Hungarian Grand Prix 2015, Hungaroring - Race 10/19

Caporegime
How much longer do we have to put up with Maldonado?

For as long as Money is worth more than Talent in F1.

And with the FIA now basically banning all chances for any young drivers to make any headway into getting into an F1 seat, the current situation is likely to last a long long time.

Having Maldonado crash drive your car buys you 2 teams worth of V6 engine contracts...

smr

smr

Soldato
For as long as Money is worth more than Talent in F1.

And with the FIA now basically banning all chances for any young drivers to make any headway into getting into an F1 seat, the current situation is likely to last a long long time.

Having Maldonado crash drive your car buys you 2 teams worth of V6 engine contracts...

hw much money are the venezualan government putting into it again? isnt there a better driver with the same kind of financial backing somewhere?

From what I've heard Maldonado is a really nice guy OFF the track, so I've secretely been wanting him to iron out his on track misdemenours, but it just doesn't seem to be happening, patience is fading with him :/

Man of Honour
When you have a big money sponsor behind you, you have no motivation to improve or clean up. Other drivers have to drive their hearts out to keep the sponsors and ultimately their seat, but Maldonado can do what he likes.

Caporegime
hw much money are the venezualan government putting into it again? isnt there a better driver with the same kind of financial backing somewhere?

From what I've heard Maldonado is a really nice guy OFF the track, so I've secretely been wanting him to iron out his on track misdemenours, but it just doesn't seem to be happening, patience is fading with him :/

When he was at Williams they got $29m to put him in the car, so I imagine it would be similar to that now, if not more.

Maldonado should not even be allowed to race in F1, but he got his way out of that with a cheque from Daddy, so he deserves absolutely zero patience and should GTFO and let someone with some talent have a go.

Soldato
He's actually pretty quick when he puts in a performance. He's just too wild and totally unlikeable.

You'd think the government backing him have much bigger things to spend the money on looking at that country.

Soldato
When you have a big money sponsor behind you, you have no motivation to improve or clean up. Other drivers have to drive their hearts out to keep the sponsors and ultimately their seat, but Maldonado can do what he likes.

I think it's more the reverse. Maldonado's sponsors are so inextricably linked with the government that he feels he has to perform or risk losing his seat, so he tries too hard.

smr

smr

Soldato
Remember what he did out front for williams in spain tho. Would have been very interesting to see how he would have done had he stayed with the Grove outfit this year.

smr

smr

Soldato
Interesting comments from Mark Hughes, I'm not saying they're accurate but given who he is it's quite fun to read. Make of it what you will.

In response to a fan's comments...

"Hi Alonsofan007,

Re your comment 'unless i see it on the track, those deficit calculations to determine chassis rank by benson or hughes etc are utter non-sense.'

So aggressive! Anyway, quite happy to explain how they are derived. The teams measure each others' engine power from sonic readings. They know to within a very high degree of accuracy what horsepower they all have. They also know with a good level of accuracy exactly how much lap time around any given circuit the horsepower is worth (obviously it's worth more around Monza than Monaco, for example). So that makes it quite a simple task of maths to work out what the remaining deficit (if any) is. That tells you with a fair degree of certainty how far off the chassis is. That tends to be simplistic however - because a lack of power usually also means the car cannot run as much wing as it would be able to if it had more power, so tending to exaggerate the deficit. But using this method, the general consensus from teams in the paddock is that the Mercedes is the best chassis but that both the Red Bull and the McLaren are better than Ferrari and Williams. You mention Red Bull showing more convincingly than McLaren the quality of their car. But the Red Bull is only around 50bhp down on the Mercedes whereas the McLaren is around 130bhp down. That power difference (between Renault and Honda) is worth around 0.9s of lap time around an average length track.

Call it BS if you wish, it's simply an order of magnitude calculation.

Best wishes

Mark Hughes

Further.......

"It shouldn't matter if I follow thread or not, really. But anyway, no problem. I'm not offended.

Red Bull has proved a lot since Silverstone. You can read all about why in my Hungary GP report here:

At Hungaroring horsepower not worth as much lap time as many other tracks. Hence why Red Bull as quick as Ferrari despite having 30bhp less. At Spa and Monza expect Ferrari and Williams to both be quicker as the horsepower counts for a lot more lap time at those tracks.

The McLaren aero is developing at about the same rate as that of Mercedes - as the percentage gap since Melbourne to now remains about the same. Merc say its car is now around 0.6-0.7s faster than it was at Melbourne. McLaren say their car is about 0.7s faster. So the gap remains much the same. Since its recent updates the Red Bull is probably more like 0.75-0.8s faster than in Melbourne.

Average track 10bhp worth about 0.13s per lap.

Renault engine 50bhp less than Mercedes = 5 x 0.13 = 0.65s. So 0.65s of Red Bull's deficit of about 1s is engine. The rest the car (about 0.35s).

Honda engine 130bhp less than Mercedes (in qualifying. Further away in race trim). = 13 x 0.13s = 1.7s. So 1.7s of McLaren's deficit of about 2s is engine. The rest is car (about 0.3s)

Ferrari engine 20bhp less than Mercedes. = 2 x 0.13s = 0.26s. So 0.26s of Ferrari's deficit of about 0.8s is engine. The rest is car (about 0.54s).

Williams has Mercedes engine. Therefore all its deficit of about 0.8s is car.

Therefore order of chassis/aero: Mercedes/McLaren/Red Bull/Ferrari/Williams. Probably Toro Rosso is ahead of Ferrari on chassis too.

Hope that clarifies."

If that is accurate it would tie in with Ron's "village idiot" interview with Brundle at Silverstone about McLaren knowing the 'numbers' from the car, and where they are/deficits lay.

Soldato
Hang on...

The McLaren aero is developing at about the same rate as that of Mercedes - as the percentage gap since Melbourne to now remains about the same. Merc say its car is now around 0.6-0.7s faster than it was at Melbourne. McLaren say their car is about 0.7s faster. So the gap remains much the same. Since its recent updates the Red Bull is probably more like 0.75-0.8s faster than in Melbourne.

So the Honda PU hasn't increased in power over the year then? I doubt that very much. That would mean that actually the McLaren isn't really keeping pace with Merc in the Aero department, as given they were massivly down on power at the start of the season, you would have expected them to make the gap up if more power is being added to the PU and the aero dev kept up to date with Merc.

smr

smr

Soldato
Hang on...

So the Honda PU hasn't increased in power over the year then? I doubt that very much. That would mean that actually the McLaren isn't really keeping pace with Merc in the Aero department, as given they were massivly down on power at the start of the season, you would have expected them to make the gap up if more power is being added to the PU and the aero dev kept up to date with Merc.

I'm sure it was only two races ago that McLaren said the PU was running at the same power as it was in Australia... for reliability reasons.

Back
Top Bottom