Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
While im doing all this, what shall I do about squats, do deloads to focus on form, so I dont put too much weight on the bar while my form is bad and cause further lower back issues.

Man of Honour
OP
For now, just go as deep as you can without rounding your back, but don't increase the weight to compensate for the fact that this is easier. You should have it all fixed in a couple of weeks.

Soldato
Need some help, my right shoulder from about the top of my back following the curve of my shoulder blade feels sore. It's a cross between doms and that stiff feeling from having slept funny. I stretch regularly but do limited soft tissue work in this area due to a lack of tools, I want to avoid this turning in to an injury, and I would prefer it not to hamper progress.

What's the best thing I could do to help this recover?

Soldato
I've even taped 2 feet markers to floor for squats, so I get used to the same stance as it feels comfortable now, even if it wide (cant push knee's out if feet placement is too less than shoulder width).

Man of Honour
OP
Need some help, my right shoulder from about the top of my back following the curve of my shoulder blade feels sore. It's a cross between doms and that stiff feeling from having slept funny. I stretch regularly but do limited soft tissue work in this area due to a lack of tools, I want to avoid this turning in to an injury, and I would prefer it not to hamper progress.

What's the best thing I could do to help this recover?
Can't really tell what you're describing (can you find a picture?), but assuming it's fairly minor the best thing for it would be some soft tissue work. You might have to get creative with tools though, or just get someone to jab a handle of some sort in the area.
I've even taped 2 feet markers to floor for squats, so I get used to the same stance as it feels comfortable now, even if it wide (cant push knee's out if feet placement is too less than shoulder width).
Hmm, that's ok for now but you should work on being able to get a nice looking squat with a narrower stance too. Your stance should be dictated by what's strongest, not temporary soft tissue limitations.

Soldato
Hmm, that's ok for now but you should work on being able to get a nice looking squat with a narrower stance too. Your stance should be dictated by what's strongest, not temporary soft tissue limitations.

I will try. I'll use the markers as where my feet start and see If i can get it narrower as I go a long, like a before and after :)

Associate
It's certainly possible to over-do external rotator work. The way I do it these days is to pair it up with any days I stretch my pecs or anterior shoulder (internal rotation stretches), or any soft tissue work to those areas (you didn't mention doing this, make sure you are!). This means you can take up the new slack you've stretched out/soft-tissue-ified (??) with external rotation rather than let it be passively sucked back in by your pecs and aterior tissues. I would do this a maximum of three times a week, but the most important thing is to listen to your body.

I would do ab work 2 times a week to really annihilate it, any more and you might interfere with your other gym/whatever work. Those are great choices, but I would also add leg/knee raises and reverse crunches.

An important factor for those dealing with APT is strengthening the correct muscles. Have a read of this:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...formance_repair/core_training_for_smart_folks

I now emphasise external oblique activation on all my core work.

Cheers for that Ice.
I do do foam rolling and hockeyball rolling but I've haven't figured out the best way to roll my pecs yet. Have you got any tips?

Associate
This is some really fantastic stuff Ice, albeit a lot to take in. That mwod guy however speaks incredibly fast and uses terminology that I cannot comprehend, nonetheless you're able to get the jist of it.

I might throw up a video of my squat form sometime soon.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together man :)

Soldato
This is some really fantastic stuff Ice, albeit a lot to take in. That mwod guy however speaks incredibly fast and uses terminology that I cannot comprehend, nonetheless you're able to get the jist of it.

Yea, its great stuff. Hips have never been so sore from all the mobility work! :D

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers for that Ice.
I do do foam rolling and hockeyball rolling but I've haven't figured out the best way to roll my pecs yet. Have you got any tips?
There is a video on one of the pages...

Walls and their corners become very useful.

Do it!

It's worth taking the time to learn some of what he's talking about, but yes he is quite full on.

Yea, its great stuff. Hips have never been so sore from all the mobility work! :D

Loving the thread, will be sifting through it later to try and make my shoulders kimura/armericana proof :)
:cool:

Soldato
Morning Ice.

I was wondering if you could recommend a place for me to buy bands from. I've got the hard ball and foam roller, but just missing the band (which it looks like most of my mobility work is focused around).

Thanks! :)

Soldato
Man of Honour
OP
There are a couple of places to get them from. They will be more or less the same products so just buy the cheapest.

Green is the best for most stretching and joint manipulation, but the lighter ones have their uses too.

Soldato
MP ones come in pairs, where as the pullum ones dont. Although I really only need one; MP just works out cheaper when thinking of what I get for the money. That and most places sell them, but dont have the actual resistance they provide :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom