Icecold's mobility thread

Man of Honour
OP
I've been thinking that what would help you the most is doing a hobby that encouraged good mechanics...

Any sporting activities you can think of?

Caporegime
I've been thinking that what would help you the most is doing a hobby that encouraged good mechanics...

Any sporting activities you can think of?

Not really, they all involve money. :p For instance, swimming is good for me, but it costs money, squash I like, but it costs money :o

I used to skateboard...not anymore mind :p Probably one of the reason for other issues :D

Caporegime
The answer is simple, win the lottery and start playing squash, swimming and gymnastics.

You're welcome.

Thanks matey!

In all seriousness, would something like the no money theoretically help with shoulder issues in some form? Or are you aware of what part of the shoulder this would help?

ie, are my shoulders screwed from what you can remember? :p

Man of Honour
OP
Your shoulders are totally fixable! Things like no monies, and just generally using them properly, are exactly what you need to fix them.

What's killing you is that you spend 99% of your time in bad positions, moving badly. As perfect as you can be in the gym, that's only an hour 3 times a week.

Consider the time you spend sleeping, that's ~8 hours a night, and if you're in a bad position it has a lot more accumulative influence on your posture than you will ever accrue from the gym.

The same principal applies to your office chair, walking around, sitting watching TV, EVERYTHING. Fixing that stuff is free, you just need to pay attention and do it.

Maybe save up and buy some gymnastics rings to put up somewhere.

Caporegime
Your shoulders are totally fixable! Things like no monies, and just generally using them properly, are exactly what you need to fix them.

What's killing you is that you spend 99% of your time in bad positions, moving badly. As perfect as you can be in the gym, that's only an hour 3 times a week.

Consider the time you spend sleeping, that's ~8 hours a night, and if you're in a bad position it has a lot more accumulative influence on your posture than you will ever accrue from the gym.

The same principal applies to your office chair, walking around, sitting watching TV, EVERYTHING. Fixing that stuff is free, you just need to pay attention and do it.

Maybe save up and buy some gymnastics rings to put up somewhere.

:D Not really a realistic soloution I'm afraid ;)

I agree with the sleeping, I tend to not sleep on my right shoulder now, as I have done for the last 20 years, instead I try to sleep on my back primarily.

Luckily I actually have a pretty decent office chair, ie not a bog standard chair. So that helps, and I usually don't sit slouched, at work or at home usually.

Will look in to what I can do anyway :)

Soldato
Caporegime
Hm, been trying to actively pin my shoulder blades etc while sitting at the desk...I can really feel the difference in my damaged shoulder (ie right one)

It just feels like it's rotated more round than the left =/ It's hard to explain

Man of Honour
OP
Hey Ice

I have a quick question! I've been reading this and it looks like I may be suffering from the same. I was wondering is there any other mobility work I can add to the list it already gives me, to help with Lordosis.

I've also been looking at:

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2011/04/episode-214365-help-my-low-back-is-smoked-from-jumping.html

Although its not to do with jumping, it still targets my lower back.

Yep, could be tight hip flexors/psoas/anterior hip. Stretch and perform soft tissue work on these, and work on strengthening your external obliques/lower abs/transverse abdominis.

I like how the guy pictured on that site didn't fix his shoulders at all...

Stretch pec minor and strengthen deep neck flexors, scapular adductors, and external rotators of the shoulder.

Soldato
Me again! :D

I will be posting up a deadlift form video up soon. So, wondered if you could take a look and critique for me :).

Just trying to make sure I look at the possible lifts that could damage my lower back if im doing them wrong and looks like its Deadlift's turn!

Soldato
Ok bringing my back rounding issues here as seems a more appropriate place for specific advise, here is a couple of vids of my trying to bend from the hip. I can clearly see the rounding that i want to get rid.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok bringing my back rounding issues here as seems a more appropriate place for specific advise, here is a couple of vids of my trying to bend from the hip. I can clearly see the rounding that i want to get rid.
vids

Looks like tight hamstrings, they are stopping your pelvis rotating prematurely meaning to achieve any more movement you have to flex (round) your lower back.

To test the lenght of your hamstrings lay down and do this:-

xvWnG.jpg

You must keep the back of the knee of bottom leg flat against the floor/bed and try to straighten the top leg as much as you can.
Ideal is being able to get the top leg vertical (or better) without the pelvis tilting causing your ther knee to lift off the floor/bed.

If they are tight stretch the hell out of them.

Back
Top Bottom