Huel: The Future of Food ..

Associate
Yeah I'm still on it, 3 scoops with water for breakfast. It gets annoying as a cold shake and I can't do more than 1 meal per day with it really but I don't want to wake my flatmate with the blender in the morning so shakeyshake it is. Also, I can only get 3 scoops into my shaker, with 4 it stays lumpy no matter how much I shake. Sad times

Man of Honour
Yeah I'm still on it, 3 scoops with water for breakfast. It gets annoying as a cold shake and I can't do more than 1 meal per day with it really but I don't want to wake my flatmate with the blender in the morning so shakeyshake it is. Also, I can only get 3 scoops into my shaker, with 4 it stays lumpy no matter how much I shake. Sad times

Blend the night before leave in the fridge? Might need a touch more water in the morning just to loosen it up.

Man of Honour
Have you done any comparison based on the macro and vitamin/mineral breakdown? I only ask as Huel is sold as a total meal replacement and I believe the others are just to supplement diet? Granted i've only looked at a few of the others briefly but they don't seem to be nearly as comprehensive nutritionally as Huel.

I've tried Huel, missus used it for a while, it's good for a quick breakfast or if you've missed a meal but I could never replace my food with it.

I have - it is on another tab. I'll get it uploaded later.

It's actually quite comparable. I think the only thing missing is the vitamins. But if you're only having 1 of these as meal replacement the rest of the macros /vitamins can easily be made up elsewhere/another time.

Good question though.

I have breakdown of p/f/c - but it is trivial to add more macros if you're interested? Just depends on whether they've written the words on their site or if it's in a picture as the latter does make it harder :p

Soldato
Some great info there Freefaller! I did notice however that the price for MyProtein Macro:Meal is actually 37.99 not 27.99. Might skew the results a bit when it comes to pricing :)

Would be great to see the macro breakdown.

Underboss
The wife pointed me to this for a meal replacement, I either miss breakfast or lunch most days and then overeat on my main evening meal.

The 1 week pack which has 28 meals in there seems decent enough value for a months worth of lunches, I need to hit around 2105calc pd and the convenience of having a shake is preferable to soup or a sandwich if and when.

Any opinions on Huel from people who have tried it as a meal replacement for a sustained period? Looking to balance it with some oats for breakfast and a main meal in the evening to start.

Soldato
I've used it a little while, it's fine in handy as we have a new born so when u don't have chance to grab something proper it's been good... I've tried using it as an ingredient like mixing it in with my porridge but that kind of takes away how it works best for me when I don't have chance for anything else.

Underboss
I have also ordered a week supply, 28 meals with do me for lunches for the month and a few breakfasts if I don't have time.

Went with the Vanilla flavour, looking forward to it.

Associate
I'm still on the two Huel shakes a day at 11:30 and 14:30, along with one maxinutrition pro gain extreme at 09:00 after the gym. Then normal meal in the evening around 18:00 then something smaller around 20:00. Have tried Optimum nutrition and bulkpowders gainer shakes but can't stomach the taste of them.

Underboss
Just having my first 3 scoops of Vanilla for lunch now.

It's pretty grainy in texture, think I will probably blend it in the mornings and then have it for lunch, giving it a brisk 30 second shake wasn't enough. I used 400ml for water for the 3 scoops, think I'd be better giving it 500ml for less thickness.

Tastes lovely though and 3/4 in I already feel pretty full, will leave the last 1.4 for an hour or so and see how I feel.

Soldato
OP
Woh, this thread's still going.

A year later and Huel still makes up around 2/3 of my total food intake. No issues with training. I cut on it and bulked. It makes cutting super easy btw. 600 calories of regular food and i'm hungry after the last bite. 600 calories of Huel and i'm good to go for hours. I also noticed when not using Huel - holidays etc - I feel slow and sluggish. It is genuinely hard to eat as well with normal food. Broccoli, sweet potatoes and chicken doesn't cut it! I have it for breakfast, lunch and regular dinner during the week, and whatever feels right on the weekends. Saving money, time, healthier, all good.

Back
Top Bottom