• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I broke it! | RTX 3090 Water block install gone wrong

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the advice, heart felt condolences and general shock and awe as to why some idiot would treat a £1700 GPU in such a manner!

Insurance isn't an option sadly. And it appears to be unfixable, I won't try my luck with ASUS, as its obvious who's to blame.

But I do now have a moral dilemma on my hands. I've been offered £400 for it on eBay, but kind of concerned that someone else might end up losing their money if they cant fix it. I know its listed as spares or repair, but still not sure if that sits right with me.

What would you do?

Associate
We used to use a company call electroversal for PCB repair. Never had a problem with them. Might be worth dropping them an email

They've been bought over by Cura Technical. Reviews aren't so good now. Sorry

Last edited:
Soldato
Whatever happens, this will be an experience in computing you won't forget. Fingers crossed you can safely flog it for cash and get something back.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had many accidents, including:

1) Pushing RAM too hard into the DDR slots, causing the motherboard to fracture
2) Sticking my fingers into a spinning GPU fan, causing one of the blades to crack off and making it rattle horrifically
3) Crunching a new CPU into a slot the wrong way round, causing around half the miniscule pins to bend. I tried bending them back, and miraculously managed to plug it back in and boot the PC, but it regularly crashed randomly.
4) Disconnecting a HDD power cable whilst the PC was on, causing the drive to immediately become unusable forever more.

Soldato
Thanks all for the advice, heart felt condolences and general shock and awe as to why some idiot would treat a £1700 GPU in such a manner!

Insurance isn't an option sadly. And it appears to be unfixable, I won't try my luck with ASUS, as its obvious who's to blame.

But I do now have a moral dilemma on my hands. I've been offered £400 for it on eBay, but kind of concerned that someone else might end up losing their money if they cant fix it. I know its listed as spares or repair, but still not sure if that sits right with me.

What would you do?

Careful on eBay, some people buy them as spares or repairs then return them for being faulty when they can't fix them.

Crazy as it seems eBay/PayPal always side with the buyer.

Happened to me before.

Anyway thanks for sharing the pictures.

Associate
House insurance all the way. I claimed a 2k+ tweeter for a floorstanding speaker after the wife decided to go near the beryllium tweeter with a hoover. Excess compared to gpu value should be minimal.

Soldato
I ordered this ASUS STRIX OC RTX 3090 in September 2020, it arrived Saturday 16th January 2021. which caught two capacitors on the board and ripped them off.

The attempt to reattach them to the board obviously didn't go well!

.....there was much white smoke.........you know exactly the smell I am talking about don't you!

yanZ8hR.jpg

Caporegime
We used to use a company call electroversal for PCB repair. Never had a problem with them. Might be worth dropping them an email

Yeah but the white smoke and burning smell, and the pictures, don't exactly give you much hope :p

He'd probably be throwing good money after bad, as they say.

It's a write off is what it is :p

Soldato

What would you do?
Make a good quality YouTube video of you destroying a "working" 3090 in an imaginative way and hope for a few million views? :D

Soldato
+1 for accidental damage on the house insurance.

If that fails you can keep it until the 3090 strix is readily available on a trillion dollar retailer and play the switcheroo. Just put the shroud on like nothing ever happened.

Poor 3090 strix though. RIP.

Soldato

Sure but it looks like OP set the PCB alight and melted some stuff - not sure that's fixable

Soldato
+1 for accidental damage on the house insurance.

If that fails you can keep it until the 3090 strix is readily available on a trillion dollar retailer and play the switcheroo. Just put the shroud on like nothing ever happened.

Poor 3090 strix though. RIP.

The switcharoo is quite common with consoles last time I was at gamestop I noticed if you trade in your console now they take down copies of your drivers license and then they send the console to be tested at their repair centre - if anything is broken, they fix it and send you a bill for it

Soldato
House insurance all the way. I claimed a 2k+ tweeter for a floorstanding speaker after the wife decided to go near the beryllium tweeter with a hoover. Excess compared to gpu value should be minimal.

Let me guess Focal speakers. That's why they put grills on them now even the studio monitors. Sadly had some Focal twin 6 BE monitors developed a fault a few days in and the RMA process distroyed them more and then I decided I wanted a refund as Focal warranty and RMA process was a nightmare and went with Adams with a longer warranty and better RMA process.

To the OP I would try get ASUS to repair it and put it back together and let them deal with it if they can. The problem from that picture is the board now, as it is a multi layered PCB and digging up the layers to fix it will be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Associate
Let me guess Focal speakers. That's hy they put grills on them now even the studio monitors. Sadly had some Focal twin 6 BE monitors developed a fault a few days in and the RMA process distroyed them more and then I decided I wanted a refund as Focal warranty and RMA process was a nightmare and went with Adams with a longer warranty and RMA process.

To the OP I would try get ASUS to repair it and put it back together and let them deal with it if they can. The problem from that picture is the board now as it is a multi layered PCB and digging up the layers to fix it will be a nightmare.

B&W Diamonds! Stay calm, keep cool, phone Admiral... :D They forked out for a complete new driver, I thought they'd just replace the diaphragm!

Soldato
The switcharoo is quite common with consoles last time I was at gamestop I noticed if you trade in your console now they take down copies of your drivers license and then they send the console to be tested at their repair centre - if anything is broken, they fix it and send you a bill for it

There's one etailer where that almost certainly does not happen. Just one.

Back
Top Bottom