Icecold's mobility thread

Soldato
Yeah I have massively tight hamstrings I can get my legs to about 15 degrees from vertical and then my other leg comes off the floor. I have been stretching my hamstrings for a couple of weeks now with little improvement so any other things I can do would be appreciated

Associate
I'm sure icecold will be round shortly to give you some more stretching/lengthening techniques.
I don't know what stretches you have been doing already or for how long you hold them but In cases where they are as tight as yours I tend to recommend hamstring stretches like this:-

43ayS.jpg

You MUST make sure you keep your trunk as upright as possible and lean forward from the hips. Have a very slight bend in the knee you are stretchingand even put your foot flat on the floor (to offload the sciatic nerve). When you feel the stretch hold it for up to 60 sec and do 3-5 reps. The benefits of this stretch are that if you have a job which involves sitting then you can do them throughout the day.

If you have a partner or training buddy you can get some quite dramatic results (although often only short term) using contract and relax stretches:
see here as just one example.

I am realy interested to see if and how long it takes for you to get to sustained improvement in hamstring length because I gave up trying to stretch mine out years ago.

Man of Honour
OP
Yep, that's the issue! It looks like it's your T-L junction which is over-mobile (not sure if hyper-mobile is the correct term here...), which is slightly safer but still needs to be fixed.

I think a decent plan of action might be:

- Annihilate your posterior chain. Stretching hamstrings and glutes, and performing soft tissue work on both (not forgetting lacrosse ball in your high glute area)

- Work on stabilising your mid-section. Keep deadlifting while being as strict as possible with your set up (load ordering!) and initial pull, and perhaps drop the weight to test whether you can be stricter. If you can, work back up slowly; only increase the weight when you can perform solid sets with your current weight. Beyond deads, strict RDLs where you limit the ROM to just before you lose your back will help. Hammer all core work too, focusing on bracing hard.

I'll have a think and come up with more exercises.

Soldato
Cheers guys really appreciate the advise, now my lacrosse ball has finally arrived I am doing foam roller and lacrosse ball soft tissue work every other day. I will throw in these stretches and keep you posted as this may be a long road :)

Associate
...Stretching hamstrings and glutes, and performing soft tissue work on both (not forgetting lacrosse ball in your high glute area)

Can I ask the rationale for the glutes stretching? Just that I can count the number of times on one hand that ive given out glute stretches. My main reason initially was because I have never found anyone that had 'short' glutes but since then have always avoided regular stretching of them so as not to lenghten them and disrupt their protective 'sling' support of the lower back (in conjunction with the thoracolumbar fascia etc.). I frequently get people to stretch piriformis and other hip structures out for obvious reasons but never the glutes. Im guessing its like the fascial release/rolfing better muscle function stuff as per the ball under the foot for overpronation?

Man of Honour
OP
These, and their variations, are my favourite hamstring stretches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdPfxLXm55Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rj5YOleets

I've made some serious change by swapping between those on most gym days, unless I'm squatting in which case I'll warm up with freestyle versions of this, progressing to some gentle squat to stands. On non-lower body days I'll also sometimes smash high ham with a lacrosse ball, and receive some dodgy looks...

Interesting that you avoid glute stretching. I don't have a fully fleshed out functional-anatomical explanation, but in myself and others I've observed restriction reduce with some glute stretching. It's also a bit of a catch-all suggestion (ensuring external rotation is good, we're primarily programming for squats and deads), but I've found knee under torso variations of this have cleared out some range in the test you posted about above. Whether that's just because that variation also hits a bit of high ham, I don't know! :) But I still class it as a glute stretch, just with some functional carry over to hip extension.

Thanks for the posts btw delbuenno, very helpful. I didn't see them before I posted last.

Associate
Those hamstring stretches are spot on
. It's also a bit of a catch-all suggestion (ensuring external rotation is good, we're primarily programming for squats and deads), but I've found knee under torso variations of this have cleared out some range in the test you posted about above. Whether that's just because that variation also hits a bit of high ham, I don't know! :) But I still class it as a glute stretch, just with some functional carry over to hip extension.

Thanks, yeah as kelly says in that vid that stretch could be hitting any of the external rotators of the hip (piriformis, gemellis sup&inf, obturator in&ext quad fem and even the capsule and ligaments) but primarily it would stretch whichever structure that was causing the most restriction for each individual so yes it would be a good 'catch all' stretch for reduced hip mobility. I do give a very similar stretch myself but its obviously just semantics as I don't call it a 'glutes' stretch as its predominantly the structures beneath them (piriformis, joint capsule etc.) that I'm trying to loosen. So yeah, same thing just different names for it cheers for clearing that up.

Edit: thinking out loud now, that stretch is externally rotating the hip so surely it would be stretching the internal rotators (TFL, ant. glute med, glute min) not the external ones he mentioned (gemellis sup&inf, obturator in&ext quad fem) except maybe piriformis as above 90degs of hip flexion the piriformis internally rotates the hip)?

Anyway whatever it is stretching it will increase your hip range of movement for your squats, putting less load on your back and leave your glute max alone to continue protecting the back.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for all the advise, plan of action will be buy a resistance band and stretch more.

To really work on my posterior chain then I plan to do the following post work out in the evenings:

Monday: legs so soft tissue work with foam roller and lacrosse ball only
Tuesday: shoulders/core, stretching and soft tissue work
Wednesday: rest, stretching only
Thursday: chest/tri's soft tissue work and stretching
Friday: back/Bi's soft tissue work only
Saturday: rest, maybe light stretching only
Sunday: rest, stretching and soft tissue work.

For leg days I will be adding in RDL'S with strict form and ROM ending just before back rounding, also I will be keeping the weight light and be using this more as a weighted stretch then a lift.

I will be using the seated stretch and until my resistance band arrives I have managed to convince my wife to help me with some resistance on my stretching. I do also do other mobility work but aim to give 10 mins per outlined session over to my posterior chain as this is not an area that I want to turn in to a problem.

I will keep you posted on progress cheers guys.

Caporegime
Can't find the vid with Mark Rippetoe showing it how to do it...

But from what I remember, do the knees not need to be un-locked? Figured your butt needs to go back more too? :) Think that helps with getting the hams more.

Please correct if wrong obviously

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
His knees are unlocked :)
Butt looks OK to me, you should always have tension on the hams/glutes otherwise you'll load the lower back. I instructed him to stick his butt out and keep the tension on the right areas.
Have you done RDL?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Nope, the hips go back and you hold the bar against your legs using your lats. If you keep the legs straight you'll limit the ROM massively.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yep those RDLs look good. You shouldn't really be looking sideways, but it's fine for now.

- bar against legs - check
- arse back - check
- descend until hamstring stretch - seems to be check!
- fully braced core with unchanging spine position - mostly check

Keep working at it, trying to get as much of a hamstring stretch as possible while aiming for zero movement in your spine (including neck).

Soldato
Ice, Im currently trying to improve my posture as Im a terrible sloucher "You have the posture of a bricky who has been doing the job all his life!" as my doc said....at 24...not so good!

Im doing exercises daily and forcing myself to sit up straight, however I seem to slouch straight away....what say you on a back support to almost force my back into place?

Back
Top Bottom