Hungarian Grand Prix 2015, Hungaroring - Race 10/19

V F

V F

Soldato
Result is great, but in reality the same situation as Marrusia getting a point at Monaco, if enough cars have disasters even crap cars get points. Here Mclaren aren't as embarrassingly awful as Marussia and even more cars failed or ****** up. They really didn't make any significant step forward here which is apparent from their lap times, how far down they were before the safety car(on like the two guys who didn't have a problem before then) and their qualifying.

This is a stronger than usual track for them due to the layout and they qualified in 15th/16th. They made almost no step forward even at a track that should have minimised their problems. If the race hadn't have been insane they would have finished, generously, 12th at the highest, wouldn't have been surprised to see them only ahead of Sauber/Marussia.

Qualifying was a pretty fair reflection of real performance of the cars here and Mclaren haven't improved in performance. Reliability is the only place they've improved with Alonso finishing two races in a row :o

I always find it strangely amusing when you hear from Marussia that they are racers and they're here to race. Yet where are they for every race for the past 3 years? Last I recall they're always getting lapped.

The PR talk. How long can one keep that up...

smr

smr

Soldato
Mclaren haven't improved in performance. Reliability is the only place they've improved with Alonso finishing two races in a row :o

So at which point of the race did Alonso hop out the car and let you have a drive to the chequered flag? I must have missed that bit.

How on Earth can you tell, sitting on your chair/sofa/bed or other whether the car has improved or not. You've got no idea how the car felt under braking, corner rotation, lateral loads, driveability, oversteer and understeer etc. If Jenson says the car has improved I'd be inclined to believe him, considering his grounded comments after the race about taking into account the penalties etc. other drivers incurred during the race.

He also stated that "But it is definitely a step forward in terms of the performance, the car was enjoyable to drive"...

I think I'll listen to his comments, with all due respect, I've got a feeling he's somehow in a slightly better position, (given he drives the damn car) to tell us whether or not it's improving.

Permabanned
So at which point of the race did Alonso hop out the car and let you have a drive to the chequered flag? I must have missed that bit.

How on Earth can you tell, sitting on your chair/sofa/bed or other whether the car has improved or not. You've got no idea how the car felt under braking, corner rotation, lateral loads, driveability, oversteer and understeer etc. If Jenson says the car has improved I'd be inclined to believe him, considering his grounded comments after the race about taking into account the penalties etc. other drivers incurred during the race.

He also stated that "But it is definitely a step forward in terms of the performance, the car was enjoyable to drive"...

I think I'll listen to his comments, with all due respect, I've got a feeling he's somehow in a slightly better position, (given he drives the damn car) to tell us whether or not it's improving.

Alonso was 50 seconds behind the winner even with a Safety Car. Given that the CS came in with 20 laps to go that is almost 2.5 seconds per lap slower than the Ferrari.

smr

smr

Soldato
Alonso was 50 seconds behind the winner even with a Safety Car. Given that the CS came in with 20 laps to go that is almost 2.5 seconds per lap slower than the Ferrari.

To Ferrari yeah, they were miles ahead of Merc today, who expected that?

Anyway we're talking about relative performance and the midfield teams around us that were firmly in front before today.

Soldato
I think it's all even now after Monaco.

Well, by my reckoning, that puncture was a 16 point swing to Hamilton, compared to the 17 point swing to Rosberg in Monaco so roughly the same.

Of course whether it's "even" depends entirely on whether you deem that to be Rosberg's fault. If it wasn't and he was just unlucky then you could call it even, but if it was his fault then it's nothing of the sort.

Caporegime
What is going on with Mercedes starts? They really need to sort this issue.

It's all change from the next GP, anyway.

I've heard a theory that the bad Mercedes starts are down to them deciding bring forward some of the changes so they can have an advantage over the other teams when the new rules kick in. I don't think I buy it though, surely it's too big a risk.

Caporegime
if anybody had enough in hand to switch to the new system first and get ahead of the competition, it would be mercedes ....

