I want an addictive game for my S8

Soldato
OP
If you like space themed games have a look at:

- AstroNest (can be complicated to start with but you'll understand it soon enough)
- Galaxy On Fire 2 and 3 (GOF2 was better than GOF3).
May look at Astronest! Seems complex like you say but not in a bad way if it can be understood in time

Associate
May look at Astronest! Seems complex like you say but not in a bad way if it can be understood in time

It's quite addictive! It is one of those grind kinda games but it's interesting in the process, lots of strategy and balancing. You don't have to pay at all to play and progress, but you will ;). I've only spent £20 (better value than some PC games I've bought in the past, but do look out for the limited-run offers) and I've progressed to LV68. Not sure how long this has taken me so far though!

The things you organise/manage:
- Your fleets; made up of Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships or Motherships. Each has their merits - resistance to a given weapon, evasion, energy usage, production costs, fleet size.
- Weapons; Beam, Missile, Fighter or Cannon. You have to balance them with their attack, accuracy, range and rate. For example Fighters are deadly but have a really poor range and could get destroyed before they even reach their target.
- Heroes; This is your team who manage your fleets or planets. They have natural skills and abilities which you improve as you progress (or sack them and get better ones).
- Planets; this is where you get your resources such as energy, gold, minerals, cosments and research. Each planet type is better at one particular thing apart from Paradise planets.

Then there's the actual battles:
- Region War for Cosments; this is 1-on-1 with other players' fleets for control of Cosments. Cosments are the true currency of Astronest.
- Campaign; NPC warfare with given rewards upon successful battles.
- Pursuit; NPC warfare again, but you progress with ever increasing difficulty until you are eventually defeated.
- Raid; once in a while you'll encounter aliens or get a request to help fellow players out when they discover them. Very worthwhile as they drop alien technology.
- Astro-League; available once at LV50, you attack other players' defence formations.

I haven't mentioned the Trons, Exeters, enhancement management or the Hyper Lab...

Soldato
OP
It's quite addictive! It is one of those grind kinda games but it's interesting in the process, lots of strategy and balancing. You don't have to pay at all to play and progress, but you will ;). I've only spent £20 (better value than some PC games I've bought in the past, but do look out for the limited-run offers) and I've progressed to LV68. Not sure how long this has taken me so far though!

The things you organise/manage:
- Your fleets; made up of Destroyers, Cruisers, Battleships or Motherships. Each has their merits - resistance to a given weapon, evasion, energy usage, production costs, fleet size.
- Weapons; Beam, Missile, Fighter or Cannon. You have to balance them with their attack, accuracy, range and rate. For example Fighters are deadly but have a really poor range and could get destroyed before they even reach their target.
- Heroes; This is your team who manage your fleets or planets. They have natural skills and abilities which you improve as you progress (or sack them and get better ones).
- Planets; this is where you get your resources such as energy, gold, minerals, cosments and research. Each planet type is better at one particular thing apart from Paradise planets.

Then there's the actual battles:
- Region War for Cosments; this is 1-on-1 with other players' fleets for control of Cosments. Cosments are the true currency of Astronest.
- Campaign; NPC warfare with given rewards upon successful battles.
- Pursuit; NPC warfare again, but you progress with ever increasing difficulty until you are eventually defeated.
- Raid; once in a while you'll encounter aliens or get a request to help fellow players out when they discover them. Very worthwhile as they drop alien technology.
- Astro-League; available once at LV50, you attack other players' defence formations.

I haven't mentioned the Trons, Exeters, enhancement management or the Hyper Lab...

It does seem really deep! I'm level 13 now and just working on the campaign stuff to get to grips at the moment. So is the idea once the campaign gets too hard, replay old missions to grind out so xp/resources until you can comfortably proceed?

Did contribute to the war not really sure what I got out of that, and I seem to be defeated while I'm away by other players :D how do I up my defence for that stuff?

Associate
Glad you've got it and are well on the way to 'getting it' :).

It does seem really deep! I'm level 13 now and just working on the campaign stuff to get to grips at the moment. So is the idea once the campaign gets too hard, replay old missions to grind out so xp/resources until you can comfortably proceed?

Exactly. The campaign mode is a good measure of your offence and defence. Progress far in these campaign episodes and you'll be good in the war. Campaign is the place to stock up on Trons which really enhance your fleet but you need to properly match them. I always look for the 'Lead' attribute which is really your fleet size but make it too big and you'll run out of energy before you know it! One tip I'll give you is that the 'Gov' attribute is useless in any hero that isn't 'governing' a planet, it does nothing for fleet hero! The campaign mode is also where you're most likely to have an alien encounter too. Another good measure of your fleet is how far you progress in the Pursuit mode.

Did contribute to the war not really sure what I got out of that, and I seem to be defeated while I'm away by other players :D how do I up my defence for that stuff?

The war is quite important as it's a battle for control of the three Cosment regions. When your alliance wins you receive a constant supply of Cosments, how much depends on your planet's Cosment processing facility and the stats of your planet's governor. Like I said before, Cosments are the true currency as you need this to upgrade ships, weapons and devices. You also need a tonne of it to colonise a new planet (which you've done already being on level 13 :) ). The higher your war ranking the more honour points you get too, which are exchanged for honour supplies and these can be some nice rare goodies :).

Yes, you do get attacked while away - this is part of the war - the system matched you with another player of the opposite side. You could adopt a defensive formation, build up Res (resistance) and EVA (evasion), but to be honest at the early stages I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you have enough gold and minerals to cover the cost of lost battles. When you've only got a few minutes spare dump your spare AP on enhancements in the Research section; improve your weapons, buildings and fleets, this goes a long way.

