• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
So your overclock is 4ghz that boosts to 4.6 ? did you use a guide, or done overclocking before.

is from idle 800mhz to 4600mhz when stressed, if you read through this thread you can find out what others are getting and voltage used so can get an idea, and then stress test with tools to see if stable,

i think for 4.5ghz 1.3v , think all 6700k can do this

Thanks

Soldato
Just be a wee bit careful with Prime95 and IBT on these chips if you are testing in stock, or with adaptive/dynamic voltage control. As they can cause some pretty high voltage spikes (or at least that's what found). And I personally would not recommend OCT (at least the CPU intensive tests) myself, for the same reason.

Things like Wprime, Handbrake and basically just using your PC as normal, are probably better options. Though everyone has their own opinion on this of course. Up to the individual really.

PS. Maybe I should add a comment that tools like Prime95 / IBT wont cause your CPU to melt. If you want to use them, then fine. Skylake chips certainly seem to run a fair bit cooler than Haswell did. It's just that in my testing with my I7-6700K I found that these sorts of stress test tools (at least in adaptive/dynamic Vcore) caused sizable voltage spikes (IE. even at stock I was seeing 1.4v + at times). Now this isn't going to blow the chip up, but for prolonged testing... maybe not a good idea. Anandtech article on Skylake chips seemed to find the same sort of behavior as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers for that, if i want to just overclock to 4.5, is it just changing one thing in bios, and thats 45 x 100 and nothing else ?

Change multiplier to 45 (as you say) and set a fixed Vcore to say 1.3v and see how it goes. Should run hopefully at 4.5 ... if not increase slightly till stable. Or more likely if it runs OK at 1.3v ... try reducing the Vcore until it fails while testing, then increase it slightly until it's fine. Just don't leave the Vcore on adaptive/dynamic, as you will probably find it pulls some serious voltage under heavy testing!!!

Lots more to fiddle with if you want to. Have a GOOGLE for skylake overclocking guide, there should be a few about now.

Have fun :)

Soldato
Change multiplier to 45 (as you say) and set a fixed Vcore to say 1.3v and see how it goes. Should run hopefully at 4.5 ... if not increase slightly till stable. Or more likely if it runs OK at 1.3v ... try reducing the Vcore until it fails while testing, then increase it slightly until it's fine. Just don't leave the Vcore on adaptive/dynamic, as you will probably find it pulls some serious voltage under heavy testing!!!

Lots more to fiddle with if you want to. Have a GOOGLE for skylake overclocking guide, there should be a few about now.

Have fun :)

i have adaptive on, as i have my pc for long periods left on idle so like voltage to reduce when idle , drops down to 0.764v ,, on load it goes to 1.35v at 4.6ghz, im sure i can lower that or even increase overclock, but i just left it and seems fine and not enough time to keep playing ,

Soldato
i have adaptive on, as i have my pc for long periods left on idle so like voltage to reduce when idle , drops down to 0.764v ,, on load it goes to 1.35v at 4.6ghz, im sure i can lower that or even increase overclock, but i just left it and seems fine and not enough time to keep playing ,

Fair enough in day to day use. I can appreciate what you are saying.

But if you were to try something "really" heavy, I think you would find that it pulls a fair bit more than 1.35v . Also when you say "on load" what exactly are you talking about? As obviously different apps / programs will demand different voltages.

Soldato
Fair enough in day to day use. I can appreciate what you are saying.

But if you were to try something "really" heavy, I think you would find that it pulls a fair bit more than 1.35v . Also when you say "on load" what exactly are you talking about? As obviously different apps / programs will demand different voltages.

i ran aida64extreme530 for around 1 hour , which stresses cpu 100%, cpu voltage is between 1.344v and 1.354v

i play games mostly which dont seem to stress as much and get lower temps , and generally zipping up and extracting with winrar

Soldato
i ran aida64extreme530 for around 1 hour , which stresses cpu 100%, cpu voltage is between 1.344v and 1.354v

i play games mostly which dont seem to stress as much and get lower temps , and generally zipping up and extracting with winrar

Fair do.

aida64extreme530 is a nice little program :)

Back
Top Bottom