It could just be they messed it up the last two races. But I don't find that particular theory unlikely.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Even though everyone at Mclaren has lied all season, even though they promised great performance and qualified in 15th and 16th, even though it was plainly clear they couldn't overtake anything but the embarrassing Marussia's and Saubers until other cars were mid engine failure. The most hyped up moment for Mclaren fans in the race was thinking they were passing a Toro Rosso on level terms... they weren't, they needed a safety car to get close to it and the start of a complete engine failure to pass it... big freaking whoop.

Remember in China when Button was toe to toe with Maldonado.... right at the back... after Maldonado's engine was failing also, wow, much speed, competitive only when the guys in front break down.

How can I tell they weren't faster, here's a clue, it's because.... THEY WEREN'T FASTER.

Points and position aren't a measure of speed of an individual car, they are the result of dozens of cars and their entire races, to completely ignore how Mclaren got a 5th place is beyond ridiculous. You have pretty much 10 cars all losing 30+ seconds to penalties, collisions and extra pitstops. Mclaren didn't move 30 seconds forward, everyone else dropped 30+ seconds back.

AS OldCoals said and I pointed out, of the cars that didn't have some massive issue after the safety car Alonso was 34 seconds I believe beyind Kvyat, the only other one, who was 15 seconds off Vettel. Dropping 49 seconds in around 20 laps is precisely as bad as they've been anywhere else.

That is actually an exaggeration, I couldn't find the times earlier but they are available now. He started the first lap after the SC went in 26 seconds back so only lost a further 25. He was a full 103 seconds down from the lead before the safety car though. That means he lost 128 seconds to the lead... which would only have been higher with more full racing pace laps.

Mclaren were quite clearly, provably, statistically not fast today. In Silverstone, roughly 60% of the way in(where the SC came out here) Alonso was about 101 seconds behind Mercedes, in Hungary he was 103 seconds behind Vettel at a track Mclaren were supposed to be 'much' stronger at.

Exactly where is this proof of a massive speed up?

Can Mclaren fan boys really look past punctures, ers failures, dnfs, body work damage(Perez amongst others), penalties and simply say Mclaren have actually improved a lot?

I will say this, mclaren can stick with 5th place like today if, and only if, every race features as many penalties, punctures, contacts and failures as we had today. Chances of that, we get one race this 'bad' (though brilliant in terms of entertainment) every 5-10 years. This is an absolute one off in terms of chaos up and down the grid. Mclaren didn't win 5th by beating faster cars or by improving their speed, they got handed 5th by about 10 cars all doing their best to finish outside the points.

Caporegime
It's all change from the next GP, anyway.

I've heard a theory that the bad Mercedes starts are down to them deciding bring forward some of the changes so they can have an advantage over the other teams when the new rules kick in. I don't think I buy it though, surely it's too big a risk.

I honestly can't think of the situation but I'm sure it happened before. Someone tested... something, early, for an upcoming rule change. Haha, specific I know. I vaguely remember the story, ultimately today was a disaster for a whole bunch of reasons but if it gives you a headstart on the future races then that is a risk people might take.

Remember Mercedes purposefully turned all engines down on all Merc cars to attempt to get through 6 races on a single engine which allowed them to all(except Hulk) have a huge engine advantage for the rest of the year. Teams think over seasons, fans think more over single races. Mercedes risked races and probably lost Malaysia(not entirely due to it, they also screwed the pooch tactically) over a decision to use less power at the start for an engine advantage for the other 2/3rds of the season. 6 races down on power to not waste one more 'early' engine and take a second upgraded/fixed engine.

Ferrari did much the same though the opposite way. When they decided they couldn't make it to their engine upgrade on one engine they decided not to run one engine light and pray but to turn up the power and take the next engine early. All teams think tactically.

It's simply too much of a coincidence for both drivers to get terrible starts in two races in a row after the new start rules were ratified. Hamilton got a 2015 clutch but Rosberg stayed on his good 2014 clutch, so that change isn't responsible either.

