• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
so you dont have any overclock on it now ?

just testing mine at 1.30v at 4.5ghz

Not at the moment.

I'm still recovering from the culture shock (ha ha) of installing Windows 10 onto my new Sm951 NVMe drive. Going by the number of red flags in the Windows event viewer (none seem to be show stoppers though) I think the new OS needs a bit more bedding in time (IE. time to mature). Windows 10 seems fine. I think most of the red flags seem to be linked to services for things that I'm not currently using (so not quite sure why they are set to auto start). Boldly going etc. etc. TBC

Soldato
Yes.. my board is currently set fully on optimal settings. Except for XMP on the memory, custom cpu fan profile/s and set it to UEFI only (as combined UEFI/Legacy support doesn't seem to work properly ... yet).

Had a play with both the Motherboard auto OC (works pretty well on the MSI boards) and a bit of messing around manually to see what it can do. But for now I'm leaving it on auto. Going to wait for the BIOS to mature a bit more before OCing it seriously.

So you installed win 10 in UEFI mode then, seeing as your useing UEFI only in bios.

Soldato
So you installed win 10 in UEFI mode then, seeing as your useing UEFI only in bios.

Yes.

Was a bit confused at the time (old age).
Panicked at one point when I could not get the system to boot from either USB, or DVD. Hence my comment about combined UEFI/Legacy mode not seeming to work properly. Could not seem to change the boot order at all. Would only boot from the UEFI boot partition on my SM951 and putting anything other in front of this caused the BIOS to lock on boot. Put it into UEFI only mode and things seemed OK (IE. I could then change the boot order ... wanted to test that Acronis True Image 2016 recovery DVD worked OK).

But think in the end, UEFI was the way to go.

Seems fine at the moment.

Soldato
Did you have to do anything special to install in uefi mode from disc or usb stick ? i know if installing win 7 you have to make a boot uefi image got a feeling win 10 you dont need to, just have to chouse boot device with uefi in front of it.

Soldato
i dont understand what this uefi is ? i just installed windows 10 from usb stick without doing anything, installed same as i have always done even with boards with no uefi

Soldato
Did you have to do anything special to install in uefi mode from disc or usb stick ? i know if installing win 7 you have to make a boot uefi image got a feeling win 10 you dont need to, just have to chouse boot device with uefi in front of it.

Didn't do anything special. It looked to do it as default. Hence why I was a bit surprised when I realized what it had done.

Though on looking a bit closer. Most articles on UEFI say I should have 4 partitions created. And I only have three (recovery, EFI boot and system data). A little confused now! Have to dig a bit deeper.

Soldato
To tell if you installed in uefi mode, type msinfo32 in search windows box, then press enter, and what does bios mode say, mine says legacy, should say uefi if installed correctly.

Soldato
To tell if you installed in uefi mode, type msinfo32 in search windows box, then press enter, and what does bios mode say, mine says legacy, should say uefi if installed correctly.

mine says uefi , and i had no idea, it just installed windows , without me doing much

Soldato
mine says uefi , and i had no idea, it just installed windows , without me doing much

Same as me then.

As it was a new drive I was installing to, I just clicked next when I got to the section on allocating partitions etc. So I'm assuming the default is UEFI if supported.

Question... how many partitions do you see on your boot disk?
(IE. right click THIS PC and select manage and go down to disk management)

Soldato
Same as me then.

As it was a new drive I was installing to, I just clicked next when I got to the section on allocating partitions etc. So I'm assuming the default is UEFI if supported.

Question... how many partitions do you see on your boot disk?
(IE. right click THIS PC and select manage and go down to disk management)

i see 3 on OS drive ,

C: boot
EFI System Partition
Recovery Partition

Soldato
i see 3 on OS drive ,

C: boot
EFI System Partition
Recovery Partition

Same as me. So I'll assume all is OK then.

Thanks for looking:)

PS. Found this explanation for the MSR:

It's a placeholder invented by Microsoft. It doesn't contain any meaningful data and it's there just in case you'd ever need to create some additional partition for special uses. In that case, Windows will shrink the Reserved partition and create a new one in the recovered place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Right... you can't actually see this MSR partition via Windows Disk Management. You need to use a command prompt.

Start elevated command line prompt (IE.CMD)
Type:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK n
LIST PARTITION
EXIT

Then you can see it. Panic finally over. I'm off for a whiskey now :)

Soldato

all i see that its a better interface can use mouse to navigate, dont understand about the windows installing, i found no difference

Better security by helping to protect the pre-start-up – or pre-boot – process against bootkit attacks.

Faster start-up times and resuming from hibernation. to tell you the truth my old AMD motherboard booted up faster, and yes i have fast boot on

Support for drives larger than 2.2 terabytes (TB).

Support for modern, 64-bit firmware device drivers that the system can use to address more than 17.2 billion gigabytes (GB) of memory during start-up.

Capability to use BIOS with UEFI hardware.

Soldato
well i got my issues sorted , running at 4.6ghz , 1.35v maybe can get this lower , and idles to 0.768v, im ready for the 980ti which should arrive tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom