I have been suspended from work today.

Associate
Record the meeting for your record if nothing else. I wouldn't bother asking for permission.

If it gets to an Employment Tribunal and they have done something wrong (eg procedure not followed, said something that they later deny, etc) that you can demonstrate with the recording, the ET *will* consider it, even though you didn't declare that the meeting was being recorded at the time.

Soldato
They haven't given the OP much info on what's going on.

Even if it's not him under investigation, they should state that so he doesn't worry unnecessarily.

Keep us posted and we hope it's nothing serious for you.

Soldato
I have worked for a supermarket chain for 20 years.

I have never been suspended and never had a warning.

You must have done something wrong to be suspended.

Oh indeed I did.

first time was for swearing at another colleague who was rude to me, they cried to the store manager. Final written for that.

The second was for the old classic social media rant (not my rant but I foolishly commented my opinion) One of my good colleagues decided to screenshot it and kindly print a copy for HR, while remaining anonymous.

Also suspended for grazing as a large stash of drinks and food was discovered in the warehouse but without any actual proof, nothing happened with that one (nor am I saying I had any involvement anyway, quite a few of us were suspended on suspicion)

The first two were entirely my own hot headed stupidity in my younger days! I'm sure glad I don't work in a supermarket anymore!

Back to op's issue, if he wasn't the one being directly investigated, I doubt he'd have been suspended, I have been used as a witness before for an incident and all that happened was I was asked to give a written statement. Certainly not suspended.

Last edited:
Soldato
It could be an incident entirely unrelated to you, which seems it is, and your employer may just want everyone out of the way who may have direct or indirect contact with whatever happened to ensure their investigations are undertaken without an outside or inside bias.

I wouldn't be too worried if it was me, if you are worried then take someone with you to the hearing and ask if they can be present during, as others have said already.

This.

Follow all the other good advice re having a rep with you and recording the meeting/s.

Caporegime
The first few words of the letter read a little oddly to me.

They say that "As a result of the incident on 03.07.2016.... " which implies to me that the person who wrote the letter is assuming that the OP was aware of this particular 'incident', which he says he wasn't, and which apparently occurred while he was not even at work anyway!

It does all sound rather strange, and I do hope that this story will have a happy ending!

Hey the op might have switched all the freezers off at the end of his shift on Saturday so the incident is the next day when they discover it.

Caporegime
That's word for word the standard McDonalds HR letter. That and Duty Manager and People Manager are both positions in stores.

And also I've got two filed away at my desk :)

an interesting so OP works for Maccy D's

(or somehow his supermarket is using the same cookie cutter letter)

Back
Top Bottom