What I do wonder is, did Ferrari think the same way, get a poor start in Silverstone but see how badly Mercedes did and decide to go back to the old system to get a better start here and try to win the race here. Mercedes are thinking championship, Ferrari are thinking race wins where they can get them. It would make sense for both teams to do as they have. Mercedes want to get it right so keep working on it, Ferrari see the chance for a second win and take it by giving up on testing the new start method.

EDIT:- I see two possibilities for Spa, everyone has crappy starts, maybe except Merc... I think the theory would hold, it would suggest the lack of starting systems is a real problem and Merc would have a big head start. It could also be that Merc's starting system is set up in a way that it's going to be extremely difficult with the rule change and they felt they had to test it.

Why is Spa so far away, I can't think of much that could top this race, but 18 cars all having epically awful starts would be pretty damn good.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Had Hamilton not had a dreadful race in terms of coming off the track etc he would have won. He was faster than the Ferraris

Of all the 'ifs', that's the one that makes me chuckle the most.

'Yes, but if he hadn't gone off the track he'd have won.'

Now, read that back to yourself. And then try and defend it :p Because I would genuinely love to see some more Lewisteria out of F1 fandom this year. By which of course I mean I genuinely might laugh myself into oblivion the next time I see someone post that LEWIS CLEARLY WOULD HAVE WON IF THE CAR WAS RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE GOT OUT OF HIS WAY AND HE DIDN'T CRASH AND THE TEMPERATURE WAS RIGHT AND THE WEATHER WAS RIGHT AND HIS TEAM MATE DIDN'T SCREW HIM AND THE PIT TEAM WERE QUICK AND MARTIANS DIDN'T SWOOP IN AND DISTRACT HIM ON HIS WAY INTO THE CORNER.

Oh, and Skeeter? If that was "tiresome", I make....no apologies whatsoever :p:D

G'night! :)

Caporegime

Now, read that back to yourself. And then try and defend it :p Because I would genuinely love to see some more Lewisteria out of F1 fandom this year. By which of course I mean I genuinely might laugh myself into oblivion the next time I see someone post that LEWIS CLEARLY WOULD HAVE WON IF THE CAR WAS RIGHT AND EVERYONE ELSE GOT OUT OF HIS WAY AND HE DIDN'T CRASH AND THE TEMPERATURE WAS RIGHT AND THE WEATHER WAS RIGHT AND HIS TEAM MATE DIDN'T SCREW HIM AND THE PIT TEAM WERE QUICK AND MARTIANS DIDN'T SWOOP IN AND DISTRACT HIM ON HIS WAY INTO THE CORNER.

Calm down dear. If you had actually read what i had put in context, you would have seen that I was making the point that the Ferraris were not faster than the Mercs today as SMR stated. They were faster than Rosberg, but not Hamilton (race pace wise).

I have already said a few times in this thread that Hamilton was rubbish today. He didnt deserve to win and neither did Rosberg. It was a terrible show all round by the Merc drivers.

Lewis came off the track too much and made too many lock ups. Rosberg was simply too slow, made the wrong tyre call and misjudged coming across Riccy, thus causing the accident.

Last edited:
Soldato
Could be right that Merc were using the new procedure / rule for starts as Hamilton has had some really terrible starts lately!!

What? intentionally gimp there own starts to get experience before the crack down? as forward thinking as it sounds i wouldnt have thought Merc would be willing to gift places to other teams for a couple of races head start, besides they have the simulator for that sort of thing surely.

Clearly something up with there start procedure but i dont think its that.

To be fair, besides the rambling, your right, in F1 there are no ifs or buts, just what happens on the day.

Soldato
Of course whether it's "even" depends entirely on whether you deem that to be Rosberg's fault. If it wasn't and he was just unlucky then you could call it even, but if it was his fault then it's nothing of the sort.

Well given that Ricciardo had to lock up so badly to even make the corner (and due to this probably would have had to stop anyway), I personally think he went in miles too hot on that occasion

Merc just weren't in the race today - Hamilton (after being so pompous about such a "dominating" qualifying) shouldn't be making those kinds of mistakes

Back
Top Bottom