• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9 9900k

Just noticed on my z390 board my GPU is stuck in x4 speeds at all times, i'm starting to think the motherboard is at fault here and not the memory.

Last edited:
I can't seem to change the memory voltage from 1.2 on my maximus hero, that must be why the xmp profile doesn't work and it doesn't change manually either, guess i'll be sending the board back and going with something else.

Does't matter what I do..The Asrock Extreme 4 will boot at 5000ghz but wont run cinebench even at 1.35 v...The mobo is tat!

As soon as a I start it I get a Blue screen windows error report screen. Not sure what else I can try in the bios now....

It will run fine at 4.7ghz all day long though....

Last edited:
So you now have this?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-6cq-as.html

No issues with the 4 phase VRM then? I want an ASUS bios but can't bring myself to drop 270 on a 4 phase VRM :(

The issue people took with it was that it was advertised as 8 vs 4.

The fact that it is absolutely fine for OC the 9900k and has been shown to do high clocks on air and much higher clocks (6ghz+) on exotic cooling was known at release. The VRM has never limited the CPU in any review or test I've seen.

The advertising blunder is what makes people think it isn't capable. That and reviewers testing motherboards with zero airflow on vrms which show high temps. But even in those worst case scenarios, the VRM is more than capable and the temps don't reduce performance. Good for generating clicks tho.

Taken in isolation, is it worth paying more for a 'fat 4' over an 8 phase vrm? Probably not where the quality of components in the two is the same. But motherboards aren't just about the VRMs.

Not to mention the fact that a high quality VRM with fewer phases can outperform a low quality VRM with more phases.

I believe there is a premium to be paid for the Asus name just because they think they can get away with it. And i think it is fair to say that in terms of power delivery (according to buildzoid) you can get equally good or better from gigabyte for less money. None of this means the board is bad. Overpriced, sure: It's Asus.

I would avoid Asus because they cost more and their customer service is supposed to be bottom of the barrel bad. Like, don't even bother bad. Just accept that if it breaks, you're ******.

I think i can now also add deceptive or misleading marketing to the list, but the jury is still out on this for me.

As for why I would pick them: looks, excellent bios and memory overclocking as well as Aura.

Outside of this you need to consider any other features you want from the mobo and go with the one that best meets your requirements.

The VRMs on the maximus xi line aren't a problem. In fact they've allowed several overclocking world records and high scores, so they aren't even close to being a problem.

The issue people took with it was that it was advertised as 8 vs 4.

The fact that it is absolutely fine for OC the 9900k and has been shown to do high clocks on air and much higher clocks (6ghz+) on exotic cooling was known at release. The VRM has never limited the CPU in any review or test I've seen.

The advertising blunder is what makes people think it isn't capable. That and reviewers testing motherboards with zero airflow on vrms which show high temps. But even in those worst case scenarios, the VRM is more than capable and the temps don't reduce performance. Good for generating clicks tho.

Taken in isolation, is it worth paying more for a 'fat 4' over an 8 phase vrm? Probably not where the quality of components in the two is the same. But motherboards aren't just about the VRMs.

Not to mention the fact that a high quality VRM with fewer phases can outperform a low quality VRM with more phases.

I believe there is a premium to be paid for the Asus name just because they think they can get away with it. And i think it is fair to say that in terms of power delivery (according to buildzoid) you can get equally good or better from gigabyte for less money. None of this means the board is bad. Overpriced, sure: It's Asus.

I would avoid Asus because they cost more and their customer service is supposed to be bottom of the barrel bad. Like, don't even bother bad. Just accept that if it breaks, you're ******.

I think i can now also add deceptive or misleading marketing to the list, but the jury is still out on this for me.

As for why I would pick them: looks, excellent bios and memory overclocking as well as Aura.

Outside of this you need to consider any other features you want from the mobo and go with the one that best meets your requirements.

The VRMs on the maximus xi line aren't a problem. In fact they've allowed several overclocking world records and high scores, so they aren't even close to being a problem.

I'm looking at the MSI MEG Z390 ACE LGA 1151 DDR4 ATX Motherboard...Something is not right with this Asrock mobo at 5ghz....And I can't belive its that much of a **** chip...

Ordered some hyperx memory to see if that helps, thanks for tips.

Just as a note, I was using Hyper X memory with my Asus Maximus XI. If it's an RGB set and you want to control it, I never could.

AURA couldn't see the ram, and it simply kept flashing with it's default RGB setup. This was very annoying with a window... couldn't even turn it off!

So avoid an Asus motherboard perhaps! I ended up going with G.Skill in the end.

Back
Top Bottom