does "fill" you up quickly, because it is liquid - but I found (contrary to others here) that I digest it quickly and am hungry again within a couple of hours. But I'm only eating 400 or so calories in one sitting, so not a lot. I guess if you ate it exclusively several times a day it would keep you fuller longer. However I eat around 3000 cals a day so perhaps why.

Soldato
OP
But I'm only eating 400 or so calories in one sitting, so not a lot. I guess if you ate it exclusively several times a day it would keep you fuller longer. However I eat around 3000 cals a day so perhaps why.

That maybe it. I maintain on 2500 calories and have around 620 per shake.

Man of Honour
I can't fit 600cals in one shake without a litre shaker unless I eat it with a spoon :p

When I ramp up to 4000 I'm not sure if huel will fit.

I do like it though I think it tastes nice (when blended) and I do like the macros and micronutrients.

Soldato
OP
Do you have a mini blender? :)

If I fill the nutribullet to the top with Huel and water it fills a protein shaker to the top also - super convinient.

Man of Honour
Already discussed this in thread I don't use huel at home, as I love food and cooking.

I only use it at work (I leave a bag there) on occasion when I leave early or forget to prepare lunch.

Soldato
So I finally got round to trying the Huel this weekend. I found the unflavoured and unsweetened to be a lot nicer than the vanilla. The sweetener was a bit too much for me. I find that sweetener (especially sucralose) is just too sweet. I'd rather have some banana and some chocolate milk powder, and cut down on daily sugar.

I'm going to try one more time before I commit to 14000 calories of the stuff!

Man of Honour
I agree the vanilla is a little sweet. I have a bag of unflavoured, and playing with different additions, like a shot of coffee, or fruits does make it much nicer. Though it's actually quite nice by itself really.

Back
Top Bottom