• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9 9900k

Neither is perfect. In an ideal world we would have absolute transparency from Intel and this conversation would be unnecessary.

Having seen people quoting different vcores from cpuid, hwinfo, bios, underload, with llc x on board y or z I find it hard to take any meaningful info from the stats people post.

Not to mention the inherent bias towards people with decent silicon posting vs those with poor clockers remaining silent.

Gathering a range of vcore to use from that quagmire of settings and willy waving is less useful, imo, than taking a large scale controlled test and using common sense to make reasonable assumptions.

But this is only my opinion and as you point out, the stats from silicon lottery are not a perfect representation either.

They release the info and I'll continue to post it since i think it is useful. But i agree, that it is limited in what it can tell us.

Yes, the stats are still useful. however, always good to keep in mind that vendors needs for unconditional stability are different to those of gamers, for example.

SL will only be drawing readings from CPUZ, they won’t be pulling readings from the socket. So your comments about other users doing the same being unreliable <CPUZ> is misguided.

The point of this is;

1. More CPU will be 5GHz capable than the stats are dictating

2. VID range is quite large between samples

3. Setting a global AVX offset also limits stat scope as some CPU will require more voltage than others for light and heavy workload, meaning a higher offset may be needed.

4. Load from Prime95 with AVX is not indicative of majority of real-world workloads both in terms of stability and current pulled

Last edited:
Yes, the stats are still useful. however, always good to keep in mind that vendors needs for unconditional stability are different to those of gamers, for example.

SL will only be drawing readings from CPUZ, they won’t be pulling readings from the socket. So your comments about other users doing the same being unreliable <CPUZ> is misguided.

Absolutely, stability means different things to different people and vendors like silicon lottery will prioritise it over lower vcore and temps.

I have no issue with cpuz or any other method of recording vcore.

I do take issue with the many different forum posts that announce an overclock at x vcore and don't say what software was used to record it. Or when people try to compare vcore posted by user x with cpuz to vcore posted by user z with vcore from hwinfo. They are not comparable, that was the point i was making about vcore reporting. I should have been clearer.

Likewise when people post stable ocs with a vcore of x.xxx and fail to mention that it is recorded under heavy load with massive vdroop. How do you then compare that to other users who are reporting their vcore potentially with different software under different load or perhaps at idle? How do you compare when the only info you are given is the vcore and the speed and the tests that were passed?
There are a lot of settings out there but they are not comparable which is my point.

No matter what method SL use to record their voltage settings, the method remains the same for the hundreds or thousands of cpus they bin. So does the load, the hardware etc.

Only the silicon quality changes between tests, and this is recorded, which is what we want to know when trying to figure out whether a cpu is a good, bad or average overclocker compared to the rest of the cpus out there.

Sounds like your board has mce enabled or some other boost going on. Iirc that is 5GHz ish scoring.

Edit - that isn't a bad thing. But you may find that temps are higher with mce than dialing in a 5GHz allcore oc yourself because the boards tend to use higher voltages than if you set them yourself.

I'll have to have a look...In cpu-z its states the clock is 4.7ghz

Just ran Firestrike and got 22,065

https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17557935

Just using XMP at 3200 MHz. I've dropped the SA and IO down to 1.15 for each now.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to CPU temps.

Just about staying under 80c max. Just spikes though at heavy load (in game). Usually stays in the 60's and 70's. And the average temps are pretty good.

Not using an offset which makes a massive difference.

Might have to just call it a day there and see how it gets on in hotter weather!

What cooler?

Just using XMP at 3200 MHz. I've dropped the SA and IO down to 1.15 for each now.

Doesn't seem to make much difference to CPU temps.

Just about staying under 80c max. Just spikes though at heavy load (in game). Usually stays in the 60's and 70's. And the average temps are pretty good.

Not using an offset which makes a massive difference.

Might have to just call it a day there and see how it gets on in hotter weather!

Noes!

No hotter weather thanks. Winter is fine :cool:

I also thought about grabbing both, but right now the 9900k is enough for my needs. Unfortunately a 2700x wouldn't have been or I would have saved some money on the build.

Perhaps zen 2 will shake things up.

Have you tried pushing your cpu to see how far it will go easyrider?

I also thought about grabbing both, but right now the 9900k is enough for my needs. Unfortunately a 2700x wouldn't have been or I would have saved some money on the build.

Perhaps zen 2 will shake things up.

Have you tried pushing your cpu to see how far it will go easyrider?

I’m going to be tweaking tonight. :)

I know it's not a 9900k but i am having a terrible time with my 9700k hanging during boot or getting into windows then rebooting even with stock settings, spent hours last night trying to fix it, it worked for a few hours previously.

I'm using Gigabyte aorus memory on a maximus hero and i think it should be fine with that memory, i've seen others use it on this board, not sure if it's the memory, mobo or cpu that is the problem.

I've asked to return the memory and if that's not the problem i'll have to return the cpu and mobo.

I know it's not a 9900k but i am having a terrible time with my 9700k hanging during boot or getting into windows then rebooting even with stock settings, spent hours last night trying to fix it, it worked for a few hours previously.

I'm using Gigabyte aorus memory on a maximus hero and i think it should be fine with that memory, i've seen others use it on this board, not sure if it's the memory, mobo or cpu that is the problem.

I've asked to return the memory and if that's not the problem i'll have to return the cpu and mobo.

Can you load memtest on to a bootable USB drive and check your RAM?

Back
Top Bottom