• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
Shame they dont do a free version of it ;)

Indeed.

Just had to fork out $9 for the latest release of Parted Magic myself, to get something that would boot in UEFI to allow me to Secure Erase (should I need to) my SSD's. As neither the latest release of Samsung Magician, or their bootable utility works for Windows 10 / UEFI. Luckily the latest release of Parted Magic does. Though it doesn't unluckily see my Samsung SM951 drive.

Soldato
Indeed.

Just had to fork out $9 for the latest release of Parted Magic myself, to get something that would boot in UEFI to allow me to Secure Erase (should I need to) my SSD's. As neither the latest release of Samsung Magician, or their bootable utility works for Windows 10 / UEFI. Luckily the latest release of Parted Magic does. Though it doesn't unluckily see my Samsung SM951 drive.

in my bios i have secure erase option for ssds, which is handy

Soldato
I got a samsung evo 250 ssd that my windows is on, but when i formatted it for windows install, i obviously lost the software that came with it, do i really need any software like Samsung Magician ?

Yeh i used secure erase in hero bios before installing windows on it, is that the same as formatting a hard drive ?

Soldato
I got a samsung evo 250 ssd that my windows is on, but when i formatted it for windows install, i obviously lost the software that came with it, do i really need any software like Samsung Magician ?

Yeh i used secure erase in hero bios before installing windows on it, is that the same as formatting a hard drive ?

No you don't really need Magician (easy to re-download if you want it though). Handy though to check the SMART data, for any firmware updates and if you want to set say over-provisioning.

Secure Erase effectively sets the SSD back to "out of the box state". Not really the same as formatting a drive and SSD's should only ever really be quick formatted, as a full format will eat into the NAND read/erase cycles. Much better to Secure Erase an SSD if you can. Especially if you've been using it for a while and say, want to re-install the OS.

Quote:
Wiping data off of an SSD is a little different than erasing data from a HDD thanks to the wear-leveling algorithms used to write data evenly to an SSD. To securely erase all the data on an SSD, you use a command—called Secure Erase, appropriately enough—that's built into the firmware of all modern SATA drives and older PATA/IDE drives.

Soldato

best to secure erase ssd when reinstalling windows, it clears the cells / factory fresh like. and with the board we got the secure erase is in the bios

Soldato
That is handy. Didn't know that some motherboard manufacturers had started to do this.

Other wise you need a unity like Parted Magic to do it.

Surely samsung own software magician should be able to do that i would have thought, cant it be done in command promt, i had to use command promt before installing windows 7 to format in gpt, as you need that for uefi windows install.

Soldato
Surely samsung own software magician should be able to do that i would have thought, cant it be done in command promt, i had to use command promt before installing windows 7 to format in gpt, as you need that for uefi windows install.

Magician itself cant do it for Windows 8 or above. You need to get it to create a bootable DVD / USB. Which I tried and neither will boot in UEFI mode. Hence why I coughed up $9 to purchase the latest copy of Parted Magic.

Luckily when installing Windows 10 in UEFI mode, the Windows installer now does it all for you. So no faffing about having to pre-format in GPT.

PS. Parted Magic now also has a number of other tools on it. Which could come in handy at times.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good to know windows 10 installs in UEFI mode on its own, was a nightmare with windows 7, had to you rufus to make windows uefi bootable, did you install win 10 by usb stick or disc ? im about to do the free upgrade to 10, then will clean install once activated ok.

Soldato
..., did you install win 10 by usb stick or disc ? im about to do the free upgrade to 10, then will clean install once activated ok.

Could not be faffed with installing Windows 7 and then getting the ISO etc. (lazy I know). But was also still unsure as to whether my Retail copy of Windows 7 would translate to a retail copy of Windows 10 (which I want). So much conflicting info. (even from Microsoft themselves) and everyone claiming their opinion was right (even quoting Microsoft to back up the argument both ways).

So.... as Windows 10 retail USB3 is only £6 dearer than OEM DVD. Crazy or what ... who would buy the OEM DVD over retail at that!. So I decided to buy Windows 10 retail on USB3. Cost me £86. When you think what previous mark up retail copies of Windows has been, I thought that was a bargain. Plus I have a nice little plastic credit card with a full Windows 10 retail key on it. Know where I am doing it this way.

Certainly quick installing from USB3 to my new Samsung SM951 NVMe drive.

Soldato
So at default on these 6700K cpu's, am i right in saying that if i am just sitting at desktop the cpu runs at only 4ghz, but if i like game or encode etc it goes to 4.2ghz turbo mode ? sorry for these noob questions.

Soldato
So at default on these 6700K cpu's, am i right in saying that if i am just sitting at desktop the cpu runs at only 4ghz, but if i like game or encode etc it goes to 4.2ghz turbo mode ? sorry for these noob questions.

if you dont have intel speedstep enabled in bios it will run idle 4ghz, or if you got high performance on in windows power management setting

if you have intel speedstep enabled it will go down to 800mhz idle , saving power and less heat,

and also windows power management on balanced , mine boosts to 4.6ghz with the overclock, with stock will go to 4.2ghz

Soldato
Ah i see, so when is boost actually used on the cpu ?

When it's needed.
Ie. When something that requires the extra performance runs.

Whether it will boost to what ever the turbo value is set at (especially if you have it overclocked) and hold that boost, if also effected by other things.
Eg. Potential thermal throttling. And there are also settings in the BIOS for things like long\short term power duration etc. That can effect this.

So just because you change it to boost to say 4.6 doesn't necessarily mean it will boost to this figure and hold it forever. It's quite common to see people testing with say prime95 and then posting and asking why the CPU throttles back the multiplier even when the load is high.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom