• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

I think i read somewhere, there is a setting to make your cpu run at boost all the time ? to be sure your getting maximum out of your cpu all the time.

It's to be assumed that the majority of 'k' CPU owners are overclocking well past the turbo boost mode of the CPU.

For example on this forum, aptly named 'overclockers.co.uk' 99% of 'k' owners are overclocking their CPU, making the standard turbo of 4.2Ghz pointless.

:), course your right, but if i overclock to 4.5 or 4.6 boost, i would still want to make sure i am useing that it my games, is there a setting to force max overclock speed all the time, cheers

:), course your right, but if i overclock to 4.5 or 4.6 boost, i would still want to make sure i am useing that it my games, is there a setting to force max overclock speed all the time, cheers

yes go into windows power settings / settings -power and sleep and select high performance, if you leave pc on idle regularly i wouldn't suggest it just wasting power and also more heat/ more noise

i have mine clocked to 4.6ghz, when in idle drops to 800mhz / 0.756v , when do something it goes to 4.6ghz ,

so only uses that speed when needed

The CPU would boost to whatever the program (IE. game etc.) required. That's the whole idea of turbo boost really. So simpler games would not need to run at 4.2/4.6 (or whatever), while more emanding games etc. would boost to the max.

Though as I said before. There are other things that can effect whether the boost value can be held. Some physical attributes (like temperate, voltage etc.) and numerous settings in the BIOS can effect this as well.

All good fun.

I think i am going to have a play with this overclocking tomorrow, i have not even turned on my new pc this weekend, needed a break with all the problems i was having with the new build, cheers for all the info thou guys.

ATTENTION ANYONE RUNNING THE MSI Z170A gaming M7

MSi released a new BIOS (1.6) on the 3/9/2015

Changes are:

- Improved NVME device compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Updated GOP driver and VBIOS.
- Updated Microcode.
- Patched PS2 Keyboard sometimes can not work normally.

So if anyone is having any issues and suspects it might be memory related, Then I would give this BIOS a try.

The one thing that I'm over the moon about is, that one of the things that they appear to have addressed (Updated Microcode) is a number of tweaks to the CPU voltage handling by the look of it.

Must admit that while I like this board and the BIOS set up, I have been a bit disappointed with the stability of the voltage control. Stock voltage for me in the BIOS was a slightly heady 1.288v! Leading to some serious voltage draw (and even worse spikes) when running the heavier stress test (and even some "normal" programs surprised me a bit). Even Anandtech commented on this when testing the board. Prime95 / IBT would pull at stock an average of 1.36v! and I saw spikes of 1.4v+ Again this is what Anandtech seemed to see.

After updating to BIOS version 1.6.... my stock Vcore in the BIOS is a much more sensible 1.224v And running Prime95 now it pulls a rock solid 1.28v with no voltage spikes. This has dropped my core temps in IBT (10 runs on high) for low 70's to around 60C. So it's cut some 10 degrees off the core temps with a lower and much more stable voltage.

Most articles that I've read on the I7-6700k seem to imply that you only need around 1.2v to run at stock. So it looks like MSI have been listening.

This is more like it folks. This should give some serious overclocking headroom for me. And no nasty voltage spikes.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Last edited:
Very interesting, seen this on another forum, booby being put right, so us skylake users will get better results from our GPU's.

An update on the issue of discrete GPU performance of Skylake versus earlier generations:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9607/skylake-discrete-graphics-performance-pcie-optimizations

In summery - Seems like this FCLK (f-clock) should've been running at 1GHz (100MHz BCLK with a 10x multiplier) instead of the 800MHz that it defaulted to. After this change any overclock we have will probably require some retesting to see if it's still stable, as we've been testing them in an 800MHz FCLK environment.