The questions is, friend or foe? Which side did you chose at the beginning? :)

Soldato
OP
Wow great post Thanks! It seems addictive, wasn't the sort of game I was after but I'm checking it every few hours so it's done the job ;) I think the tutorial at the start did a fair job it's just once you are set free from that it's hard to tell what to prioritise etc.

Glad you mentioned the enhancements, been doing that when I haven't much time to actually invest so glad I'm doing something right :D

The federation of Terra... do I hide now?

I have one planet at the moment, only one type of ship too but have 4 in my fleet which I'm thinking could be too big not too sure. When I try the campaign (3rd act, mission 2) the bar is strongly against me at the moment

Associate
The federation of Terra... do I hide now?

Welcome to the Federation! :)

You should be able to colonise your 2nd planet by now seeing as you're on level 13; you get the ability of an additional planet very 10 levels until a maximum of 10 planets. If you don't have a 'planet discovery item' spare send out some of your heroes to find a planet using the 'Recon Force', your heroes will gain xp and return with other items too.

Soldato
OP
Welcome to the Federation! :)

You should be able to colonise your 2nd planet by now seeing as you're on level 13; you get the ability of an additional planet very 10 levels until a maximum of 10 planets. If you don't have a 'planet discovery item' spare send out some of your heroes to find a planet using the 'Recon Force', your heroes will gain xp and return with other items too.

Looks like I can't do any of that until level 20 so will be sure to check back to do that then!

Do you try to keep your buildings levels on par with your overall level?

Associate
Looks like I can't do any of that until level 20 so will be sure to check back to do that then!

Do you try to keep your buildings levels on par with your overall level?

Yes, now that I think about it you are right, it works like this:

LV - No. Planets
10 - 1
20 - 2
30 - 3
40 - 4
50 - 5
60 - 6
70 - 7
80 - 8
90 - 9
100 - 10

I'm on the verge of LV70 and I really need that 7th planet! I've an energy crisis which means I don't have enough power to sustain my fleets.

Regarding buildings I tend to enhance them when the need arises. For example due to the above energy crisis I have maxed the Energy as far as my Research will allow. So then I up my Research as far as reasonable (gets expensive in APs) to unlock better ships, weapons etc). The others get increased when fleet repairs gets expensive in gold, minerals and AP. It's a fine balance and there's no right answer (at least that's what I think!). Currently I'm maxing out the Construction (planetary architecture) for the impending arrival of the 7th planet as this keeps the cost to colonise down.

Also wondering if I should upgrade to destroyer 2, or unlock the cruiser 1?

I'd unlock the Cruiser 1 but only so you can unlock the Battleship 1 sooner :). The Battleship lasts longer (DUR) and packs a bigger punch than the Destroyer and Cruiser by a long shot, but a Battleship fleet will cost you more in energy to keep running and has poor evasion, but these effects can be mitigated by other means.

Soldato
OP

LV - No. Planets
10 - 1
20 - 2
30 - 3
40 - 4
50 - 5
60 - 6
70 - 7
80 - 8
90 - 9
100 - 10

I'm on the verge of LV70 and I really need that 7th planet! I've an energy crisis which means I don't have enough power to sustain my fleets.

Regarding buildings I tend to enhance them when the need arises. For example due to the above energy crisis I have maxed the Energy as far as my Research will allow. So then I up my Research as far as reasonable (gets expensive in APs) to unlock better ships, weapons etc). The others get increased when fleet repairs gets expensive in gold, minerals and AP. It's a fine balance and there's no right answer (at least that's what I think!). Currently I'm maxing out the Construction (planetary architecture) for the impending arrival of the 7th planet as this keeps the cost to colonise down.

I'd unlock the Cruiser 1 but only so you can unlock the Battleship 1 sooner :). The Battleship lasts longer (DUR) and packs a bigger punch than the Destroyer and Cruiser by a long shot, but a Battleship fleet will cost you more in energy to keep running and has poor evasion, but these effects can be mitigated by other means.

LV - No. Planets
10 - 1
20 - 2
30 - 3
40 - 4
50 - 5
60 - 6
70 - 7
80 - 8
90 - 9
100 - 10

Thanks, I did indeed go with the cruiser in the end! A much smaller fleet though I guess they demand even more resources to maintain the fleet that the first ship?

Also when should I use the cards to get better hero's? Scared lol. Currently have one A and 2 B in the fleet

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, I did indeed go with the cruiser in the end! A much smaller fleet though I guess they demand even more resources to maintain the fleet that the first ship?

Also when should I use the cards to get better hero's? Scared lol. Currently have one A and 2 B in the fleet

Good choice, but move up to a Battleship whenever you can then move on from there. As for hero items, use them whenever as they are ten a penny! The daily mission usually requires you to use one or two so they come in handy for that. Never have an empty hero slot because even if you don't use them you can transfer their xp to another hero once you've had them for a week.

Permabanned
Fallout Shelter
X-Com 2 Enemy Within
Vainglory
Cosmonautica (Unstable but good)
Fire Emblem Heroes
HIT
Skyforce Reloaded
Hungry Shark World
Godfire: Rise of Prometheus
Never Alone (This one might annoy you)

Soldato
Kantai collection lol

Wont be your cup of tea though as its in Japanese so you need to learn the UI quite well lol. It is browser based as well as the android app and the browser side can be used with a plug in for english quest translation.

It is a massivr time sink and practically a second job. Its taken me 2 years to finally br able to do the quarterly events on hard mode and collect and level most of the shipgirls i want.

Anyway wont really appeal to you as im sure only Ironwarrior and myself play it from ocuk lol

Back
Top Bottom