Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
The more I read this thread the more overloaded I am with exercises :o

The squat one I posted earlier for hips is amazing, so I will continue to do that.

Today I'm going deads though and thinking I should do something about my glutes. Whilst there are bands in the gym it can be a bit hard to work around that area because they're tied to the bench press bench and there isn't a lot of space.

I think this will do for today: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3278764110418040656#

Not sure what to do for chest and back though. I don't have a ball but I think there are some foam rollers in the gym.

Found this post by FF but have no idea what any of it means:

This is the mobility work I do now before sessions:

upper body mobility:
IT Band (I need to do this even with upper body - so tight)
Hip Flexors
Glutes (piriformis)
Thoracic Spine
Shoulder (Infraspinatus)
Pecs
Lats

All the above with foam roller or hard ball

Shoulder disolacations (use a band for this)
Pec mobilisations
Scapula push ups
Scaupla wall slides
Bent over YTWs
Thoracic extensions
Divebomber push ups
clap push ups

Lower body:

IT Band
Glutes
Hip Flexors
Thoracic spine
Adductors

All the above with foam roller

Fire Hydrants clockwise and anticlockwise
Mountain climbers
Thoracic extensions
Squat to Stand
Lateral squats
Wall squats
Bridges
Medicine ball slams

Caporegime
It's a mental thing primarily, you need to TELL yourself to sit up straight, in time, you will do this automatically without thinking about it. :)

You slouch now because it's 'normal' for your body to do so ;)

Soldato
It's a mental thing primarily, you need to TELL yourself to sit up straight, in time, you will do this automatically without thinking about it. :)

You slouch now because it's 'normal' for your body to do so ;)

Yeah, Making a real effort today, hoping its the start of something good :D

Back is aching from it. MAN UP AND PUSH ON!

Man of Honour
OP
It's literally just a case of finding a way to remember all the time. Maybe associate checking with something you do frequently at you desk.

Spend some time stretching pec minor and strengthening your deep neck flexors, I think there are exercises for both dotted around.

Caporegime
"Do" rather than "look" and you might get it :p

Wide grip to begin with.

I have...I swear everyones out to nit-pick my comments on here lately :p

Tried with a broom handle and it's a no go really. Will keep trying mind :)

Do you think they will be generally beneficial?

EDIT: Done it with a skipping rope while keeping tensions tight...Looks like I need a longer handled broom :p That or work with the rope until grip gets narrower

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
To be fair you didn't make it at all clear that you'd tried it! :)

They are useful, so use your rope and aim to bring your hands closer together.

If you have a red band (mini??), then try that too.

Caporegime
To be fair you didn't make it at all clear that you'd tried it! :)

They are useful, so use your rope and aim to bring your hands closer together.

If you have a red band (mini??), then try that too.

True that ;)

I need to buy some bands, and a foam roller as I now have a bit more disposable income :)

Are these linked to in the OP? Or can you give me some names and I'll have a look.

I think my shoulders aren't the most flexible of things, so i'll have to work on the dislocations.

Are the 'no moneys' a good thing to incorporate as I think you suggested as well? :)

Soldato
Mr ice cold if i put my hand on the back of my neck/traps and move my elbow from pointing forwards to pointing to the side should my shoulder do a mini dislocation on the way :o it doesn't feel pretty that's for sure

Man of Honour
OP
Just did that a few times to figure out what you meant

Possible causes:

- tight/ropey pecs
- tight/ropey anterior shoulder
- weak posterior shoulder (lateral rotators, etc. etc.)
- poor scap control (lower trap not engaging, scap adductors are ****, etc.)

Edit:
Things to try:
- facepulls
- no money drill
- "YTW" drill that Defranco uses, particularly the "Y" bit
- Second part of this
- soft tissue work on pec
- stretch pec

Last edited:
Soldato
Noticed a few more resistance bands in the gym the other day, there are some tied around the bench press but there are some on hooks on the wall, they're a creamy colour but with red, green and maybe a different colour also on them, I'm guessing that relates to the tension of the band?

Soldato
Feels more joint related than muscular but i suppose that doesn't really mean a lot. I'll look on mwod as soon as i get internet fixed in my house (who knows when that might be :o) All my joints are ropey though :cool:

Actually come to think of it my hips do a similar thing. If i lie on my back bring my knee to my chest then extend my leg outwards and down in a circular motion i get an awful click into place as it nears the bottom. That one really doesn't feel good :p

edit: nice one cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Noticed a few more resistance bands in the gym the other day, there are some tied around the bench press but there are some on hooks on the wall, they're a creamy colour but with red, green and maybe a different colour also on them, I'm guessing that relates to the tension of the band?
Yep, although I'm not certain that the colours are standard.
Feels more joint related than muscular but i suppose that doesn't really mean a lot. I'll look on mwod as soon as i get internet fixed in my house (who knows when that might be :o) All my joints are ropey though :cool:

Actually come to think of it my hips do a similar thing. If i lie on my back bring my knee to my chest then extend my leg outwards and down in a circular motion i get an awful click into place as it nears the bottom. That one really doesn't feel good :p

edit: nice one cheers
Muscles play a critical role in your joints, so you shouldn't really think of them as being separate in this case.

For example, the problems I described will rotate shoulders inwards/forwards/down, pulling the scapula out of position. This means your shoulder joint can't function properly, which can feel like there is something in way when you try and move into certain positions.

I know the pain of having no interwebs, 3 months of tethering :(

Soldato
which can feel like there is something in way when you try and move into certain positions.

I know the pain of having no interwebs, 3 months of tethering :(

THAT IS EXACTLY THE FEELING BUT I COULDN'T DESCRIBE IT. I get that with my elbows sometimes too when i extend my arm, have to bend it then extend again.

Mine is unreliable at the best of times but it's a step further when someone trips over my cable so hard it breaks the socket :rolleyes:

Associate

Coxa Saltans (snapping hip -internal variant)
Iliopsoas internal snapping hip:

The patient lying supine, bringing the hip from a flexed, abducted, externally rotated position down into extension with internal rotation. Sometimes this is more of a dynamic process that the patient can actively show better than the examiner can passively produce. The snap can also be more subtle and experienced as just a sensation by the patient. [5]

Applying pressure over the anterior joint can block the tendon from snapping and assist in confirming the diagnosis. [5]

The patient in hurdle-sit, pain when palpating deep in the trigonum femorale will occur. [12]

A positive Thomas test is also an indicator [12][13]

Snapping hip usually develops over a long period of time and finally becomes painful enough for the patient to seek medical help. The therapy chosen depends on when the snapping occurs, how long the snapping already exists, frequent or infrequent,… :

Asymptomatic snapping on an infrequent basis, no treatment is needed. [3]

Active rest and avoidance of those activities that produce the snapping if:

• The snapping is of recent onset (within the previous 6 months).
  • Intermittently present.
  • The external or internal variety. [3][5]

Active rest* and corticosteroïd injections into the tendon sheath and associated bursa, followed by stretching and strengthening exercises*:

Snapping present with ADL and painful [3][5]

NSAID’s can be used to reduce the symptoms. The vast majority of patients with a symptomatic snapping hip improve with conservative therapy. [4] The period of recovery can range from weeks to months. The patient or athlete must be pain free with simple activities before attempting to return to the activities that had precipitated the symptoms. [5] Even after this, the patient must be careful to avoid repetitive snapping by modification of his or her exercise program or sport. [3]

Tl;dr - Add illiopsoas stretches to your routine and don't worry about the clicking unless its painful.

Back
Top Bottom