• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I9 9900k

Well board and cpu just arrived, looks like the processor was produced in week 35, so between 27th Aug - 2nd Sept, and number 80 on the wafer, some used to say this was an indicator of how well the processor would OC, not so sure myself, we will see, lol.

Hello Moorhen2, I have received a CPU with batch L835D820 which seems similar to your one (week 35). What is your exact batch ? Do you consider yours as a golden chip ? Which frequency were you able to squeeze out of it (under which voltage/MB) ? Thank you

The Asrock was 12 phase and wouldn't even bench at 5ghz

I'm not allowing myself to get hung up Phase counts and Marketing BS :p

And the Asus Bios gave me a warm hug :D
The VRMs have never been an issue for me either. The way they were marketed has for sure, but that's an issue that has no bearing on how stable this motherboard is.

There's plenty of other examples of the Maximus line doing really well with the 9 series so in the real world it's a non issue. Despite this evidence being available prior to and even more so since the VRM marketing blunder, it is something people tend to mention when the z390 asus line comes up, hence my comment.

As you've seen yourself, the number of VRMs a board has isn't the be all and end all of overclocking or power delivery.

And yeah, the BIOS is nice. :cool:

See how far you can push that CPU before you settle on your daily overclock! :D

Let me preface this by saying, this is an option, not a requirement. Trolls be gone.

For those that haven't seen this yet.

And here is the product page at OCUK.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/der8auer-intel-9th-gen-oc-frame-hs-008-dr.html

I did wonder why there wasn't the option of something like this when the 8700k and 8086k were the top mainstream CPUs and this video answers that mystery which is nice.

Regardless of whether you want to delid or not, having the choice is a good thing in my opinion. As are the various options for thermal interface material, heat spreaders and die guards. Long live plenty of choice! :D

As of right now for anyone wanting to take the entirely optional step of delidding their 9 series CPU, there are at least 2 options for copper IHS replacements (with larger surface area than the original which should improve heat transfer to the heatsink), this die guard and the option of mounting directly on the bare die for the brave.

None of this requires any grinding or sanding, however some scraping may be required to remove the solder tim before applying liquid metal. Unless you use something like the rockit quicksilver product which means no scraping or blades.

And then of course, there is always the option of grinding down the die some if you absolutely have to have those extra few degrees and are living on the edge.

Personally the bleeding edge isn't for me. But I am loving the choice and the levels people are willing to go to to push the envelope with overclocking the 9 series.

The VRMs have never been an issue for me either. The way they were marketed has for sure, but that's an issue that has no bearing on how stable this motherboard is.

There's plenty of other examples of the Maximus line doing really well with the 9 series so in the real world it's a non issue. Despite this evidence being available prior to and even more so since the VRM marketing blunder, it is something people tend to mention when the z390 asus line comes up, hence my comment.

As you've seen yourself, the number of VRMs a board has isn't the be all and end all of overclocking or power delivery.

And yeah, the BIOS is nice. :cool:

See how far you can push that CPU before you settle on your daily overclock! :D

Ive just read this in der8auer voice :P

Hello Moorhen2, I have received a CPU with batch L835D820 which seems similar to your one (week 35). What is your exact batch ? Do you consider yours as a golden chip ? Which frequency were you able to squeeze out of it (under which voltage/MB) ? Thank you

Hi, I cant remember the exact batch number of the top of my head, it was a Tray processor, if it were a boxed one it has the batch number on the box. I wouldn't say its a Golden chip, but it is well above average. Will do 5.4ghz, but no where near what you can call stable. My 24/7 overclock is 52/49, using Adaptive Voltage, idle at 1.300v, load voltage of 1.320v.

But remember no two chips will be the same, Silicon Lottery.

Hi, I cant remember the exact batch number of the top of my head, it was a Tray processor, if it were a boxed one it has the batch number on the box. I wouldn't say its a Golden chip, but it is well above average. Will do 5.4ghz, but no where near what you can call stable. My 24/7 overclock is 52/49, using Adaptive Voltage, idle at 1.300v, load voltage of 1.320v.

But remember no two chips will be the same, Silicon Lottery.
Thank you for your details / answers. May I ask how do you cool that beast ? I purshased a Noctua NH-D15 (supposedly one of the best air cooler) but I doubt this will allow cooling my overclocked 9900k @5GHz (1.28V) with a closed case. This thing runs so hot, even with a beefy double tower heatsink !

Thank you for your details / answers. May I ask how do you cool that beast ? I purshased a Noctua NH-D15 (supposedly one of the best air cooler) but I doubt this will allow cooling my overclocked 9900k @5GHz (1.28V) with a closed case. This thing runs so hot, even with a beefy double tower heatsink !

I use custom watercooling, 2x 360 rads, 1x 240 rad and 1x120 rad, and an XSPC Raystorm Pro block.

Back
Top Bottom