Right put my memory on xmp and now running at its 3000mhz, but i have looked all over the bios, and cant find anywhere to change cpu to 45 x 100 ? can someone direct me to the section, cheers

Right put my memory on xmp and now running at its 3000mhz, but i have looked all over the bios, and cant find anywhere to change cpu to 45 x 100 ? can someone direct me to the section, cheers

Think this is your board isn't it!? http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-z170-rog-maximus-viii-hero-review,8.html

There should be an item in your BIOS called "CPU Ratio".
It's usualy right at the top of the OC settings in your BIOS.

Highlight this and tap the + key to set it to what you want.

Press F10 to exit and save the BIOS.

Then come back in the BIOS and check the ratio is 45.
I'd also see what Vcore the board is giving your chip at this ratio.

Last edited:
Cheers, i only see core ratio limit per core, is that what i change ?

You usually have two options to choose from (drop down menu / window):

1) CPU Core ratio ... just change this to 45 or whatever.
2) Ratio limit per core. This is only really if you want to set different ratios depending on how many core are being used. Though nothing to just stop you setting each of these to 45. It achieves the same aim.

Not used an ASUS board for many, many years. Last would probably have held a Pentium 4 chip.

Good luck.

PS. No need to change anything else to start with.
You just need to check on re-booting the BIOS, what Vcore it's giving the chip at that ratio. On my board I found a ratio of 44 on auto was fine (1.288v) but anything above that and it was well above 1.3v and at that point I think that I would want to do things like setting the Vcore manually.

Last edited:
Ok will have a go, but my core voltage is on 1.328v even at all default in bios, thought these cpu's are good to 1.4 anyway, strange people are only getting like a 200mhz overclock, i got like a 800mhz even on my old dual core easily.

Ok will have a go, but my core voltage is on 1.328v even at all default in bios, thought these cpu's are good to 1.4 anyway, strange people are only getting like a 200mhz overclock, i got like a 800mhz even on my old dual core easily.

Cant really compare different generations of CPU's.

As an example. My sandy bridge chip was capable of a massive OC, even on auto settings. But with each new generation, the die shrinks and more heat gets generated, thus basically liimitting any potential OC.

Plus different batches of chips can get a different vid stamped on them.

Also over clocking on auto is never the best way to get the highest OC. You will need to delve into adjusting things manually for that. Auto always tends to see on the side of caution and gives a bit more voltage than actually required.

Also comes down to how well you motherboard is actually capable of controlling and stabilising the voltage requirement. The MSI board on the latest BIOS is substantially better at doing this on the latest BIOS than it was on previous ones. Comes down to BIOS maturity. A classic case of being an early adopter is not always a good idea.

Plus its also a matter of what voltage you are happy with on a day to day basis. 1.4/1.45 may in theory be OK.... But can't say I would personally be happy with this 24/7. Up to individuals to decide what they are happy with.

Most chips should make 4.6/4.8 but I doubt this would be on auto with power saving features enabled.

Good luck.

Cheers, well i have settled with 4.5 for now temp 69c prime max heat test, i manually set vcore to 2.8 in bios, all going well, but when i open up asus ai suite 3, it shows cpu core voltage as 1.328v ? any ideals why.

Cheers, well i have settled with 4.5 for now temp 69c prime max heat test, i manually set vcore to 2.8 in bios, all going well, but when i open up asus ai suite 3, it shows cpu core voltage as 1.328v ? any ideals why.

Don't know that asus program but I would have thought that it might well be showing the vcore set in the BIOS! Almost makes me wonder if the value of 2.8 that you set has been saved. Check again in the BIOS what vcore its saying.

When running something stressful (eg. Prime95) what voltage is actually being used? Something like HW Monitor comes in handy here.

Temps sound fine. But going by my own experiences, depending on CPU cooling, at around 70c I would almost be thinking that it's pulling more than 2.8v!

Question. Is the voltage still running adaptive (ie. It goes up and down)?

Well i set to manual voltage in bios and typed in 2.80, there is a adaptive option as well, but i did not chouse that, just manual, will try HW monitor, when i then tried another stress program, i think it was intel burn test, it only showed voltage of 3, so i am getting different voltages, i thought when you set manual in bios, that is all the volts it should give you correct ? thx again.

Back
Top Bottom